By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will Xbox Series X/S make it to 40 million?

Will it reach 40 million?

Yes it will 63 62.38%

No, it will fall short 38 37.62%

Total:101
XtremeBG said:
Norion said:

6m is definitely looking really unlikely so far sure. How it does in the US is the most important factor and I'd be quite surprised if it only did half of 250k in the US in June but I guess we'll see what happens. September should have a relatively big drop yeah but it seemingly having a relatively decent July this year should help make up for that. My main point is the trend for this year so far points towards a drop smaller than you've been envisioning for the holidays so until more data comes in for the next couple months I guess we can just agree to disagree for now.

The year began with smaller drops yes, however the more we enter into the year the bigger drops they become. XBSX went from selling ~80k per week to selling ~50k per week. It already became ugly. If the sales were steady from the start of the year, then I could agree it can have nice boost, and with steady sales month after month yes, even 6M seemed fine. But with those drops getting bigger every single month, and doing barely 100k in US, I can't just agree it comes July and the steady sales every month begin, and nice holiday boost comes, and 5M+ for the year is there, finishing only 30% down from 2023 (which is still ugly in it's 4th year). The trend points, but the trends also pointed for a level very close to last year, and we are the half of the year and last year it was almost 2.2M by end of may, and now is barely 1.5M. How I can have faith in what the trend points, when I believed it should do something on par with 2023, and Microsoft instead of helping the system to sell more, they help it to sell less. Closing of studious, revealing new models without pricecuts, and even one that is the most expensive one, and increasing the price of gamepass. They act like they are market leader, not the market underdog.

It had somewhat bigger drops in February and March than May so the idea that it's been getting worse as the year has gone on with the drops getting bigger every month is wrong. The data does not point to the declines getting drastically worse for the rest of the year.

Around the Network
Norion said:
Hardstuck-Platinum said:

Starfield is a game that literally would have had 100X the effect on xbox sales than college football. Yet, here you are downplaying the effect of starfield on sales and bigging up  the effect of college football. At the time, critically starfield did not have a weak reception (mid 80's on metacritic). People's thoughts of it changed a lot over time when they realised that starfield was a shallow game with little substance. Again, Starfield was one of the most hyped games I'd ever seen in my life. The game was never going to live up to the hype but the hype alone was enough to save the game and give it good sales and public reception

You don't seem to know that CF 25 is a highly anticipated game for a lot of people, over 2 million spent extra to play it a few days early so that's over 2 million sales already before the game even fully launches. On Xbox specifically it's not gonna have as big a launch as Starfield but this is absolutely a notable release so the gap in effect is not as large as you're making it to be.

And yes, Starfield absolutely has had weak reception overall. While it had a good launch and reviews negativity towards it quickly increased soon afterwards resulting in it having bad legs making it so its console sales boost was limited to its launch. You've made your feelings about Xbox well known so I'm surprised you're arguing that Starfield had good public reception when it has been one of Xbox's bigger blunders of the past couple years.

It seems that CF is bigger and more popular than I was giving it credit for, but when has a single sports game ever significantly improved the sales trends of a console? I have heard some anecdotal stories of people that work in retail in the USA, seeing Xbox Series S consoles selling out, but unlike Starfield the Amazon sales charts aren't backing it up. On Amazon USA CF is selling better on PS5, and the PS5 is ranked 13 in best sellers, with XBSS not even in the top 100. The XBSX has also stayed where it has always been, which definitely wasn't the case with Starfield. Both the XBSS and X had big jumps on Amazon during Starfield release.  

Hardstuck-Platinum said:
Norion said:

You don't seem to know that CF 25 is a highly anticipated game for a lot of people, over 2 million spent extra to play it a few days early so that's over 2 million sales already before the game even fully launches. On Xbox specifically it's not gonna have as big a launch as Starfield but this is absolutely a notable release so the gap in effect is not as large as you're making it to be.

And yes, Starfield absolutely has had weak reception overall. While it had a good launch and reviews negativity towards it quickly increased soon afterwards resulting in it having bad legs making it so its console sales boost was limited to its launch. You've made your feelings about Xbox well known so I'm surprised you're arguing that Starfield had good public reception when it has been one of Xbox's bigger blunders of the past couple years.

It seems that CF is bigger and more popular than I was giving it credit for, but when has a single sports game ever significantly improved the sales trends of a console? I have heard some anecdotal stories of people that work in retail in the USA, seeing Xbox Series S consoles selling out, but unlike Starfield the Amazon sales charts aren't backing it up. On Amazon USA CF is selling better on PS5, and the PS5 is ranked 13 in best sellers, with XBSS not even in the top 100. The XBSX has also stayed where it has always been, which definitely wasn't the case with Starfield. Both the XBSS and X had big jumps on Amazon during Starfield release.  

I never said anything about it significantly improving the overall trend, just that it'll give a boost for this month. We'll see what Circana says later but based on stuff like this I expect July to be one of the better months of this year for both consoles. https://x.com/Welfare_JBP/status/1813045727578272096

Last edited by Norion - on 31 July 2024

-42% this quarter and some people are still grasping at straws.

Yeah, it's dead Jim... This quarters results is damning.

Around the Network

And the trend I was talking about is showing again.

2022 = 1
2023 = 1 * (1 - 0.13) = 0.87
2024 = 0.87 * (1 - 0.42) = 0.5046

Half the consoles it sold in 2022 for two quarters in a row. The next quarter with the correction of having no Starfield or anything really is going to be a bloodbath. Easily upwards -60%.

Yikes at the quarterly results.
A console in its 4th year being down 42% YOY is disastrous.
40 million is looking less and less likely; at this point the only Hail Mary it has left is if the Series S gets a boost from being the cheapest entry point to GTA6 next year, and by then the brand may be so dead in the water even that may not help much.

curl-6 said:

40 million is looking less and less likely; at this point the only Hail Mary it has left is if the Series S gets a boost from being the cheapest entry point to GTA6 next year, and by then the brand may be so dead in the water even that may not help much.

I mean, 25 million X1 owners were just told: "Hey, it's okay, you can go with PS5 this time around; You will be able to play all of our games there eventually". Not only that, but those X1 owners had to watch Microsoft releasing Hi-FI Rush in other platforms, all while cinically chanting "When everybody plays, we all win!".

I'm actually amazed that anyone could think that this would turn out any different.

curl-6 said:

How much can GTA6 boost almost dead console ? not more by 1 milion in the long term which is nothing.

Last edited by XtremeBG - on 31 July 2024

My sales comparison threads:

Ultimate Showdowns: JP 2023 / JP 2024 / 2024 / 2023 / 20222021

Lifetime Showdown / Historical Showdown / YOY Charts / 140M+ Club Chart

ABK (loss)

Q4 : -570M $
Q3 : -350M $
Q2 : -440M $

Total : -1.36 billion $

X/S Hardware estimate for this quarter (Q4  FY2024) : 600k ~ 800k