By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS5 Pro revealed. November 7th 2024. $699

IcaroRibeiro said:
curl-6 said:

The first 3 years of Switch saw many exclusives; Mario Odyssey, Xenoblade 2, Splatoon 2, Smash Bros Ultimate, ARMS, Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle, Astral Chain, Kirby Star Allies, Pokémon Let's Go, Pokémon Sword/Shield, Luigi's Mansion 3, Octopath Traveller, Yoshi's Crafted World, Super Mario Maker 2, Fire Emblem Three Houses, Ring Fit Adventure, Daemon x Machina...

There's also the key difference that Switch was only a small step up in power over Wii U due to being a mobile device; presumably Switch 2 will be a much, much bigger leap.

It's not about others missing out, it's about wanting new hardware to offer new kinds of experiences instead of just last gen games with extra pixels/frames.

We've drifted way off topic at this point though.

The point is except by Arms all those games could run perfectly fine on Wii U. I'm sure a few of those titles, if not the majority of them, were at start developed with Wii U in mind and only during the development the focus shift to Switch since Wii U flopped hard 

A game like Octopath Travaler with 3D-HD can run really well on Switch, why should publishers not release this kind of games on base Switch anymore if they are able to run on base Switch? 

Of course, Switch 2 needs plenty of games that can't run on base Switch as well, but if the game can run is acceptable conditions on both it absolutely should be released on both 

It's a very odd mindset console gamers have that companies should stop supporting perfectly fine consoles and move forward. Can't see PC gamers demanding companies to release games that can't run on lower spec PCs just because they purchased fancy GPUs

Whether they could have run on Wii U or not is ultimately immaterial though, because the simple fact of the matter is that they didn't, therefore the new hardware justified its existence with plenty of games available nowhere else.

Again though, Switch/Wii U is not a good example of this phenomenon because there's not a big power leap there due to the change in form factor.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

The point is except by Arms all those games could run perfectly fine on Wii U. I'm sure a few of those titles, if not the majority of them, were at start developed with Wii U in mind and only during the development the focus shift to Switch since Wii U flopped hard 

A game like Octopath Travaler with 3D-HD can run really well on Switch, why should publishers not release this kind of games on base Switch anymore if they are able to run on base Switch? 

Of course, Switch 2 needs plenty of games that can't run on base Switch as well, but if the game can run is acceptable conditions on both it absolutely should be released on both 

It's a very odd mindset console gamers have that companies should stop supporting perfectly fine consoles and move forward. Can't see PC gamers demanding companies to release games that can't run on lower spec PCs just because they purchased fancy GPUs

Whether they could have run on Wii U or not is ultimately immaterial though, because the simple fact of the matter is that they didn't, therefore the new hardware justified its existence with plenty of games available nowhere else.

Again though, Switch/Wii U is not a good example of this phenomenon because there's not a big power leap there due to the change in form factor.

The reason for a hardware to exist is to play games, whether or not they are available elsewhere doesn't really mean a thing. If the library is there, the console justified its existence. What is pointless is a console with small library, like a PS Vita or a Wii U

Wii U to Switch is the good example to prove there is a loophole in your logic. You spent 300 USD to get a console that was running Wii U games in Nintendo Switch cards, exactly what you just said would piss you off if you were a PS4 owner

The absolute majority of developers don't even have money to create games to take full advantage of PS5 specs anyway, namely almost every Japanese developer 

I guess according to console owners they should stop releasing their games on PS5, since their games are still using PS4 graphics

IcaroRibeiro said:
curl-6 said:

The reason for a hardware to exist is to play games, whether or not they are available elsewhere doesn't really mean a thing. If the library is there, the console justified its existence. What is pointless is a console with small library, like a PS Vita or a Wii U

Wii U to Switch is the good example to prove there is a loophole in your logic. You spent 300 USD to get a console that was running Wii U games in Nintendo Switch cards, exactly what you just said would piss you off if you were a PS4 owners

The absolute majority of developers don't even have money to create games to take full advantage of PS5 specs anyway, namely almost every Japanese developer 

I guess according to console owners they should stop releasing their games on PS5, since their games are still using PS4 graphics

No, I spent $300 to play Mario Odyssey, Splatoon 2, and Xenoblade 2. If I could play those on my Wii U, then I wouldn't have bought my Switch.

curl-6 said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

Wii U to Switch is the good example to prove there is a loophole in your logic. You spent 300 USD to get a console that was running Wii U games in Nintendo Switch cards, exactly what you just said would piss you off if you were a PS4 owners

No, I spent $300 to play Mario Odyssey, Splatoon 2, and Xenoblade 2. If I could play those on my Wii U, then I wouldn't have bought my Switch.

The point is those games are just as new experiences as Zelda BOTW which is a cross gen game. A new game is a new experience, period. The fact they are released in two different consoles do not change that single fact

It's perfectly fine if you think you should not buy new consoles if the older console can play most of its games, it's your money after all. which doesn't make sense is to be unsatisfied and annoyed because developers decided they want more people (majority of them who can't afford buying consoles at launch) playing their games, oh the horror! 

IcaroRibeiro said:
curl-6 said:

The point is those games are just as new experiences as Zelda BOTW which is a cross gen game. A new game is a new experience, period. The fact they are released in two different consoles do not change that single fact

It's perfectly fine if you think you should not buy new consoles if the older console can play most of its games. It's your money, which doesn't make sense is to be unsatisfied and annoyed because developers decided they want more people (majority of them who can't afford buying consoles at launch) playing their games, oh the horror! 

I didn't buy a Switch to play BOTW, I played that on my Wii U.

We're just gonna have to disagree on this one, especially as we're way off topic.

To bring it back to PS5 Pro, they're clearly aiming at wealthy tech enthusiasts with this one, and I have to wonder whether most folks with who care that much about graphics and have that much disposable income wouldn't just have a gaming PC instead.

Around the Network
Chrkeller said:
curl-6 said:

Pretty much; if Xbox was good for one thing it was giving Sony at least some direct competition so that they actually had to try to win over consumers. Now that Xbox is dying, there's nothing to keep Sony honest.

To quote Yahtzee; "when you don't have to compete, you don't have to care."

PC.

They just announced a $700 console with no disc drive.. does that seem to you that they are worried about PC in any way?

curl-6 said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

It's perfectly fine if you think you should not buy new consoles if the older console can play most of its games. It's your money, which doesn't make sense is to be unsatisfied and annoyed because developers decided they want more people (majority of them who can't afford buying consoles at launch) playing their games, oh the horror! 

I didn't buy a Switch to play BOTW, I played that on my Wii U.

We're just gonna have to disagree on this one, especially as we're way off topic.

To bring it back to PS5 Pro, they're clearly aiming at wealthy tech enthusiasts with this one, and I have to wonder whether most folks with who care that much about graphics and have that much disposable income wouldn't just have a gaming PC instead.

Here's one ;)

You forget convenience. Gaming PC is great, just not very convenient. If I could buy a gaming PC that requires as little 'work' as turning a console on, with all games guaranteed to run hassle free, I would put one next to the TV.

What I want from gaming is, turn on console, turn on VR headset, 30 seconds later be in the game. No distractions. If a Pro can enhance that experience, why not. A gaming PC can't.

PS5 Pro is aimed at lazy people ;) Or rather for those who don't want to spend time on the 'engine' the PC, want to spend all their available time on gaming.

PotentHerbs said:
HoloDust said:

Hm, I'd say PS4 had some really great gen-jump showcase games in first 2 years, like Killzone: Shadowfall, Infamous Second Son, Order 1886 and Witcher 3.

The same could be said about the PS5 though.

Could it be though? When those games I've mentioned released, you could easily say they are not from PS360 era...for this gen, we're 4 years in, and very few games have that effect.

SvennoJ said:

My kids recently played Skylanders on it, didn't need an install. That's indeed something worthy to go back to! Just plays straight from disc. But it would be too slow nowadays since disc tech has not kept up. HVD never made it to mainstream. 4K Blu-rays are merely souped up blu-rays, slow.

Patches are much better now. Most games don't need to make a full copy anymore for every patch. It took 26 minutes to copy GT Sport on PS4 (standard HDD) to apply a patch that downloads in less than a minute. Plus you need all that extra space to install a patch because of the copy requirement.

I can bash the ps3 gen for ruining gaming. The crutch of release now, fix/finish later started in gen 7. Plus gen 7 shifted multiplayer from couch to online. As well as killing the A game industry. Either AAA or indie. And of course paid online.

Tbh PS4 and PS5 would be behind PS3 for me if it wasn't for VR. PSVR1 re-ignited my passion for gaming, PSVR2 now gets 90% of my game time. I definitely wouldn't mind playing all the great PS3 games again in VR. But on TV, nah that time has passed.

Nothing is slow, I am still playing 7th gen all the time last few years, from discs too, the only slower thing is the loading times but they are still fine, it's not like waiting 5 minutes for something, it is not bothering me, however this is because of the HDD vs SSD, not because of the blu ray player reading slowly. I am happy with it even on the 360 where is the DVD you can just install the game once and you the drive does not need to work after that.

Patches are better in the sense that you don't need to replace the old one when a few new get released as you said, however patched became bigger and bigger and you need to wait more time for downloading and installing them. I used XB1 and PS4 all the time just until a year ago, and I know how many times I needed to download patches and wait for a size of a 7th gen game to download and install. On the PS5 and XBSX, maybe the install time is less because of the SSD but the big patches are still there. About the space I don't have a problem, I upgraded my PS3 with 500GB back in 2015.

The ruining gaming and releasing broken games is not the 7th gen fault, it's the developers and companies that makes games's fault. They saw opportunity and took it. They are to blame, not the generation or the consoles. The multiplayer also is not a bad thing, if you maintain it within some frames, just like it was till the end of the 7th gen, it was primary single player, it was like 80% of the game single player and 20% multiplayer for the most games. I've had many fun times online on games like call of duty and GTA IV where I enjoyed the single player very much and the multiplayer as well, however they began to put it more and more, and later in 8th gen removing single player completely and putting multiplayer only, adding micro transactions too, so maybe you have to blame 8th gen not 7th for this. The real one to blame here is again the people behind those decisions, not the consoles themselves. The 7th gen was in fact the last real generation where you could play and having what to play from the couch with friends, There were many games that you could play with a friend on 1 console. The drought of such games began on the next, 8th gen. The paid online was only for Xbox, and it began in the 6th gen, so stop searching for a things to blame the 7th gen, all the things have started from other periods than the 7th gen, and the real one to blame is not the generation but the corporate people that took those decisions. They would take them no matter what generation of consoles we are in.

My sales comparison threads:

Ultimate Showdowns: JP 2023 / JP 2024 / 2024 / 2023 / 20222021

Lifetime Showdown / Historical Showdown / YOY Charts / 140M+ Club Chart / Quantity of Games

SvennoJ said

Blu-ray plays great on it, with 7.1 linear PCM 24 bit 192khz audio output.

Yet I wouldn't go back to it for gaming.

Oh I don't know. I think for games specifically made for the PS3, 720p 950 TVL looks pretty great! 

Edit: My pic was too glorious for VGChartz servers. Had to make it smaller lol.

Last edited by Cerebralbore101 - on 13 September 2024