By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - 2D Mario games should ditch wall sliding and wall jumping

I'd rather them get rid of the collect a thons instead and focus on tight level design. Though I agree that MB3 (and World) feel so much better designed than the NSMB series. Platforming felt more dangerous.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

Around the Network
kljesta64 said:

the opposite. im saying you die more in sm3 than nsmbu because nsmbu is easier because you have floaty physics and in sm3 you fall like a rock.

That's a possibility. There also seem to be way more powerups in the NSMB series than in the older games. Still, the levels just don't feel as tight in my opinion, and I think the added fudge factor plays a part in that.

RolStoppable said:

Yes, but that has more to do with Nintendo's general attitude of shifting the difficult parts into the postgame content; and what they did was not making levels designed around the wall jump, but levels where the wall jump becomes more or less useless (doesn't go for all levels, because there are also vertical levels in the postgame worlds). The difficulty you find in SMB3 from world 6 onwards was basically relegated to a few entirely optional levels in the NSMB games.

How's New Super Luigi U? Supposedly it's designed for more advanced players: does it take advantage of the wall jump in any different manner?

noname2200 said:

How's New Super Luigi U? Supposedly it's designed for more advanced players: does it take advantage of the wall jump in any different manner?

Not really. The difficulty comes from level designs that make the wall jump (almost) useless. So it basically picks up where NSMBU's post game content ends.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

Well i think SMB3 is far less challenging than NSBU... and I don't die until world 5/6 for the first time... But I had a bit of issue...

The control of old games feels less reactive. controlling Mario is somehow difficult for the first 30 minutes. I don't think it is the wall jump or slide that makes the game easier but the control are much more exact. Mario lands exactly were you wanted to. in SMB-SMB2 and SMB3 this feels less immediate.

Switch!!!

I find it funny how people seem to not like New Super Mario Bros games still they sell millions. If anything, they have all done fantastic sales and not once had a flop.

Around the Network
Kallumsmarties said:

I find it funny how people seem to not like New Super Mario Bros games still they sell millions. If anything, they have all done fantastic sales and not once had a flop.

I don't think anyone here has said they don't like the New Super Mario games. Wrong thread?

That's because the Nintendo of SMB3 was one focused on great level design. The one for NSMBU is more about collecting those useless coins.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

JazzB1987 said:

more important than removing something is adding something.

They should add old moves like upward kick etc. Every 2D/2.5D mario game feels archaic. SMW feels fresher than any NSMB game because of that.

I like the wall jump. I dont like the wall slide tho

Agreed.  SMW has the tightest controls in any 2D Mario game. 

Regarding the wall jump/slide, I find that because I'm so used to the old ways of controlling mario, this new mechanic is more of a hinderance than an aid. I'll find myself accidentally pushing off a block I didn't mean to.

I like wall jumping, so no!

Removing wall jumping would make some level designs impossible, and any change that lowers the variety of the levels in a 2D Mario is a bad one.