By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Are the console wars still going on?

Console Wars still going on?

Yes 31 48.44%

No 23 35.94%

Different answer(comment below!) 10 15.63%

Total:64

Absolutely, Aaron Greenberg is still employed.

Around the Network

No, its brand wars.

Of course its on. Every time I see a Nintendo fan or an Xbox fan, I punch them in the face without second thoughts.

"We all make choices, but in the end, our choices make us" - Andrew Ryan, Bioshock.

Knitemare said:

Of course its on. Every time I see a Nintendo fan or an Xbox fan, I punch them in the face without second thoughts.

Correct attitude. There's no time for hesitation or else it will cust your life

We reap what we sow

Jules98 said:

Not sure about console wars per say, but people still get disproportionally emotional whenever a Nintendo IP is involved in some way. Just look at the recent Palword Vs. Pokémon debate.

I wonder what would have happened if this game had not been exactly like Pokemon,

but most people would still have found an excuse to be angry🤷‍♂️

Last edited by Oneeee-Chan!!! - on 26 January 2024

Around the Network

Last gen it looked like Nintendo was dead. So I voted no, but Nintendo could screw themselves as the sometimes do, and Microsoft could outmoney Sony at some point. I do not feel the heat of war that I once felt.

I’m definitely a steamdeck guy from here on out. I love that Steam is able to quietly do its own thing and not feel like a competion of life and death for its brand.

snyps said:

Last gen it looked like Nintendo was dead. So I voted no, but Nintendo could screw themselves as the sometimes do, and Microsoft could outmoney Sony at some point. I do not feel the heat of war that I once felt.

I’m definitely a steamdeck guy from here on out. I love that Steam is able to quietly do its own thing and not feel like a competion of life and death for its brand.

I agree with this two underlined sentences... Buuuuuuut, when its a matter of life and death, its way better for the gaming community.

Do you know why Final Fantasy has "FINAL" in the name? you can google it, but long story short, squaresoft was dying and that was the last game they could output as the last effort, and thanks to an almost dead company now we have a very high ranking JRPGs (i played a few of them and i loved them).

EDIT: Almost forgot, we should include "betrayal" on that "life and death" part. Thanks to that we have PlayStation now.

"We all make choices, but in the end, our choices make us" - Andrew Ryan, Bioshock.

Wow did not expect so many replies on this simple question. It will be interesting to see what comes out in the next few years and the battle in an all digital future.

BiON!@ 

hellobion2 said:

Wow did not expect so many replies on this simple question. It will be interesting to see what comes out in the next few years and the battle in an all digital future.

Steam already won the all digital battle.  

Example being Alan Wake 2.  Not releasing on steam was a terrible mistake.  Game isn't selling very well.  A steam release would double sales in a few weeks.  

When some people refer to/talk about the "Console Wars", they seem to look at it from a perspective of the sales/financials of the individual companies and have visions of company spokespeople talking smack and keeping score.  Sure, companies are in business to make money and they have similar products "competing" in the same marketplace.  But I do not believe that is what we are really talking about.

I believe that the "war" had little or nothing to do with the companies themselves...but rather, it had everything to do with the rabid fan-base of each system, watching sales figures and making thousands of pro/anti posts on sites just like this one.  Did the companies take notice and feed off that for a time?  I believe they did, briefly.  And now, at least in this guy's opinion, that height of fervor has come and gone and is now in the history books.

Someone recently? posted about the "decline" of this site in particular and what could be done to revitalize and bring back the activity that it had years ago.  That height of activity on this site, and others like it back in the PSWii60 days (again, in my opinion) was "the war" being fought.  Not by the companies themselves, but by the fans behind their keyboards...and that level of excitement is gone and a phenomenon not likely to be seen again any time in the near future.

Last edited by Kwaidd - on 02 February 2024