By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Spider Man 2 surpasses Mario Wonder sales on physical media in the United Kingdom.

King Mario is destroying the competition this holidays

Around the Network
Bofferbrauer2 said:
anonymunchy said:

Vouchers, vouchers, vouchers. Switch games are about 20% cheaper when you buy digital compared to physical for the majority of Europe, not sure if the UK takes part in this. TotK also had vouchers, but I think 3d open world adventures are more popular with UK people than 2D platformers.

Still very impressive launch for Spider-Man though, licenced games have come a long way.

True, hence why I got a 256GB SD card. Games are very rarely discounted here in the stores, so most of my games are digital-only. It's simply not worth it buying in the stores if you pay 20%-80% more than digitally

Interesting in Australia it's the opposite most new edition standard physical games retail around $30.00 under digital pricing usually around $79/89.00 mark compared to $109/119.00 for digital.  

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

mjk45 said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

True, hence why I got a 256GB SD card. Games are very rarely discounted here in the stores, so most of my games are digital-only. It's simply not worth it buying in the stores if you pay 20%-80% more than digitally

Interesting in Australia it's the opposite most new edition standard physical games retail around $30.00 under digital pricing usually around $79/89.00 mark compared to $109/119.00 for digital.  

What the fudge ?! That's such a huge advantage for you. We'd never get that here in Canada. Digital and physical pricing are in most cases always on parity.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Mar1217 said:
mjk45 said:

What the fudge ?! That's such a huge advantage for you. We'd never get that here in Canada. Digital and physical pricing are in most cases always on parity.

In Brazil the MSRP is basically the same but you can get 10-20% discount pre-ordering and paying on pix/upfront.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Super Mario wonder still no. 1 in U.K. Spiderman 2 down to no. 3. Hopefully we will get some indication of SMW sales tomorrow in the Nintendo report.

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

Around the Network
peachbuggy said:

Super Mario wonder still no. 1 in U.K. Spiderman 2 down to no. 3. Hopefully we will get some indication of SMW sales tomorrow in the Nintendo report.

I'm actually more surprised for SM2 to being able to held 3 weeks on the TOP 3, it is holding much better than expected, first month sales will likely be great.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
peachbuggy said:

I'm actually more surprised for SM2 to being able to held 3 weeks on the TOP 3, it is holding much better than expected, first month sales will likely be great.

I'm sure they will, as physical sales are only a small amount of total sales in places like the U.K.

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

another week same King!

Switch!!!

javi741 said:

Not a major surprise, UK tbh is one of the weaker countries for Nintendo, it wasn't until very recently the Switch outsold the Xbox One over there which is wild to say since it felt like an eternity since the Switch outsold the Xbox One globally.
Also, I definitely feel like Mario Wonder isn't the type of game to necessarily have huge launch numbers, I see it as more of an evergreen title since simpler Mario games don't have as much of a harcore fanbase like bigger more complex games like Zelda or even Spiderman, I see the Mario audience as being more casual gamers who would pick it up once they hear about it or get the opportunity, in the long run Mario Wonder I believe should do better overall.

I'm pretty sure Mario Maker 2 had a better launch period than NSMBU but NSMBU ended up outselling Mario Maker by more than 2 times as much just off of evergreen sales alone.

In terms of other sales stats, the launch of Wonder is down 62% compared to Zelda in the UK. But again I expect Wonder to do better when it comes to evergreen sales.

Compared to NSMBWii, Wonder's launch physical sales are about the same in the opening period with 79,000 copiers sold. It's good to remember though this doesn't include digital sales of Wonder so if we were to assume the ratio stays the same with 50% physical sales and 50% digital sales, Wonder had a launch most likely that was twice as big as NSMBWii, which is impressive.

Also, in pretty much every country Mario Wonder is remaining the top video game seller in Amazon beating spiderman 2. I expect Wonder to fair much better worldwide than in the UK.

Pretty much nailed this prediction here, in December Mario Wonder sold more than it did in its launch month in October which is definitely very impressive evergreen sales. Even though the game launched in October 20th and had 11 days to sell compared to 31 days in December, most other big games tend to have the majority of their sales within the first week or two of release, for Mario Wonder to sell more two months after release is highly impressive and proves how much bigger Mario is as an evergreen title. The Mario fanbase doesn't contain as many diehard hard-core fans who'd buy the game Day 1, but encompasses a much broader consumer base of more casual fans who'd pick it up once they here about it or get the opportunity to purchase it which is why Mario games tend to be much bigger evergreen games than others.

UK annual sales just came out and spider man still beating mario wonder of course digital and bundles it included.