By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Discussion Thread - The 14th Annual Greatest Games Event

Suprisingly still only 1 of these masterpieces have been guessed, so let's give it another try:

5) There are four campaigns, three corresponding to the races and a... "spooky" one

I've completed all of them on Brutal of course (feel free to applaud)

Despite large initial success people seem to forget this sequel exists

4) [SPACE] Speak

*jumps*

"Okay what you're doing there is jumping. You just... you just jumped. But nevermind. Say 'Apple'. 'Aaaapple'"

3) The game that turned a semi-obscure licensed IP into a massive phenomenon

Even though it isn't the first in the series

But who wouldn't want to slay monsters in fantasy Poland?

1) Unlike many I prefer the instrumental english opening

Which in a way is also is more fitting given the title of the game

Since it sounds like a... Symphony

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

Around the Network
UnderwaterFunktown said:

Suprisingly still only 1 of these masterpieces have been guessed, so let's give it another try:

5) There are four campaigns, three corresponding to the races and a... "spooky" one

4) [SPACE] Speak

*jumps*

"Okay what you're doing there is jumping. You just... you just jumped. But nevermind. Say 'Apple'. 'Aaaapple'"

3.- I wanna say Monster Hunter 4 (MH4U), since its the one that introduced the franchise in the west in a big way. But I dont know about the poland thing. 

1.- Tales of Symphonia

UnderwaterFunktown said:

4) [SPACE] Speak

*jumps*

#4 is Portal 2?

#3 is The Witcher 3?

Jpcc86 said:
UnderwaterFunktown said:

4) [SPACE] Speak

*jumps*

3.- I wanna say Monster Hunter 4 (MH4U), since its the one that introduced the franchise in the west in a big way. But I dont know about the poland thing. 

1.- Tales of Symphonia

3 is wrong, but you got the most important one: Tales of Symphonia indeed!

Veknoid_Outcast said:
UnderwaterFunktown said:

4) [SPACE] Speak

*jumps*

#4 is Portal 2?

#3 is The Witcher 3?

Yes, both correct!

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

#10Ōkami
guessed bydrbunnig
platformPS2/Wii/Switch
release year2006
developer/publisherClover Studio/Capcom
genreaction adventure
linksWikipedia
past years2022: #9, 2021: #5, 2020: #9, 2019: #9, 2018: #8, 2017: #12

One of the most beautiful games ever made. Sadly Capcom closed Clover Studio afterwards.

last years write-up

#9Tokyo Mirage Sessions ♯FE
guessed byUnderwaterFunktown
platformWiiU/Switch
release year2015
developer/publisherAtlus
genreturn based RPG
linksWikipedia
past years2022: #5, 2021: #6, 2020: #4, 2019: #6, 2018: #6

The game was announced way too early and seemingly got some hickups in the development. But when it finally came out, it may have not saved the ill-fated WiiU, but it brought us one glorious RPG.

last years write-up

#8Dragon Quest Builders 2
guessed byno one
platformSwitch
release year2018
developer/publisherSquareEnix
genresandbox
linksWikipedia
past years2022: #6, 2021: #4, 2020: #2, 2019: #2

Malroth is my bestie. Gimme that high-fives!

last years write-up

#7Pandora's Tower
guessed bydrbunnig
platformWii
release year2011
developer/publisherGanbarion
genreaction adventure
linksWikipedia
past years2022: #2, 2021: #3, 2020: #5, 2019: #4, 2018: #3, 2017: #3

I think there is hardly a more underappreciated game. It is such a gem, but hitting the Wii late in it's lifetime, being a complicated involved game on a more casual console and most importantly the death sentence of non-publishing by Nintendo of America make it a rare gem. We saw some remasters of Wii games, but it is highly unlikely Pandora's Tower gets this treatment - sadly. Although, some months ago I would've said the same thing of Another Code R and in January the remake will arrive.

last years write-up

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network

Well, then let's go for the finale, shall we?

#6: Xenoblade Chronicles as guessed by UnderwaterFunktown.

#5: Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl as guessed by UnderwaterFunktown.

#4: Katamari Damacy as guessed by Darashiva.

#3: Heroes of Might and Magic III as guessed by UnderwaterFunktown.
Restoration of Erathia.

#2: Elden Ring as guessed by UnderwaterFunktown.
One enemy is just a big completely round boulder that tries to roll over you. I guess better than the statue that actually isn't a statue.

#1: Baldur's Gate III as guessed by UnderwaterFunktown.
Their former master used Shovel to dig up corpses. But maybe you will rename them to Fork or Basket. Either way, you may find a use for them.

Last edited by Mnementh - on 29 December 2023

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Updated to day 4.

3 to go! Here are clues:

3 - A spiritual sequel to game #1 on my list.

2 - You have a bromance with the villian and don't know what to do with yourself when he shockingly dies.

1 - Rawk Hawk!!!!!!

15. My favorite JRPG from 2022. It features an expansive world like most games in this series and fun mobile gameplay. Right away, at the start of the game you have to make a decision which character will be the protagonist, and the story will be slightly different based on this choice.

The previous game in this series may have been lambasted for being too short and lacking content, but this game delivers on all the content you would need. It even has a fancy minigame called Es'owa where you can use characters on cards from previous games.

This is the 6th game in a JRPG series named after the sea of celestial bodies.

10. The main character was involved in a crime, but probably falsely accused.

"It's not a game
I'm not a robot AI challenging you"

9. Another word for Destiny and another word for Bluff crash land on an uncivilized world called Elicoor.

Probably the most famous entry in this series is also considered the end of the series, eventually you can recruit a dragonrider named Albel who is voiced by Crispin Freeman in the English version.

8. Capturing new monsters and leveling up was needlessly complicated in this sequel, but when you figure it out your party's power grows exponentially in this 3v3 turn based combat.

To be more clear you can only level up by fusing the monsters together to make a new monster, then they have a new level cap and stronger stats. You can only capture monsters by using the in dungeon feature by shooting presents at the monsters. So first time playthroughs of this game can be difficult until you realize you definitely need more monsters to fuse with and level up.

Dulfite said:

Updated to day 4.

3 to go! Here are clues:

3 - A spiritual sequel to game #1 on my list.

2 - You have a bromance with the villian and don't know what to do with yourself when he shockingly dies.

1 - Rawk Hawk!!!!!!

Number 1 would be The Thousand Year Door I would guess. Not sure what number 3 would be... Bug Fables comes to mind as a similar game but it's not made by Nintendo (although does it necessarily have to be made by the same company?) I feel like I'm missing something super obvious here

Dark Souls 3

9.5/10

Dark Souls 3 was my first venture into the Souls-like genre. It was definitely a hard game to get into. My first attempted playthrough of this game ended about halfway through. I managed to make it through a good number of bosses (not without hundreds of deaths though) then my run was ended when I made it to Pontiff Sulyvahn, a boss I still dread fighting even after beating the game two years later. After countless failed attempts at this boss I finally gave up and put the game away. I was convinced these types of games were for insane masochists who enjoyed punishing gameplay and i would never enjoy them. It wasn't until two years later that I came back to the game after my friend who was a Soul's fan urged me to try the game again.

I'm not sure what it was but something just clicked with the second playthrough of this game. It may have had something with reading the Berserk manga (which was a huge inspiration for these games btw) right before starting playing again. I chose a different starting class this time, I tried exploring each area a bit more this time around and got access to some weapons, spells and armor I missed the first time around. I also learned more about the game mechanics such as poise, invincibility frames, and breaking through an enemies guard, parrying, etc. I eventually defeated that boss that was giving me trouble and proceeded to beat every other boss in the game including the dlc's. 

Completing this game and just defeating bosses that I first thought impossible is just one of the most satisfying and rewarding experiences I've had in gaming. and it's a game I will cherish forever.