By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - 2D Mario games should ditch wall sliding and wall jumping

Well i think SMB3 is far less challenging than NSBU... and I don't die until world 5/6 for the first time... But I had a bit of issue...

The control of old games feels less reactive. controlling Mario is somehow difficult for the first 30 minutes. I don't think it is the wall jump or slide that makes the game easier but the control are much more exact. Mario lands exactly were you wanted to. in SMB-SMB2 and SMB3 this feels less immediate.

Switch!!!

Around the Network

I find it funny how people seem to not like New Super Mario Bros games still they sell millions. If anything, they have all done fantastic sales and not once had a flop.

Kallumsmarties said:

I find it funny how people seem to not like New Super Mario Bros games still they sell millions. If anything, they have all done fantastic sales and not once had a flop.

I don't think anyone here has said they don't like the New Super Mario games. Wrong thread?

That's because the Nintendo of SMB3 was one focused on great level design. The one for NSMBU is more about collecting those useless coins.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

JazzB1987 said:

more important than removing something is adding something.

They should add old moves like upward kick etc. Every 2D/2.5D mario game feels archaic. SMW feels fresher than any NSMB game because of that.

I like the wall jump. I dont like the wall slide tho

Agreed.  SMW has the tightest controls in any 2D Mario game. 

Regarding the wall jump/slide, I find that because I'm so used to the old ways of controlling mario, this new mechanic is more of a hinderance than an aid. I'll find myself accidentally pushing off a block I didn't mean to.

Around the Network

I like wall jumping, so no!

Removing wall jumping would make some level designs impossible, and any change that lowers the variety of the levels in a 2D Mario is a bad one.

Pavolink said:
That's because the Nintendo of SMB3 was one focused on great level design. The one for NSMBU is more about collecting those useless coins.

All Mario games (especially the 2D games) since Mario World involve collecting Yoshi Coins/Red coins/Stars/etc

Smear-Gel said:
Pavolink said:

All Mario games (especially the 2D games) since Mario World involve collecting Yoshi Coins/Red coins/Stars/etc

Not SMB3, and that's part of why it's the best 2D Mario ever.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Pavolink said:
Smear-Gel said:
Pavolink said:

Not SMB3, and that's part of why it's the best 2D Mario ever.

Mario Bros 3 came before Super Mario World, so yeah.

But you're right in that it's one of my absolute favourite Mario games, outside the lack of saves of course.

Of course if we consider Yoshi's Island a part of the Super Mario franchise instead of the start of the Yoshi Franchise then that has to be the best 2D mario.