By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Are the console wars still going on?

Console Wars still going on?

Yes 31 48.44%

No 23 35.94%

Different answer(comment below!) 10 15.63%

Total:64

Nah. The size of everyone’s territory has been pretty much settled for a while now. Microsoft bought a publisher or two sure, but that’s kind of like North Korea that keeps shooting rockets into the sea. No one really cares and nothing really changes.

Back in the 90s though, people were armed to the teeth and market shares flipped all over the place. Completely different time.

Around the Network

Depends where you look

It's different now. The path has split and the console makers are going their separate ways. Sony kind of keeps doing what they have been doing. Microsoft is betting heavily on their subscription model and don't really care about console sales anymore. I think they are just waiting to ditch the hardware side completely. Nintendo has found wild success in the portable space and that's yet another different thing.
So it's not really console wars anymore, but rather a user base war or something to that effect.

Competition is still going on as usual.

Console warring on the internet yep , but its even more pointless nowadays than it was a decade ago.

I think we are misinterpreting the concept of console wars, which very much encompasses user bases being toxic to one another. Most of you are talking about the companies themselves combating each other.

Around the Network
Random_Matt said:

I think we are misinterpreting the concept of console wars, which very much encompasses user bases being toxic to one another. Most of you are talking about the companies themselves combating each other.

"In the video game industry, a console war describes the competition between two or more video game console manufacturers in trying to achieve better consumer sales" Console war - Wikipedia

Sure modern connotations may make people firstly think of fanboys shouting loudly on the internet but that's not what the term console wars was coined for.

Yes, but to a much smaller degree than back in the day.

Zippy6 said:
Random_Matt said:

"In the video game industry, a console war describes the competition between two or more video game console manufacturers in trying to achieve better consumer sales" Console war - Wikipedia

Sure modern connotations may make people firstly think of fanboys shouting loudly on the internet but that's not what the term console wars was coined for.

I did say "we are misinterpreting". If that is only me then cool. However, to say Microsoft is not trying jump Sony in the console market is naive at best. 

No, because.....

"Nintendo is doing their own thing with their own console completely different than Sony and Microsoft" and...
"Microsoft isn't about console sales anymore and all about the amount of players that pressed start on a game"

Therefore, Sony is doing whatever they're doing on their own. No consoles are at war with each other lol

Toxic, deluded fanboys are still keeping them alive in discourse.
As for the corporations themselves? Debatable.
Sega Genesis/Mega Drive vs. SNES/Super Famicom was perhaps the most famous console war of all-time, thanks to Sega's jabs in North American marketing against the aging NES and later the SNES.
PS1 took some shots at Sega and Nintendo, and they annihilated the Saturn globally and beat the N64 by a lot as well.
Xbox 360 vs. PS3 was a really close console war. PS3 only outsold the 360 by a few million and the 360 sold more software.
Microsoft acquiring so many studios seems like a massive escalation of the "console war", but I think that's just Microsoft trying to get as many IPs on Xbox, PC, and possibly mobile one day as well. Maybe Microsoft will even put a lot of their games on Nintendo or PlayStation as well.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima