By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - is Zelda Twilight Princess underrated when compared to Ocarina of Time

Khuutra said:
Mr Khan said:
milkyjoe said:

As with WW and MM before it, TP will go from being "teh worst in teh seriez", as I've often seen it described, to being "1 of teh bestest evar" as soon as SS releases, with SS quickly declared as the new "worst in teh seriez" soon after launch.

And so it shall continue till the last ever Zelda game, whenever that may be...

Bingo. People will hate on Twilight Princess' bland/more realistic art style, but we're going to hear a lot of bitching about cartoony enemies soon

Though i have a sneaking suspicion that Skyward Sword is going to get punted to holiday 2011, *especially* if Ocarina of Time 3DS becomes a launch window title (and there's no reason for it not to. That game has to be stupidly easy to for them to make, and given the amount of media we have so far, certainly another 3 months could crack it)

Aaaaaauuuuuuuuugh shut up shut up shut up shut up shut up

Good, it looks like it needs a ton of work. I hope they delay it for 6 months just to add a crap load of stuff in.

---

Around the Network
thanny said:
pokeclaudel said:

I've played through OOT about 5 times and TP only once. TP is still a great game but OOT is a better game and far more memorable.

This... Just OOT 7 or 8 and TP twice.

dude you should download the original pic in your sig and put in on an image hoster. The site you got it from doesn't seem to like hotlinking.

Lord_Yggdrassil said:
darkknightkryta said:

Twilight Princess is a better game because it's just a better "game", level design, combat, exploration (Riding epona, huge world with little loading).  People who say Ocarina of time is better has the nostalgia glasses on.  The only real thing you can say about Ocarina of Time being better is difficulty , story and art (Story and Art I like better in Twighlight Princess, but story and art is subjectional).  Music is the same for both game, midi and all.  When people say Ocarina of Time is better it's cause of nostalgia.

nostalgia goggles? I#m, sorry but that is a horrible argument. And you make some awful points. Huge world? in context back in 1998 OoT's world was huge, TP's world while huge has jack **** to do. Which is a negative not a positive. Combat is essentially the exact same, TP has a few more fancy moves...woohooo. Graphics are obviously better on TP, but the actual design of the game isn't as good. Difference is TP basically does very little new and what it does do new(wolf gameaply) is poorly executed and horribly paced.

Story is worse in TP, ganon comes out of nowhere and Zant is arguably the worst villain to brace a Zelda game. The game has huge and great dungeons i'll give it credit for that but there are hardly any sidequests, no magic and some of the characters are dull as hell. Pig ganon fight was also terrible.

TP as a standalone game is a great adventure game no doubt but compared to the other 3D zelda games it's just not an overall improvement but a backwards step especially in terms of content.

MM is a lot better than TP as well. It has a smaller world but there's more to do and the story/characters are far superior.

World: I'm not necessarily saying Twilight Princess' world is better because it's bigger, I'm saying it's better because it's seamless, the only time it loads is when you enter a town, other than that it never loads and you can get through 90% of Hyrule on Epona which makes for some nice horseback riding that you can't do in Ocarina of time.  Hell the final boss battle involves a crazy horse back fight against Ganon.

No sidequests?  What are you talking about?  Minigames?  Fishing?  heart collecting?  If you mean those then they're all in the game.

Twilight Princess doesn't do much new but it refines what was done before it.  Combat is more refined and thus better.

Those wolves section of the games were amazing, it changed the gameplay up and gave you something different to do than just hack and slash.  Was it as sophisticated as time travel?  I say yes, hell you can do more in wolf form than going between child and adult link.

Story is subjectional, I liked Twilight Princess story better, but it's subjectional and you can very well like Ocarina of Time better and I said that already.   And yes I liked Zant in the story and the end was very sad to me (Hit me emotionally far more than Ocarina of Time did).

And like above with the sidequests; how was it a step backwards in terms of content?  I actually found myself doing more in Tilight Princess than Ocarina of Time. 

And your last point, what does this thread have to do with Majora's Mask?  It may very well be better than every Zelda game made (Never played it yet to say for true), but this thread is about Twilight Princess being underrated to Ocarina of Time and yes it is.

The item usage that made OoT fun is terrible in TP.

I LOVE ICELAND!

Compared to OoT, TP isn't very good at all. 

I could write a book on why but will only give one example.  I didn't like tha the final boss could be defeated by hammering on the A button. 

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

Around the Network
ZenfoldorVGI said:

I think that both games are fantastic, and stand well enough on their own.

That said, something about  OOT(maybe nostalga) makes me like it more. It's kinda like, the  simplicity of the game along with the genius of the dungeons make me love every second of the game.

I did feel that the puzzles were more difficult towards the end of TP, but the boss battles were far too easy in TP as well. Overall, I think the difficulty level in OOT is more perfectly curved.

Also, I think OOT is longer, and it invented the gametype as well, so yah, OOT > TP, but TP is still  9.5/10  AAA.

But I got 75 hours out of Twilight Princess!

the first time I palyed TP i was underwhelmed.  The second and third times I've palyed through it, I thought it was one of the greatest games of all time.  I think the problem here is that most people who played this game played it when they were young and 3d adventure games were something fresh, thats why many gamers were dissappointed with TP.  It seemed less impresive than OoT, which created such a lasting impression.

If TP hadn't had to fill OoT's shoes, the game would have been better recieved all around.  This being said, it was somewhat easy.

darkknightkryta said:

Twilight Princess is a better game because it's just a better "game", level design, combat, exploration (Riding epona, huge world with little loading).  People who say Ocarina of time is better has the nostalgia glasses on.  The only real thing you can say about Ocarina of Time being better is difficulty , story and art (Story and Art I like better in Twighlight Princess, but story and art is subjectional).  Music is the same for both game, midi and all.  When people say Ocarina of Time is better it's cause of nostalgia.

when i first played OOT I had far far more fun then when i first played Twilight Princess. You don't compare a new game and an old game by which you would rather play now, but which was better at the time. And i've enjoyed every single console zelda game i've played more then TP at the time I played them. Still a good game though.

RollGoal was better than Ocarina of Time.

I love it to bits and think it's terribly underrated. It's such a deep, polished and complete experience, so lovingly crafted. A masterpiece, and definitely right up there with OOT.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046