By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Switch Ships 141.32 Million Units as of March 2024

HebrewGamer said:
Norion said:

That is completely false for the Switch. It sold extremely well in 2020 and 2021 and those are its two best years.

Correlation doesn't Equal causation. The demand was already there and there were supply shortages for everyone including Nintendo. If anything, if not for the pandemic Nintendo would already have this goofy sales record.

Anyway at the end of the day the most important metric is profit and Nintendo has its arms elbow-deep in gold. I just hope they use it to finally converge towards a full- audience solution, winning  back all the segments they lost from Sony as of the N64 and raking in any new segments Sony have added in since then.

Last edited by padib - on 12 June 2024

Around the Network
HebrewGamer said:
Norion said:

That is completely false for the Switch. It sold extremely well in 2020 and 2021 and those are its two best years.

Correlation doesn't Equal causation. The demand was already there and there were supply shortages for everyone including Nintendo. If anything, if not for the pandemic Nintendo would already have this goofy sales record.

It wasn't already there, 2020 was up massively from 2019 with most months being up a ton YoY and while 2019 was up from 2018 it wasn't up by nearly as much and a lot of months it wasn't up by much. And the notion that the Switch would somehow have sold about an extra 20 million by now is absurd but I'm curious so I ask you to provide a year breakdown from 2020-2023 of what the Switch would have sold to already be at 160m or just under that by now.

HebrewGamer said:

Again, You're just wrong...sorry.

I Know where you got that 1537million number from and it's wrong. We actually don't know how many copies of software the PS2 sold because that number has never been reported. We only have shipping numbers which is 1.2B. The 296 million you're trying add to it is included in the 1.2 billion shipment figure. For all we know they sold way less than 1.2B. Meanwhile Nintendo's 1.23B figure is actual sales numbers. This would make sense seeing the PS2 didn't have even one 20million seller while the Switch has 9. Also PS2 had only 4 10million sellers to the Switch's 21. You probably don't understand the difference between sales numbers and shipping numbers.

The N64, GameCube, and Dreamcast were commercial flops. The market was Sony's free and clear with all the momentum in the world from PS1. On the flip side, People were talking about Nintendo giving up the ghost and going 3rd party like Sega before the Switch released because of how bad the WiiU did and the PS4 was doing gangbusters. The Dreamcast came out 4 years into the PS1's life cycle and still got washed by the PS2 which came out a year later. Also, the first Xbox came out 4 years after the PS2 and didn't hit on anything. So no, the release window excuse doesn't work.  

The "Switch isn't competing" argument is a goofy take. They do not target different groups. All 3 gaming consoles are competing for the same market. Handheld gaming is simply rendering home console gaming obsolete. It's as silly as saying CDs weren't competing with cassette tapes or 8-tracks. New and better ways of doing things emerge and old ways fade away.

People buy more games today because gaming is more popular than ever before not because of inflation or people having more money. mobile gaming hasn't been more popular than during the Switch's lifecycle.

Saying selling a product with half the features missing for less is a pricecut is yet another goofy take when comparing it to another product which cut the price by 50% 4 years in on the exact same product. 

The Switch is more profitable than both the PS2 and the DS and sold more software than both. It's already won. The sales record is for the fanboys. 

Me saying the Switch has already overtaken the PS2 is definitely not irrelevant to you as you've already written 2 huge globs of text trying to argue with me and will soon put up a 3rd.

All PlayStations have essentially been the same. They just upgrade the graphical capability and add multimedia functionality.

First of all I didn't give you some examples just to argue. Cuz there are a ton more that can be made about the Switch. And a ton more in favour of PS2. I just gave you examples how for every consoles (yes even those in 80s milion or 110s milions if you want, there can be found reasons how it should be how it would be or why is their result what it is. For every result there is a reason but it's not okay to negate it or excuse it just as you do with the PS2. And no I don't agree with most of your points on the matter because they are not true. But if we go deeper we will just continue to change 30-50 lines of text for at least 10 posts more. And I just don't see a point and motivation in doing so. I have things to say about every of your points trust me. At the end of the day PS2 is officially the number 1 console, and this can be proven by the pure numbers. The 1537M numbers if officially confirmed by sony, so you can't ignore it. But even if it wasn't people are now buying more games just like you said. And that is normal. So to have more software than PS2 now doesn't make you more successful. And just because people in general buy more games makes the Switch even harder to call more successful than PS2 because it is still under it both in software and in hardware. The official lifetime sales is close to 160M. If switch pass those than okay it's number 1. But even at that given case PS2 is still very very successful. You can give me reasons all you want, but the fact remains. It's like who won the world championship of whatever and you just try to deny the winner because of this and that. Is it the winner ? it is. Then you can tell whatever you want but the fact remains. Untill Switch pass both the 160M lifetime totals of hardware and 1537M of software it is under PS2. That is that. Also the Switch lite isn't half of the normal model, it's on 90% the same machine. And I put the example of that being like a price cut effect, not to compare it to PS2 price cuts but just to tell you that Switch isn't exactly system without any price cuts. That's all. Of course PS2 did lower it's price more than that. And also check your info above. Some of the data is so wrong ... I even won't put it out. At least with @Phenomajp13 he gave good points and sides of the topic and made one good debate that was somewhat fun, With you it's just talking to the wall. On top of that you give me wrong data .. If I have to say what I really think I may get warning. So I won't. And lastly .. let's say you are right for everything. So with all the right things that Switch has do and all the success there is to it, and all the cheaty ways PS2 took, the Switch still could not reach it ? What an unfair battle You just hate on the PS2. That is all. For difference I don't hate on the Switch. I am personally more Playstation player than Nintendo but when the white is white and the black is black I don't replace them and call different for each of them. You do. Continue to hate. You won't get far. I don't have motivation to debate with someone who clearly just want to hate on one system, and praise the other cuz just he likes it more or want to win. Sales record is what is needed to be brake in order to call something the best selling. That's why it's record. Deny it how many you want. When the websites put articles or youtubers put videos everyone is looking at the official information, not the thinking of some anonymous profile on the web with 13 posts.

Soundwave said:

The DS already beat the PS2 in my mind anyway, PS2 needed several extra years to sell just a few million more units, DS hit 100 million and 150 million way faster than the PS2, it's not even close actually. The fact that Sony let the system hang around in budget markets for $99.99 for several years on end because the PS3 was selling like a turd to start with made the PS2 a phony champ to begin with IMO.

Nintendo could've kept the DS on storeshelves for an extra 3-4 years too and crawled to 165 million or whatever too, that would've proved nothing.

The DS should be the measuring stick for sales excellence, not the PS2, the DS smokes the PS2 in average sales per year. 

Just like many have said here. it's not a sprint but a marathon. By that logic, DS beat the Switch long ago too. DS first reached the milestone numbers. The winner is not who sold most for less time, the winner is the system with the most total numbers when all is said and done. We shouldn't count gameboy a success then .. Sony did this and that. Yes it did. And they reached the goal of the best selling system. This was one of the ways. The other variant was that of the DS, but it came a hair shorter. Nintendo could .. yes .. Sony also could with the PS3, PS4, PS VITA, Pretty much "could" can be said for everything that happened in life that "could" ve done better. But it's not. We are working with pure facts here. Not what could or should .. The DS is measuring stick for the fastest selling console. But the best selling well .. it's the PS2. Cuz when DS died it finished at 154M. It's the same to debate on the sports, who won and what should count or not. At the end of the day the final result counts. And guess what PS2 did higher final result than the DS. If Switch pass them both we are waiting to see.

Norion said:

Unfortunately he is not false only for this .. but for 80% of the things he said (the original xbox launched in 2004 for example).. and the other 20 are irrelevant because the original point wasn't PS2 vs Switch, but it was the denial of the success of PS2.

Last edited by XtremeBG - on 12 June 2024

My sales comparison threads:

Ultimate Showdowns: JP 2023 / JP 2024 / 2024 / 2023 / 20222021

Lifetime Showdown / Historical Showdown / YOY Charts / 140M+ Club Chart

XtremeBG said:
HebrewGamer said:

Again, You're just wrong...sorry.

I Know where you got that 1537million number from and it's wrong. We actually don't know how many copies of software the PS2 sold because that number has never been reported. We only have shipping numbers which is 1.2B. The 296 million you're trying add to it is included in the 1.2 billion shipment figure. For all we know they sold way less than 1.2B. Meanwhile Nintendo's 1.23B figure is actual sales numbers. This would make sense seeing the PS2 didn't have even one 20million seller while the Switch has 9. Also PS2 had only 4 10million sellers to the Switch's 21. You probably don't understand the difference between sales numbers and shipping numbers.

The N64, GameCube, and Dreamcast were commercial flops. The market was Sony's free and clear with all the momentum in the world from PS1. On the flip side, People were talking about Nintendo giving up the ghost and going 3rd party like Sega before the Switch released because of how bad the WiiU did and the PS4 was doing gangbusters. The Dreamcast came out 4 years into the PS1's life cycle and still got washed by the PS2 which came out a year later. Also, the first Xbox came out 4 years after the PS2 and didn't hit on anything. So no, the release window excuse doesn't work.  

The "Switch isn't competing" argument is a goofy take. They do not target different groups. All 3 gaming consoles are competing for the same market. Handheld gaming is simply rendering home console gaming obsolete. It's as silly as saying CDs weren't competing with cassette tapes or 8-tracks. New and better ways of doing things emerge and old ways fade away.

People buy more games today because gaming is more popular than ever before not because of inflation or people having more money. mobile gaming hasn't been more popular than during the Switch's lifecycle.

Saying selling a product with half the features missing for less is a pricecut is yet another goofy take when comparing it to another product which cut the price by 50% 4 years in on the exact same product. 

The Switch is more profitable than both the PS2 and the DS and sold more software than both. It's already won. The sales record is for the fanboys. 

Me saying the Switch has already overtaken the PS2 is definitely not irrelevant to you as you've already written 2 huge globs of text trying to argue with me and will soon put up a 3rd.

All PlayStations have essentially been the same. They just upgrade the graphical capability and add multimedia functionality.

First of all I didn't give you some examples just to argue. Cuz there are a ton more that can be made about the Switch. And a ton more in favour of PS2. I just gave you examples how for every consoles (yes even those in 80s milion or 110s milions if you want, there can be found reasons how it should be how it would be or why is their result what it is. For every result there is a reason but it's not okay to negate it or excuse it just as you do with the PS2. And no I don't agree with most of your points on the matter because they are not true. But if we go deeper we will just continue to change 30-50 lines of text for at least 10 posts more. And I just don't see a point and motivation in doing so. I have things to say about every of your points trust me. At the end of the day PS2 is officially the number 1 console, and this can be proven by the pure numbers. The 1537M numbers if officially confirmed by sony, so you can't ignore it. But even if it wasn't people are now buying more games just like you said. And that is normal. So to have more software than PS2 now doesn't make you more successful. And just because people in general buy more games makes the Switch even harder to call more successful than PS2 because it is still under it both in software and in hardware. The official lifetime sales is close to 160M. If switch pass those than okay it's number 1. But even at that given case PS2 is still very very successful. You can give me reasons all you want, but the fact remains. It's like who won the world championship of whatever and you just try to deny the winner because of this and that. Is it the winner ? it is. Then you can tell whatever you want but the fact remains. Untill Switch pass both the 160M lifetime totals of hardware and 1537M of software it is under PS2. That is that. Also the Switch lite isn't half of the normal model, it's on 90% the same machine. And I put the example of that being like a price cut effect, not to compare it to PS2 price cuts but just to tell you that Switch isn't exactly system without any price cuts. That's all. Of course PS2 did lower it's price more than that. And also check your info above. Some of the data is so wrong ... I even won't put it out. At least with @Phenomajp13 he gave good points and sides of the topic and made one good debate that was somewhat fun, With you it's just talking to the wall. On top of that you give me wrong data .. If I have to say what I really think I may get warning. So I won't. And lastly .. let's say you are right for everything. So with all the right things that Switch has do and all the success there is to it, and all the cheaty ways PS2 took, the Switch still could not reach it ? What an unfair battle You just hate on the PS2. That is all. For difference I don't hate on the Switch. I am personally more Playstation player than Nintendo but when the white is white and the black is black I don't replace them and call different for each of them. You do. Continue to hate. You won't get far. I don't have motivation to debate with someone who clearly just want to hate on one system, and praise the other cuz just he likes it more or want to win. Sales record is what is needed to be brake in order to call something the best selling. That's why it's record. Deny it how many you want. When the websites put articles or youtubers put videos everyone is looking at the official information, not the thinking of some anonymous profile on the web with 13 posts.

Soundwave said:

The DS already beat the PS2 in my mind anyway, PS2 needed several extra years to sell just a few million more units, DS hit 100 million and 150 million way faster than the PS2, it's not even close actually. The fact that Sony let the system hang around in budget markets for $99.99 for several years on end because the PS3 was selling like a turd to start with made the PS2 a phony champ to begin with IMO.

Nintendo could've kept the DS on storeshelves for an extra 3-4 years too and crawled to 165 million or whatever too, that would've proved nothing.

The DS should be the measuring stick for sales excellence, not the PS2, the DS smokes the PS2 in average sales per year. 

Just like many have said here. it's not a sprint but a marathon. By that logic, DS beat the Switch long ago too. DS first reached the milestone numbers. The winner is not who sold most for less time, the winner is the system with the most total numbers when all is said and done. We shouldn't count gameboy a success then .. Sony did this and that. Yes it did. And they reached the goal of the best selling system. This was one of the ways. The other variant was that of the DS, but it came a hair shorter. Nintendo could .. yes .. Sony also could with the PS3, PS4, PS VITA, Pretty much "could" can be said for everything that happened in life that "could" ve done better. But it's not. We are working with pure facts here. Not what could or should .. The DS is measuring stick for the fastest selling console. But the best selling well .. it's the PS2. Cuz when DS died it finished at 154M. It's the same to debate on the sports, who won and what should count or not. At the end of the day the final result counts. And guess what PS2 did higher final result than the DS. If Switch pass them both we are waiting to see.

Norion said:

Unfortunately he is not false only for this .. but for 80% of the things he said (the original xbox launched in 2004 for example).. and the other 20 are irrelevant because the original point wasn't PS2 vs Switch, but it was the denial of the success of PS2.

Ok, you win the debate because of a mistype. Xbox came out 1 year later instead of 4. Other than pointing out that mistake you wrote another glob of text gaslighting me and not refuting anything else I said. 

the Switch was more profitable and sold more software than the PS2. I already told you why your 1537M number was wrong. If you don't understand the difference between actual sales numbers and shipping numbers this discussion really wasn't for you.

I suppose there's no point in beating a dead horse, or.....nevermind.

Last edited by HebrewGamer - on 13 June 2024

Norion said:
HebrewGamer said:

It wasn't already there, 2020 was up massively from 2019 with most months being up a ton YoY and while 2019 was up from 2018 it wasn't up by nearly as much and a lot of months it wasn't up by much. And the notion that the Switch would somehow have sold about an extra 20 million by now is absurd but I'm curious so I ask you to provide a year breakdown from 2020-2023 of what the Switch would have sold to already be at 160m or just under that by now.

Not sure what more you would need beyond the chip shortage which slowed the sales of every console and left consumers dealing with scalpers for a good portion of 2020 and into 2021. All life cycles have an arc. the rev up, the peak, and when sales slow down. during their peak they didn't have the supply for the demand due to external factors.  

Around the Network
HebrewGamer said:
Norion said:

Not sure what more you would need beyond the chip shortage which slowed the sales of every console and left consumers dealing with scalpers for a good portion of 2020 and into 2021. All life cycles have an arc. the rev up, the peak, and when sales slow down. during their peak they didn't have the supply for the demand due to external factors.  

Scalping really wasn't much of a thing at all for the Switch those years and the shortages didn't impact it much since it was old tech by the time the shortages began. It went from selling about 19m in 2019 to about 28m the following year so the pandemic actually helped Nintendo since video game sales exploded in 2020 but Sony and Microsoft weren't able to capitalize on it hardware wise due to it being bad timing for their consoles. Sales of the PS4 and Xbox One did get a big boost at first but it was short lived since they were too busy getting ready for launching the new consoles to supply enough of the old ones to fulfill the sudden huge increase in demand for long.

Success is subjective as there are multiple ways to quantify it; sales, profit, market share, cultural significance, etc.

Considering Switch to already be more successful than the PS2 is a reasonable opinion as while PS2 sold more units, Switch has made far more money.

If we're talking "best selling system ever" then right now its PS2, no question, but "success" is a murkier notion to define.

curl-6 said:

Success is subjective as there are multiple ways to quantify it; sales, profit, market share, cultural significance, etc.

Considering Switch to already be more successful than the PS2 is a reasonable opinion as while PS2 sold more units, Switch has made far more money.

If we're talking "best selling system ever" then right now its PS2, no question, but "success" is a murkier notion to define.

It has the most systems sold yes, but I consider the DS to be the most prolific selling system if you want to put it that way. 

The PS2 only outsold the DS because it was given like 4 more years to sell at bargain basement prices. 

If you give me 7 minutes to jog versus someone else who only has 5 minutes, odds are I'm going to run a longer distance than they can. That doesn't necessarily mean I'm the better long distance runner. 

The DS whupped the PS2's ass to 100 million and beat it again to 150 million. 

The only reason the PS2 has the record is 100% because Nintendo wanted people to buy 3DS' so they cut the DS off. Anyone who's being honest will admit that. Has zero to do with which system was actually more popular. 

Last edited by Soundwave - on 13 June 2024

HebrewGamer said:

You're clearly angry(hence the huge meatwad of text post), and your information is incorrect.

PS2 had the market to themselves for two console generations as Nintendo and Sega's offerings tanked and Xbox has never been competitive outside of the 360. Not so for the Switch who had to overcome the PS4, PS5, Xbox X/S, Steamdeck and similar handheld copycats, Mobile gaming, Piracy(specifically targeting Nintendo games), a chip shortage, and the WiiU failure.

How can you say the pandemic sped up sales when none of these systems were available during that period? Make it make sense. 

The inflation argument is weak and in this case is just wrong. People today are broke because of the high cost of living and don't have nearly as much disposable income as back then as the dollar is rubbish now. 

You're comparing Nintendo selling a nerfed iteration of the Switch which takes away it's home console function to the fully furnished PS2 being half off in year 4. Apples to cheeseburgers(they did the same for the PS1). You also conveniently leave out how the OLED raised the price by $50 and how it's the best selling iteration of the Switch. 

The Switch has already equaled the PS2s lifetime software sales number of 1.2 billion and has probably surpassed it as Nintendo reports actual sales and not shipments like the PS2.

Facts are always relevant my guy.

BTW, the PS5 is the PS2 being sold in the modern day. All Sony has done since the beginning is give you the same gamebox with better graphics and more functions.

And this whole text is why your argument is invalid. You never attack people in an argument and it doesn’t matter why your side is, it is all invalid due to attacking another.

Both consoles are great. They are both successes. We’ve already gone over the PS2 and Switch with their reasons for being a success. Each had their time and each had their place.

Drop it. Switch is amazing and PS2 is still #1 (for now).

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 160 million (was 120 million, then 140 million, then 150 million)

PS5: 130 million (was 124 million)

Xbox Series X/S: 54 million (was 60 million, then 57 million)

"The way to accomplish great things, is to be indefatigable and never rest till the thing is accomplished." - Joseph Smith Jr.

We can argue success measurements all day but HebrewGamer is pretty clearly trying to downplay PS2's numbers by whatever criteria suits them.