By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Spider Man 2 surpasses Mario Wonder sales on physical media in the United Kingdom.

znake said:

Give Mario a complete week or full month

it will sell like x5 the spiderman game life time

Spiderman is probably going to sell at least 20 million lifetime.  I highly doubt that Mario sells 100 million.  

Around the Network
jvmkdg said:

sorry for my English. But I had to open this topic because I found it curious. the ps5 has a much smaller installed base than the switch in the UK. In addition to the fact that Nintendo sells more physical media than Sony.

Your English is fine.

znake said:

The only way this happens is if SpiderMan 2 massively underperforms or Mario Wonder sells like GTA6. 

Bofferbrauer2 said:

Spiderman swings high, but Mario generally runs much longer

Yes, that's often the nature of Nintendo titles. But of course, we have games that are the exception like Scarlet & Violet and Tears of the Kingdom with massive 20 million opening weekends that then fall off a cliff in comparison (despite still selling like crazy).

Spider-Man 2 will invariably get a second wind when it gets a PC release (banking on 2025 or 2026), even if that ends up being a far less popular release of the game. 

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 161 million (was 73 million, then 96 million, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million, then 151 million, then 156 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 48 million (was 60 million, then 67 million, then 57 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

this news is unacceptable

Around the Network
znake said:

SM1 sold 25M, I don't think Mario Wonder will sell 5x more than SM2.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Why are people acting like Spider-Man will have no legs? The original had a 3.3M opening and broke 20m. Miles Morales had a much lower opening and was the 12th best selling game in the USA in 2020 and 6th in 2021.

Most Sony games have legs:

Horizon: Zero Dawn did 2.2m in its first 2 weeks and 20m+ lifetime.
God of War opening week was 3.1M and did 20m+
Ghost of Tsushima has a 2.4m opening week and it reached 9.7M by July 2022 and will probably hit 15-20m lifetime.
Uncharted 4 opening 7 days sold 2.7M and hit 15m by May 2019 (lifetime unknown)
The Last of Us sold 1.3M in 7 days and hit 20m in October 2019 across PS3+4

RolStoppable said:

Checking the three big European Amazon websites (UK, France, Germany), what's more interesting than their discounts for SMB Wonder and Spider-Man 2 are their sales figures over the past month on each respective site.

In the UK Spider-Man 2 did the best across the three countries with 10k+ copies sold. In France it's only 5k+, in Germany 7k+.

SMB Wonder doesn't even have a sales figure on Amazon UK, so it's probably safe to assume that it's below 5k; in any case, this lines up with the overall UK sales charts for physical games where SMB Wonder did less than SM2. In France SMB Wonder stands at 20k+, in Germany even at 40k+.

I do not think that we can extrapolate sales ratios from Amazon, but it's at least very probable that SMB Wonder did beat SM2 in France and Germany. I also doubt that SMB Wonder sold twice as well in Germany as it did in France, because I put that difference down to nothing more than different purchasing habits, meaning Germans are by default more likely to buy video games from Amazon.

It was 20k+ on Amazon UK.

DekutheEvilClown said:

Why are people acting like Spider-Man will have no legs? The original had a 3.3M opening and broke 20m. Miles Morales had a much lower opening and was the 12th best selling game in the USA in 2020 and 6th in 2021.

Most Sony games have legs:

Horizon: Zero Dawn did 2.2m in its first 2 weeks and 20m+ lifetime.
God of War opening week was 3.1M and did 20m+
Ghost of Tsushima has a 2.4m opening week and it reached 9.7M by July 2022 and will probably hit 15-20m lifetime.
Uncharted 4 opening 7 days sold 2.7M and hit 15m by May 2019 (lifetime unknown)
The Last of Us sold 1.3M in 7 days and hit 20m in October 2019 across PS3+4

This was before Sony started giving away their games for free as part of PS Plus subscription. Horizon FW sold 8.4 million in one year and I doubt it will leg anywhere close to 12 million as long it's part of their subscriptions program. PC will push it to over 15 million, but Sony current strategy cost them sales in long run 

IcaroRibeiro said:

This was before Sony started giving away their games for free as part of PS Plus subscription. Horizon FW sold 8.4 million in one year and I doubt it will leg anywhere close to 12 million as long it's part of their subscriptions program. PC will push it to over 15 million, but Sony current strategy cost them sales in long run 

I think the transition from retail to subscription service will vary game to game. We'll probably see something like HellDivers 2 hit PlayStation Plus before Ragnarok, GT7, or The Last of Us Part 1. I don't even think The Last of Us Part 2 is on PS+ yet. 

Not to mention, HFW arrived on PS+ right before the Burning Shores DLC, so that may have been why Sony ported it to Plus quickly.