By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Spider Man 2 surpasses Mario Wonder sales on physical media in the United Kingdom.

DekutheEvilClown said:

Why are people acting like Spider-Man will have no legs? The original had a 3.3M opening and broke 20m. Miles Morales had a much lower opening and was the 12th best selling game in the USA in 2020 and 6th in 2021.

Most Sony games have legs:

Horizon: Zero Dawn did 2.2m in its first 2 weeks and 20m+ lifetime.
God of War opening week was 3.1M and did 20m+
Ghost of Tsushima has a 2.4m opening week and it reached 9.7M by July 2022 and will probably hit 15-20m lifetime.
Uncharted 4 opening 7 days sold 2.7M and hit 15m by May 2019 (lifetime unknown)
The Last of Us sold 1.3M in 7 days and hit 20m in October 2019 across PS3+4

I think PC ports are doing better than many expected. 

Take God of War for instance. It was announced at 19M+ lifetime in Aug/Sept of 2021, launched on PC in Jan 2022, and hit 23M lifetime by the end of Oct 22. SpiderMan, and maybe TLOU down the line, are the only IP's that will be more evergreen than GoW from Sony's first party, IMO. 

Around the Network
IcaroRibeiro said:
DekutheEvilClown said:

Why are people acting like Spider-Man will have no legs? The original had a 3.3M opening and broke 20m. Miles Morales had a much lower opening and was the 12th best selling game in the USA in 2020 and 6th in 2021.

Most Sony games have legs:

Horizon: Zero Dawn did 2.2m in its first 2 weeks and 20m+ lifetime.
God of War opening week was 3.1M and did 20m+
Ghost of Tsushima has a 2.4m opening week and it reached 9.7M by July 2022 and will probably hit 15-20m lifetime.
Uncharted 4 opening 7 days sold 2.7M and hit 15m by May 2019 (lifetime unknown)
The Last of Us sold 1.3M in 7 days and hit 20m in October 2019 across PS3+4

This was before Sony started giving away their games for free as part of PS Plus subscription. Horizon FW sold 8.4 million in one year and I doubt it will leg anywhere close to 12 million as long it's part of their subscriptions program. PC will push it to over 15 million, but Sony current strategy cost them sales in long run 

Yes subs and give away may certainly cut the leg of sales short, but probably financial impact will be neutered by gain/sustain in subs. Curious to see how far can these games fare with the new strategy from Sony (saleswise and sure impact wise with the multimidia effort).

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

This was before Sony started giving away their games for free as part of PS Plus subscription. Horizon FW sold 8.4 million in one year and I doubt it will leg anywhere close to 12 million as long it's part of their subscriptions program. PC will push it to over 15 million, but Sony current strategy cost them sales in long run 

Yes subs and give away may certainly cut the leg of sales short, but probably financial impact will be neutered by gain/sustain in subs. Curious to see how far can these games fare with the new strategy from Sony (saleswise and sure impact wise with the multimidia effort).

I'm not implying Sony doesn't know what they are doing

They certainly have estathistical models to measure the financial impact of putting games as bonus of subscription services 

Just stating this will cost them sales 

Last edited by IcaroRibeiro - on 25 October 2023

IcaroRibeiro said:
DonFerrari said:

I'm not implying Sony doesn't know what they are doing

They certainly have estathistical models to measure the financial impact of putting games as bonus of subscription services 

Just stating this will cost them sales 

I understood that, wasn't disagreeing from you, I even said I'm curious to see if we will have data for total sales for those titles a few years in the future and/or big increases in subs numbers/revenue caused by their inclusion on the sub (the first one I think we may see, the second one I don't think so).

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Normal service has been resumed.

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

Around the Network

So just like most of us predicted. Mario Wonder is immediately showing better evergreen sales as the latest UK Chart now has Mario Wonder as the bestselling physical game for the week. SM2 definitely a game that's more launch heavy in sakes but Mario Wonder will sell more long term

javi741 said:

So just like most of us predicted. Mario Wonder is immediately showing better evergreen sales as the latest UK Chart now has Mario Wonder as the bestselling physical game for the week. SM2 definitely a game that's more launch heavy in sakes but Mario Wonder will sell more long term

For physicals yes, Sony still has a much higher digital ratio for their average title

Last edited by Otter - on 30 October 2023

World order is re-stored.... Mario is in the top spot. by next week sales will be higher physically overall too.

Switch!!!

The superior game sells better as it should be. SMW has higher Meta and less bugs

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

It’s also £39.85 on Shopto(biggest gaming only seller) vs. Spider-man 2 at £64.85(£40.99 vs £61.99 on Amazon). It was also available at £37.49 pre-order in the UK. The game was very likely overstocked.