By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Are the console wars still going on?

Console Wars still going on?

Yes 31 48.44%

No 23 35.94%

Different answer(comment below!) 10 15.63%

Total:64

I’d argue so (though mostly between Sony and Microsoft). Nintendo’s kinda in their own bubble, as they have been for the past two decades.

Around the Network

It's more like a cold war these days.

Yes, but it's slowly turning from console wars to platform wars. It's gone from just console focused to console, PC, mobile, and cloud. All different spaces that will compete for the overarching brands. Primarily Xbox and PlayStation. Even Apple is trying to throw their hat in the ring now lol.

Nintendo gonna Nintendo lol. If anything they've retracted their mobile ambitions and focused on other endeavors to push their dedicated hardware and software such as films and theme parks.

Considering Microsoft bought two massive publishers and Sony is hatting as much as they can I would say it is yes. The console war wasn't there during the PS4 Vs One era, but it's definitely back. Nintendo doesn't really bother and does their own thing with theme parks. Both Sony and Nintendo also heavily invest in movies/TV series, but aren't really competing in that regard. Both The Last of Us and Mario Bros movie where very successful. They are even working together on the Zelda project.

Microsoft did have the Halo series but it kind a flopped, but surely they will also try to bring their series to other platforms, hopefully successfully, it can be done right.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Dante9 said:

It's different now. The path has split and the console makers are going their separate ways. Sony kind of keeps doing what they have been doing. Microsoft is betting heavily on their subscription model and don't really care about console sales anymore. I think they are just waiting to ditch the hardware side completely. Nintendo has found wild success in the portable space and that's yet another different thing.
So it's not really console wars anymore, but rather a user base war or something to that effect.

If MS wanted to dip out of hardware or didn't care...they should just do that.  Like you've got plenty of IP may as well ditch it if you just wanna rake in cash like Acti did previously plus all their other devs plus Gamepass subs (which I know are on Xbox primarily but they can convert to lower price without licencing fees if they just do their first party stuff now and sell a crap ton on PS like Ubisoft Plus and EA do with their sub services)

I am Iron Man

Around the Network

I mean, yeah, kinda-sorta.

There is still direct competition between PlayStation & Xbox. Both MS and Sony spend considerable effort trying to acquire exclusive marketing deals and sometimes even timed-exclusive software. MS is still sinking a lot of money into building the Xbox brand after losing significant market share last generation, as the buyouts of Zenimax and ABK show. How long the competition continues between them remains to be seen. If any of the Big Three ends up going third-party first, it's going to be Xbox, but for the time being it seems like they're in this for at least the next decade, even if they consistently trail PlayStation in terms of sales.

Of course, things are far less overtly confrontational than they were in the 90s, when console makers (esp. Sega) would routinely engage in what amounted to attack ads, finding ways to denigrate the competition. The "16-bit Wars" really felt like an actual conflict between competing companies. Nowadays it's just certain gamers themselves denigrating other platforms out of brand loyalty, while the actual people who run these companies' gaming divisions are publicly rather magnanimous towards their respective competition.

And these days, Nintendo only serves as nominal competition to the others. For the past 18 years they've been doing their own thing, offering different experiences than what you get from a conventional home console.

Visit http://shadowofthevoid.wordpress.com

In accordance to the VGC forum rules, §8.5, I hereby exercise my right to demand to be left alone regarding the subject of the effects of the pandemic on video game sales (i.e., "COVID bump").

Yes, but it's not as overt. Sony and Microsoft are still cut-throat, still trying to wipe the other out, but it's become more political, more behind-the-scenes. On the surface, they are friends. Behind closed doors, however, it's straight up Thunderdome. That's the only difference.

Not sure about console wars per say, but people still get disproportionally emotional whenever a Nintendo IP is involved in some way. Just look at the recent Palword Vs. Pokémon debate.

Shadow1980 said:

I mean, yeah, kinda-sorta.

There is still direct competition between PlayStation & Xbox. Both MS and Sony spend considerable effort trying to acquire exclusive marketing deals and sometimes even timed-exclusive software. MS is still sinking a lot of money into building the Xbox brand after losing significant market share last generation, as the buyouts of Zenimax and ABK show. How long the competition continues between them remains to be seen. If any of the Big Three ends up going third-party first, it's going to be Xbox, but for the time being it seems like they're in this for at least the next decade, even if they consistently trail PlayStation in terms of sales.

Of course, things are far less overtly confrontational than they were in the 90s, when console makers (esp. Sega) would routinely engage in what amounted to attack ads, finding ways to denigrate the competition. The "16-bit Wars" really felt like an actual conflict between competing companies. Nowadays it's just certain gamers themselves denigrating other platforms out of brand loyalty, while the actual people who run these companies' gaming divisions are publicly rather magnanimous towards their respective competition.

And these days, Nintendo only serves as nominal competition to the others. For the past 18 years they've been doing their own thing, offering different experiences than what you get from a conventional home console.

I'd say the 7th gen had some pretty healthy banter especially between PS and Xbox.  The Kevin Butler ads did everything except name the competition which I know SEGA went ahead and did but still it was pretty obvious who they were referring to.  Seemed like once E3 2013 shifted the industry it died down after that.  Sony just absolutely turned their fortunes with one massive day and Xbox seemed cowed from then on.  After they were dominating they stopped attacking as much.

I am Iron Man

It's always been a matter of perspective and timeframe for the specific of this so called war.

It's popular definition was more akin to what we saw during the 90's were marketing and ads was much more in your face telling you their console and games "better" than the competition. They cared about having the gaming creed into their name.

Definition changed up along the generations where even though the Wii, for example, dominated it's generation, it was seen as an outside group, to the war monged between PS and Xbox users. Of course, I'd say the factor and battlefields throughout this shifted from the media to the internet forums and social media where the fans themselves waged this illusionary saint war. YouTubers,Twitter's, etc ... Had to report every bit of info that could make their company looked in advantageous position against the others and make the rivals look like crap.

That part actually still exists but I'd say the public at large isn't caring of it as it might have at some point because as it was pointed to, Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft are basically going through different ventures in the hardware,software and service space at this point.

Still, it's not like the so called war isn't ready to be reignited at every opportunity that pleases one fanbase over the other.
The acquisition saga of Activision/Blizzard by Microsoft made it apparent how both Sony fans and Xbox fans cared about their hardware/software company haha.

Anywoo, as the face of what defines gaming in the future might change, this "console war" and the way we define will prolly change too.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909