By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Spider Man 2 surpasses Mario Wonder sales on physical media in the United Kingdom.

Spider 2 is superb. Good for spider.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
KLAMarine said:

how big are file sizes for both games?

SM2 is close to 90Gb, Mario is like 4Gb.

I know which of these two I'd rather download. The other I would get physical.

Biggest PS exclusive(and almost only this year) beats a big Nintendo release in it's weakest European territory.

Don't misunderstand me, still a surprise win for Spiderman actually but truth is, the Switch install base in the UK is not as grand as people dangling the 130M number might initially think. It only has surpassed the Xbox One which isn't the greatest indicator for a lively base there.

Still with the digital aspect, Mario Wonder is prolly standing on top of the franchise there. Just not as flashy as some would've wanted

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

anonymunchy said:

Vouchers, vouchers, vouchers. Switch games are about 20% cheaper when you buy digital compared to physical for the majority of Europe, not sure if the UK takes part in this. TotK also had vouchers, but I think 3d open world adventures are more popular with UK people than 2D platformers.

Still very impressive launch for Spider-Man though, licenced games have come a long way.

Wonder is 20% (or more) less than the RRP at Amazon in most European countries. 

kazuyamishima said:
anonymunchy said:

Vouchers, vouchers, vouchers. Switch games are about 20% cheaper when you buy digital compared to physical for the majority of Europe, not sure if the UK takes part in this. TotK also had vouchers, but I think 3d open world adventures are more popular with UK people than 2D platformers.

Still very impressive launch for Spider-Man though, licenced games have come a long way.

Wonder is 20% (or more) less than the RRP at Amazon in most European countries. 

Appears so. In the UK the download code from Amazon is even more expensive than the physical version. Strange.

Around the Network

Checking the three big European Amazon websites (UK, France, Germany), what's more interesting than their discounts for SMB Wonder and Spider-Man 2 are their sales figures over the past month on each respective site.

In the UK Spider-Man 2 did the best across the three countries with 10k+ copies sold. In France it's only 5k+, in Germany 7k+.

SMB Wonder doesn't even have a sales figure on Amazon UK, so it's probably safe to assume that it's below 5k; in any case, this lines up with the overall UK sales charts for physical games where SMB Wonder did less than SM2. In France SMB Wonder stands at 20k+, in Germany even at 40k+.

I do not think that we can extrapolate sales ratios from Amazon, but it's at least very probable that SMB Wonder did beat SM2 in France and Germany. I also doubt that SMB Wonder sold twice as well in Germany as it did in France, because I put that difference down to nothing more than different purchasing habits, meaning Germans are by default more likely to buy video games from Amazon.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV will outsell Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I was wrong.

RolStoppable said:

I do not think that we can extrapolate sales ratios from Amazon, but it's at least very probable that SMB Wonder did beat SM2 in France and Germany. I also doubt that SMB Wonder sold twice as well in Germany as it did in France, because I put that difference down to nothing more than different purchasing habits, meaning Germans are by default more likely to buy video games from Amazon.

Not to mention that Austria doesn't have its own Amazon website - Austrians order everything through Amazon Germany. I have contributed my part to the 40K+ :)

wait 1 year and Mario will be far ahead of spider-man 2

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

Give Mario a complete week or full month

it will sell like x5 the spiderman game life time

My thought was that this didn't include digital and that may explain the Spiderman win but Spiderman physical numbers don't include digital so Spiderman is firmly in first place there. All I can say is that both are clearly popular.