Forums - Nintendo Discussion - 2D Mario games should ditch wall sliding and wall jumping

I agree with Jazz! Using the upward kick always felt so good and it was pretty effective in killing enemies as well!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Around the Network
kljesta64 said:
you died more often in sm3 because the physics are different wall climbing comes in second.

I've been playing 3 for nearly 25 years though: the physics aren't the problem. At least, it's not like I'm not completely used to them.

noname2200 said:
kljesta64 said:
you died more often in sm3 because the physics are different wall climbing comes in second.

I've been playing 3 for nearly 25 years though: the physics aren't the problem. At least, it's not like I'm not completely used to them.

the opposite. im saying you die more in sm3 than nsmbu because nsmbu is easier because you have floaty physics and in sm3 you fall like a rock.

Tsubasa Ozora

Keiner kann ihn bremsen, keiner macht ihm was vor. Immer der richtige Schuss, immer zur richtigen Zeit. Superfussball, Fairer Fussball. Er ist unser Torschützenkönig und Held.

noname2200 said:

By the same token though Nintendo hasn't really done that outside of a few Star Coin areas and - if their internal data reflects that my friends'/family's performance is typical - I suspect they never will get too advanced with it. The attraction of 2D Mario lies in part on its simplicity: you may be called on to almost master some of the techniques, but there are only a handful of said techniques to master, with level design and enemy placement introducing the vast majority of the games' variety. The more layers you add on, the more danger there is of turning some folks off. I don't think it's an insurmountable barrier, but Nintendo has had four bites at the apple and still refused to swallow.

Yes, but that has more to do with Nintendo's general attitude of shifting the difficult parts into the postgame content; and what they did was not making levels designed around the wall jump, but levels where the wall jump becomes more or less useless (doesn't go for all levels, because there are also vertical levels in the postgame worlds). The difficulty you find in SMB3 from world 6 onwards was basically relegated to a few entirely optional levels in the NSMB games.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

I don't mind those features as long as Nintendo doesn't abuse them the way many indie-platformers do.

Around the Network

I thought nsmbu has a similar difficulty level to smw.

Wall jumping and sliding are great additions which really improved the flow of the 2D Mario games imo. Also, why would you want to remove a technique that's already been in Super Mario Bros. 1 :P

Theres alot of things the NSMB games should ditch...

KHlover said:
Wall jumping and sliding are great additions which really improved the flow of the 2D Mario games imo. Also, why would you want to remove a technique that's already been in Super Mario Bros. 1 :P

The difference is that you need to be a damn ninja to get wall-jumping right in Super Mario Bros!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

AZWification said:
KHlover said:

The difference is that you need to be a damn ninja to get wall-jumping right in Super Mario Bros!

:P