By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - 2D Mario games should ditch wall sliding and wall jumping

I've recently played through two different and very good Mario platformers, Mario 3 and NSMBU. I noticed that even though 3's levels were usually quite short, I died far more in that game than I did in NSMB, even though I was actively exploring the latter's levels far more in an attempt to collect all the Star Coins. There are a few reasons for this, of course, but I think the main culprit is that I can be far less precise in my platforming while playing NSMB because of the wall cling and wall jump: there's a huge built-in fudge factor which means you no longer have to nail every jump, but simply be "close enough."

To be honest, I don't like it. I've noticed when playing with friends and family that few of them take advantage of these abilities, so it's not doing them any favors, while I tend to abuse them and thereby make the game much less challenging. I believe future 2D Mario platformers should do away with the wall slide and wall jump, in the hope that this makes future games better emphasize tighter level design. Am I alone here, or do others think the same?

Around the Network

more important than removing something is adding something.

They should add old moves like upward kick etc. Every 2D/2.5D mario game feels archaic. SMW feels fresher than any NSMB game because of that.

I like the wall jump. I dont like the wall slide tho

WTF strange double post

It's really your choice to do it or not, you don't have to do it if you don't want to.

Personally, I don't have a problem with it.

JazzB1987 said:

They should add old moves like upward kick etc.

Refresh my memory: upward kick?

Nintentacle said:
It's really your choice to do it or not, you don't have to do it if you don't want to.

Fully conceded, save for the portions where it's mandatory to get a Star Coin. I hope though that its removal will lead to tighter level design down the road, as the player no longer has this potential crutch at his disposal.

Around the Network
noname2200 said:
JazzB1987 said:

They should add old moves like upward kick etc.

Refresh my memory: upward kick?

Nintentacle said:

Fully conceded, save for the portions where it's mandatory to get a Star Coin. I hope though that its removal will lead to tighter level design down the road, as the player no longer has this potential crutch at his disposal.

In SMW you could take a turtle shell and kick it upwards to hit 1UP blocks being way above you. Same was possible with those blocks that started to blink once you grabbed them.

Just being able to throw/kick them horizontally feels outdated. I also always juggled with these things  while running to the finish "line"  it was fun.

actually really like the mechanic. Adds a new level to the experience and I don't find it detracting in any way. It does take more time to master however. I can see how you could find it strange in a "Mario experience".

Yeah but if they remove wall jumping now 4 player would be MUCH more rage inducing lol.

It doesn't really matter to me because I don't buy any of the new 2D mario's. Kirby and Yoshi are enough to satisfy my platformer need.

Consoles: 3DS, Wii U, and Vita soon. Super Paper Mario fan.

I like the wall jump, I believe that while it saves you from pits it allows for more verticality in the level design and the ability to retain momentum and rhythm. I don't necessarily believe that what your experiencing is due to wall climbing but the allowances being made in the level design for the multiplayer? Unless you feel this way for the handheld incarnations.

Personally I would keep it and add the side jump.

JazzB1987 said:

In SMW you could take a turtle shell and kick it upwards to hit 1UP blocks being way above you. Same was possible with those blocks that started to blink once you grabend them.

Ah, that's right. Haven't played World in quite some time!