By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - 2D Mario games should ditch wall sliding and wall jumping

Now you know how I feel when they gave the ability to pick up items after SMB1. First time I picked up a shell with Mario I rolled my eyes in disdain.

But really, I don't mind the new mechanics. I think it makes the game more fun.

Around the Network
Smear-Gel said:
Removing wall jumping would make some level designs impossible, and any change that lowers the variety of the levels in a 2D Mario is a bad one.

Except that, again, these new possibilities go unexplored outside of the optional Star Coin stuff. Nintendo may feel it can't use these mechanics outside the optional challenge areas, or it risks alienating large segments of the population. I would argue there is some merit to that concern, although I concede they have not made any concerted effort to even test that theory.

Pavolink said:

Not SMB3, and that's part of why it's the best 2D Mario ever.

Nah! Excluding the power-up selection and MAYBE the boss selection, Mario World is better than Mario Bros 3 in every way possible!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

noname2200 said:
Smear-Gel said:
Removing wall jumping would make some level designs impossible, and any change that lowers the variety of the levels in a 2D Mario is a bad one.

Except that, again, these new possibilities go unexplored outside of the optional Star Coin stuff. Nintendo may feel it can't use these mechanics outside the optional challenge areas, or it risks alienating large segments of the population. I would argue there is some merit to that concern, although I concede they have not made any concerted effort to even test that theory.

Not really, many levels have wall jumping portions. Levels can be more vertical now and wall jumping is a way to get to hidden areas.

AZWification said:
Pavolink said:

Not SMB3, and that's part of why it's the best 2D Mario ever.

Nah! Excluding the power-up selection and MAYBE the boss selection, Mario World is better than Mario Bros 3 in every way possible!

No. SMB3 has more levels, more variety, higher difficult.

SMW is a good 2D Mario, but not better than SMB3 or NSMBWii.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Around the Network
Pavolink said:

Better than SMB3? Fine, I can respect that opinion.. Better than NSMBWii? Eh.........

AZWification said:
Pavolink said:

Better than SMB3? Fine, I can respect that opinion.. Better than NSMBWii? Eh.........

NSMBWii is SMB3 with bad music. 3DWorld is SMB3 in 3D.

Nobody wants SMW

Pavolink said:
AZWification said:

Nobody wants SMW

And with underwhelming level design! Heck, even NSMBU has better level design imo...

AZWification said:
Pavolink said:
AZWification said:

Nobody wants SMW

And with underwhelming level design! Heck, even NSMBU has better level design imo...

Level design was good. But yeah, NSMBU improved just a little, because both feels the same.

Not that SMW was a bad game, in fact is great.

Pavolink said:
AZWification said:

Level design was good. But yeah, NSMBU improved just a little, because both feels the same.

Not that SMW was a bad game, in fact is great.

I guess I appreciate World so much because how huge it felt with all the optional levels ( plus the Star World and the Special World)...