By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - 2D Mario games should ditch wall sliding and wall jumping

with older games when you were out of continues you also were game over

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network
noname2200 said:
JazzB1987 said:

In SMW you could take a turtle shell and kick it upwards to hit 1UP blocks being way above you. Same was possible with those blocks that started to blink once you grabend them.

Ah, that's right. Haven't played World in quite some time!

You could even catch the shell midair and keep kicking it upwards.

TM25 said:
 I don't necessarily believe that what your experiencing is due to wall climbing but the allowances being made in the level design for the multiplayer?

Hmm, that is a possibility, although if so I have to say some parts of the games represent unhappy compromises between the single and multiplayer then. I do have the same feeling with the handheld games, but I chalk that up to those two titles simply not being as good as the rest of the series: the development staff of NSMB and NSMB 2 was different, as I recall.

kirby007 said:

As far as I remember, all of the old games had infinite continues.

On topic: I don't think the games need to get rid of wall sliding and jumping. On the more difficult levels, the wall jump is not going to save your life because the pits are so wide that you can't make it back up. The benefit of wall jumping is that it adds more dynamic to the game, especially in vertical levels.

In the end it comes down to the level design taking these new abilities into account.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

I say leave it in...but make it a requirement to use in in a skillful way to reach hidden areas. Would also be cool to add an item/ability that uses your wall slide to build up static electricity that would then allow you to walk/run along the ceiling.

Edit: A cool animation for this would be Mario's hat flying off and his hair sticking straight up as if he had been electrocuted.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:

On topic: I don't think the games need to get rid of wall sliding and jumping. On the more difficult levels, the wall jump is not going to save your life because the pits are so wide that you can't make it back up. The benefit of wall jumping is that it adds more dynamic to the game, especially in vertical levels.

In the end it comes down to the level design taking these new abilities into account.

By the same token though Nintendo hasn't really done that outside of a few Star Coin areas and - if their internal data reflects that my friends'/family's performance is typical - I suspect they never will get too advanced with it. The attraction of 2D Mario lies in part on its simplicity: you may be called on to almost master some of the techniques, but there are only a handful of said techniques to master, with level design and enemy placement introducing the vast majority of the games' variety. The more layers you add on, the more danger there is of turning some folks off. I don't think it's an insurmountable barrier, but Nintendo has had four bites at the apple and still refused to swallow.

TM25 said:
I like the wall jump, I believe that while it saves you from pits it allows for more verticality in the level design and the ability to retain momentum and rhythm. I don't necessarily believe that what your experiencing is due to wall climbing but the allowances being made in the level design for the multiplayer? Unless you feel this way for the handheld incarnations.

Personally I would keep it and add the side jump.

I wouldn't think side jump is a good fit for 2D Mario. Only in 3D, where you have so much more possibilites since, well, it's a 3D world. 

Yep.

More important is removing the ability for multiple players to collide. Playing with a friend can get REALLY aggravating when one person accidentally kills another. There should be an option to turn off multiple player collision imo.

RolStoppable said:
kirby007 said:

As far as I remember, all of the old games had infinite continues.

mario bros 3 for the nes didn't

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

you died more often in sm3 because the physics are different wall climbing comes in second.

Tsubasa Ozora

Keiner kann ihn bremsen, keiner macht ihm was vor. Immer der richtige Schuss, immer zur richtigen Zeit. Superfussball, Fairer Fussball. Er ist unser Torschützenkönig und Held.