By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Are the console wars still going on?

Console Wars still going on?

Yes 31 48.44%

No 23 35.94%

Different answer(comment below!) 10 15.63%

Total:64

I'd say that the console wars are more like "console border skirmishes" nowadays.

Love and tolerate.

Around the Network

Instead of a console wars, we have a consolidation race.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Yes.

However, the scenario changes according to who is doing better at sales and reviews. Of course, not every fan of a certain company is toxic but we have some people or groups that loves being arrogant and downplays everything the other company does.

If you're a low braincell type of person, then yes, they're still going on.

Nope

My youtube gaming page.

http://www.youtube.com/user/klaudkil

Around the Network

This war isn't really about console sales anymore, though I can make a case for that too, this console war has turned into a sales war. Who has made the best profit? Who is most well off? Who is influencing the future? And who can sell the better game? 

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 160 million (was 120 million, then 140 million, then 150 million)

PS5: 130 million (was 124 million)

Xbox Series X/S: 54 million (was 60 million, then 57 million)

"The way to accomplish great things, is to be indefatigable and never rest till the thing is accomplished." - Joseph Smith Jr.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 160 million (was 120 million, then 140 million, then 150 million)

PS5: 130 million (was 124 million)

Xbox Series X/S: 54 million (was 60 million, then 57 million)

"The way to accomplish great things, is to be indefatigable and never rest till the thing is accomplished." - Joseph Smith Jr.

Yes, but not nearly to the extent it did in the past.

It seems like the console wars typically heat up when there is either close competition or when one significantly over/under performs compared to their predecessor causing a lot of gloating/mocking or when one is for “casuals”.

At the moment, none of those things really seem to be the case, PS5 & XSX aren’t in a close battle and both are currently tracking similar to their predecessors so it’s not like one is doing way better than expected while the other is doing way worse than expected.

As for Nintendo, they have had major success with Switch without being “casual” dominant like Wii or DS so it’s not getting nearly as much hate from “hardcore” gamers and the argument of phones/tablets killing the portable gaming market that existed during the 3DS/Vita era doesn’t hold up anymore.

It seems like all three have sort of settled into their expected lanes which means there really isn’t a whole lot to argue/fight about.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Kneetos said:

Depends where you look

I was about to say. 
I came across some tweets from the console warring portion of the Xbox community the other day, and many of them are celebrating winning the console war this generation on the grounds of there being "nothing to play on Playstation".

So it depends on where you look.

Do you mean between consumers or console makers? As for consumer base, console wars will never end. Not just consoles, everything. People always picking sides or allegiances. Just go to twitter and a lot of toxic fanboyism, really bad stuff, and a lot of young dumb kids. Things never change.

No. Nintendo won. End of story.

=P

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.