By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Are Sony or MS capable of creating a cultural phenomenon like Pokemon Go?

Are they?

No, only Nintendo with Pokemon. 328 78.47%

Yes, Sony with __________. 61 14.59%

Yes, Microsoft with____________. 29 6.94%

Total:418

It depends, Halo is hailed by many as a life changing experience on the of Xbox (I personally do not care for it)... Sony had some serious impact on culture in general with Wipeout, maybe TLoU ... but even if I could not care less for Pokemon I see how it makes a mark, but couldn't you say that about angry birds as well? Free is accessible by anyone! And well it's on the phones si it can be had without dedicated gaming hardware, much like other popular free phone games... people who aren't "gamers" probably play much more than those who claim to be the hardest of the Hardcores...

Around the Network

No. Pokemon as a brand still resonates strongly with millions of people around the world. It was a worldwide phenomenon back in the day and it managed to capture the casual audience who are now casual mobile gamers. Sony and Microsoft do not have a brand/IP that comes close to Pokemon in terms of scale. Not even Minecraft(even though that was not made by Microsoft) resonates among the general population like Pokemon.

Carl2291 said:
gatito said:

They said the same thing about Angry Birds, did you go see their movie? Yeah, nobody did.

Don't be ignorant. Do your research.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=angrybirds.htm

I think what he meant to say, is the success of that brand did not live up the leverage of the brand that is Angry Birds, however I agree with you, people remember angry birds, it still can sell, but not obviously to the level of popularity it once was. Warcraft is another cultural phenomenon. 

Carl2291 said:
You have to remember that Microsoft has Minecraft, which is as strong as it's ever been and growing stronger all the time. It's the only IP that either Sony or MS holds that has any chance of doing something similar to Pokémon.

They just need to hit the right notes.

I thought about Minecraft, but I feel it was already an established product before Microsoft acquired it and it was done individually, so it doesn't seem like that MS should credit as their own success.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

SpokenTruth said:
kitler53 said:
is nintendo?

niantic did all the work of creating the genre before nintendo ever got involved.

So what you're saying is neither Sony nor MS can repliate this success.

Got it.

angry birds.  words with friends.  candy crush.

all made by nobody developers at the time.  clearly anyone can make a very successful mobile game.  sony or ms could do it just as well as anyone else if they were putting effort there.  hell,.. halo, minecraft, uncharted, god of war, warcraft, grand theft auto, ect. are already reconized franchises by non-gamers.  you're fooling yourself if you think nintendo is special.

Around the Network
Carl2291 said:
gatito said:

They said the same thing about Angry Birds, did you go see their movie? Yeah, nobody did.

Don't be ignorant. Do your research.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=angrybirds.htm

Yeah I've seen those numbers, it struggled to break even. Is 300k worldwide an achievement for a movie based on a brand that they used to think would be bigger than Mickey Mouse and Mario? Really?

the answer is probably not in the same way, though i can't begin to grasp what the hell is so enticing about pokemon itself. i absolutely despise that entire franchise (games and anime), but i guess there's a huge crowd that feels differently. more power to them, hope they keep enjoying

Honestly, IP wise I doubt Sony or MS can make anything that can match Pokemon Go. It's such a well recognized and loved franchise that's been around for a long time, and I don't see them making anything on that level.

You could say Sony did that already hardware wise.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

"If you can't beat them, join them"
Sony is already ahead of Microsoft!

Pocky Lover Boy! 

They could if they wanted. It's not exactly difficult or expensive to make a mobile game or app. Plus, sony and microsoft are fairly good at marketing something when they really want to. Just look at Game of war. I'm sure many people have seen their ads with that lovely model and it was one of the top grossing apps in 2014/2015

Admittedly, the craze over that game is doing wonders for the Pokemon IP which the pokemon company (nintendo, game freak, creatures) should capitalize on. I'm curious to see how well this game does over the year and next year.