By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Spider Man 2 surpasses Mario Wonder sales on physical media in the United Kingdom.

sorry for my English. But I had to open this topic because I found it curious. the ps5 has a much smaller installed base than the switch in the UK. In addition to the fact that Nintendo sells more physical media than Sony.

Around the Network

UK is a relatively week market for Nintendo. Worldwide Mario Wonder should dominate Spider-Man 2, especially in Japan.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

I don't really see mario wonder having a massive opening week. I think it'll be more spread out over the holiday season.

I had suspected this could happen, looking good for Spider-Man. Wonder will sell more over the holiday, but considering that it outsold Wonder "comfortably" in a physical only chart when PS games have higher digital ratios, I don't think Wonder will catch up to Spidey in the UK.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

Spiderman swings high, but Mario generally runs much longer

Around the Network

Vouchers, vouchers, vouchers. Switch games are about 20% cheaper when you buy digital compared to physical for the majority of Europe, not sure if the UK takes part in this. TotK also had vouchers, but I think 3d open world adventures are more popular with UK people than 2D platformers.

Still very impressive launch for Spider-Man though, licenced games have come a long way.

That is impressive for a PS5 exclusive.

anonymunchy said:

Vouchers, vouchers, vouchers. Switch games are about 20% cheaper when you buy digital compared to physical for the majority of Europe, not sure if the UK takes part in this. TotK also had vouchers, but I think 3d open world adventures are more popular with UK people than 2D platformers.

Still very impressive launch for Spider-Man though, licenced games have come a long way.

True, hence why I got a 256GB SD card. Games are very rarely discounted here in the stores, so most of my games are digital-only. It's simply not worth it buying in the stores if you pay 20%-80% more than digitally

Let’s wait for final 1st week numbers or final 1st month numbers

Not surprising. UK is a much stronger territory for Playstation than Nintendo. And also Nintendo's got the vouchers program currently so it pretty much makes no sense to buy full priced first party games since you get the games $10 off by using a voucher, except for the small percentage of people who are game collectors and sticklers for only getting physical copies. Personally, I used my second voucher for Wonder (TotK was my first voucher).

Wonder will easily have outsold Spiderman 2 at launch globally this weekend, though still it's not like Wonder is gonna put up anything near Pokemon V/S or TotK 10 million numbers for launch weekend. I'd guess Wonder probably did like 7+ million opening weekend, Spiderman 2 probably more like 5-6 million - just guesses but seems likely. Also Wonder is going to have a big holiday season with millions of kids who watched the Mario movie asking for it for Christmas. Wonder could potentially outsell Spiderman 2's lifetime numbers just this quarter as it wouldn't be surprising for Wonder to get to around 20m by end of year. UK physical only sales for launch weekend don't mean much for Wonder's success.