By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Switch Ships 141.32 Million Units as of March 2024

Link to the VGChartz article here.

Switch Ships 141.32 Million Units as of March 2024

Nintendo has released its latest hardware and software figures for the Nintendo Switch through March 31, 2024. Shipment figures for the Nintendo Switch reached 141.32 million units, while 1,235.82 million Switch games have been shipped lifetime.

For the quarter ending March 31, 2024, Nintendo shipped 1.96 million Switch units and 35.72 million Switch games.

Breaking down the 141.32 million lifetime shipped figure for the Switch, it has shipped 54.52 million units in the Americas, 36.49 million in Europe, 34.01 million in Japan, and 16.30 million in the rest of the world.

The regular Nintendo switch model accounts for 93.45 million units of the total Switch consoles shipped worldwide. The Switch OLED accounts for 24.34 million units and the Switch Lite accounts for 23.54 million units.

Nintendo has set a forecast for the fiscal year ending March 31, 2025 at 13.50 million. If Nintendo is able to hit its forecast it would bring lifetime Switch shipment figures to 154.82 million at the end of March 2025. This would put the Switch above the Nintendo DS, which sold 154.02 million units lifetime. It would also become the second best-selling video game platform of all time, only behind the PlayStation 2.

Nintendo for the 12 month period ending March 31, 2024 reported net sales were up 4,4 percent to ¥1,671.87 billion ($10.83 billion) and operating profit grew 4.9 percent to ¥680.50 billion ($4.41 billion).

Here are the top 10 best-selling Nintendo Switch first-party titles:

1. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – 61.97 million
  2. Animal Crossing: New Horizons – 45.36 million
  3. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate – 34.22 million
  4. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild – 31.85 million
  5. Super Mario Odyssey – 27.96 million
  6. Pokemon Sword / Pokemon Shield – 26.27 million
  7. Pokemon Scarlet / Pokemon Violet – 24.92 million
  8. Super Mario Party – 20.66 million
  9. The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom – 20.61 million
  10. New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe – 17.45 million

Other Nintendo Switch first-party sales:

• Luigi’s Mansion 3 – 14.25 million
  • Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury – 13.47 million
  • Super Mario Bros. Wonder – 13.44 million
  • Nintendo Switch Sports – 13.11 million
  • Mario Party Superstars – 12.89 million
  • Splatoon 3 – 11.96 million
  • Kirby and the Forgotten Land – 7.52 million
  • Pikmin 4 – 3.48 million
  • Super Mario RPG – 3.31 million
  • Princess Peach: Showtime! – 1.22 million (NEW)
  • Mario vs. Donkey Kong – 1.12 million (NEW)
Last edited by trunkswd - on 07 May 2024

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network

13.5 million Switches for the next FY is extremely ambitious considering the hardware's advanced age and suggests they have some major software still to be announced, as they sure ain't gonna sell that much with just the Paper Mario and Luigi's Mansion remakes they have scheduled. A price cut seems unlikely given the economic circumstances, with prices increasing rather than decreasing across the market.

In the meantime, a rather quiet quarter, but that's to be expected given the hardware's now in its 8th year and their lineup so far this year has been rather lightweight.

Looks like 5m could be on the table for Pikmin 4 which is awesome growth for what's used to be a relatively niche franchise.

EDIT: Felt this deserved its own thread so as not to derail this one. Sorry.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 07 May 2024

13.5M seems extremely ambitious for the fiscal year tbh especially since Nintendo already acknowledged the successor is coming. And this quarter was a bit lower than expected in sales, didn't even crack 2M when I was expecting it to be closer to 2.5M. Maybe Nintendo did this aggressive forecast to not give a way a potential release window for Switch 2 cause if the forecast is too low it could imply the Switch successor will come this year.

If Nintendo can hit its forecast, or come close to hitting it, shipment figures for the Switch will be above the DS. Though, sell-through will lag behind by a couple of months. That pretty much guarantees the Switch will outsell the PS2 as it will only need 5M-6M to surpass 160M lifetime. Nintendo would have to pretty much completely kill off Switch production as soon as the successor launches.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network

Impressive how Princess Peach Showtime reached more than a million in less than 10 days.

My first thought is that 13.5 million must include a price cut or a new revision. Switch 2 will probably not be announced until January and wont be released this FY, but April 2025 at the earliest.

Also this basically confirms it will reach the PS2.

javi741 said:

13.5M seems extremely ambitious for the fiscal year tbh especially since Nintendo already acknowledged the successor is coming. And this quarter was a bit lower than expected in sales, didn't even crack 2M when I was expecting it to be closer to 2.5M. Maybe Nintendo did this aggressive forecast to not give a way a potential release window for Switch 2 cause if the forecast is too low it could imply the Switch successor will come this year.

13.5 has to suggest a release in the next FY for Switch 2, way later than most predictions. Perhaps September or Holiday 2025.

Overall great results for Nintendo. But some sad news for titles that did not make the 1 million cut released last FY. Especially hoped Advance Wars would have made it.

- Advance Wars 1+2 Reboot Camp.
- Everybody 1-2 Switch.
- Detective Pikachu returns
- Wario Ware Move it
- Another Code recollection
- Re-release Pikmin1+2

Some other good news looking through the numbers.
In a time of lay-offs in the VG Industry, Nintendo was hiring. Their Employee numbers increased 407 people (7317 -> 7724)