By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - NINTENDO should add a home console version for switch 2

Bofferbrauer2 said:
KratosLives said:

I feel most people game on their tv. If you look at the ads,  it was all about brining people together at home. Friends and family.

Didn't Nintendo release a statistic about Switch usage a couple years ago? Someone has a link to it to see how the Switch is used?

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2017/171031_2e.pdf

It was in their financial results for fiscal year ending March 2018.

About 20 % using Switch primary in TV mode.
About 30 % using Switch primary in Handheld/Tabletop mode.
About 50 % using Switch in both modes.

I guess Nintendo focused on a dedicated handheld device (Switch Lite), because more users play in handheld mode than TV mode.
Imo 20 % wouldn't be too bad to release a dedicated TV only Switch model, though.

Last edited by siebensus4 - on 07 June 2023

Around the Network
siebensus4 said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

Didn't Nintendo release a statistic about Switch usage a couple years ago? Someone has a link to it to see how the Switch is used?

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2017/171031_2e.pdf

It was in their financial results for fiscal year ending March 2018.

About 20 % using Switch primary in TV mode.
About 30 % using Switch primary in Handheld/Tabletop mode.
About 50 % using Switch in both modes.

I guess Nintendo focused on a dedicated handheld device (Switch Lite), because more users play in handheld mode than TV mode.
Imo 20 % wouldn't be too bad to release a dedicated TV only Switch model, though.

I believe TV users increased after the pandemic 

Do you know what I like about the Switch that I haven't seen discussed here? I play the Switch in more than one location, but I primarily use it as a docked device. I love being able to simply switch rooms that I'm playing in by just taking it from one dock to another. There are several Switches in my household connected to several tvs. When someone wants to game on the large tv, they just take their Switch to the dock connected to the largest tv.

So even though I rarely if ever use the console in handheld mode, I very much appreciate the versatility it offers. For all of you clamoring for this traditional tv only device, you just want a more powerful piece of hardware. You will never stop wanting that. Even if Nintendo decides to offer you what you are requesting in this thread, you will still not be happy with the specs and will consider it a lesser device when compared to Microsoft and Sony's offerings. You are an insatiable market for Nintendo, and thankfully there are 125 million users that aren't affected by the same affliction. If Nintendo doesn't release a tv only device they won't lose. If they create a disparity between a tv only device and their handheld device they will alienate their core fanbase and that would definitely lose them sales.

I would love it, but I doubt it'll happen. I really miss when Nintendo was still in the dedicated home console market. Heck, for that matter, I miss when Nintendo was still in the dedicated handheld market. Back then, their systems were unique from one another, had their own UI, own music, own games that were different from one another. Now it's all the same, and while the magic is still there game wise, and they're putting out amazing titles, it feels like something is missing.

super_etecoon said:

Do you know what I like about the Switch that I haven't seen discussed here? I play the Switch in more than one location, but I primarily use it as a docked device. I love being able to simply switch rooms that I'm playing in by just taking it from one dock to another. There are several Switches in my household connected to several tvs. When someone wants to game on the large tv, they just take their Switch to the dock connected to the largest tv.

So even though I rarely if ever use the console in handheld mode, I very much appreciate the versatility it offers. For all of you clamoring for this traditional tv only device, you just want a more powerful piece of hardware. You will never stop wanting that. Even if Nintendo decides to offer you what you are requesting in this thread, you will still not be happy with the specs and will consider it a lesser device when compared to Microsoft and Sony's offerings. You are an insatiable market for Nintendo, and thankfully there are 125 million users that aren't affected by the same affliction. If Nintendo doesn't release a tv only device they won't lose. If they create a disparity between a tv only device and their handheld device they will alienate their core fanbase and that would definitely lose them sales.

How would they alienate and lose sales? did the switch lite do that? its just a option. everything comes with options these days even the switch but the switch is only focused on pleasing mobile users with the lite, why? switch pro was like the biggest request by the Nintendo fans online why not give it to them? it was probably to expensive  for a pro mobile version but they could have got ps4 specs for peanuts in home console form.

Around the Network

Nintendo doesn't want to make a more powerful SKU of the next system in a home console form-factor, I would think. But there are two things I would like.
1. A TV-only Switch 2. There is still time to make a TV-only Switch, and they should.
2. Have the dock of the Switch 2 be a bigger boost. All the dock of the Switch does is recognize the system is plugged in, so the resolution and specs go up since they're not restricted by a battery.
I simply don't think there is a market for a home-console Switch 2 with far better (but not a generation ahead) specs.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Let's be honest I bet most of you bought the original and a OLED model. One home and one handheld would work then wouldn't it.

Random_Matt said:

Let's be honest I bet most of you bought the original and a OLED model. One home and one handheld would work then wouldn't it.

Not seeing the equivalence here. Both the original Switch and OLED are hybrid platforms. I know people who traded in their original for the OLED. They are substitutes, not complements. 

I think if the thread was about Nintendo releasing a more powerful or better Switch 2 Pro three years into its life time, people wouldn't be so closed to the idea. Likewise multiple people were fine with a PSTV sort of situation in the thread. 

It's the scenario where Nintendo diverts resources to a form-factor without any real purpose that makes the "should" questionable. The Switch Lite at least had a clear target market (casual gamers who wanted a cheaper system and children) and many were sour about the fact it didn't have the hybrid capabilities. 

Honestly for the half a dozen or so gamers who want a 4k Switch or Switch 2, they should look into emulation in my opinion. TOTK looks and runs great even on six year old GPU's and modern but low-cost CPU's. Switch 2 probably will have some sort of emulator mid-way into its lifetime, as most Nintendo systems do. 

Is traditionalism still a thing while debating this? Like, bro. Get a grip it's just video game.

I am not a handheld gamer myself, but when I am lazy laying down on my bed it isn't a burden for me to play using handheld mode, if gets uncomfortable holding for too long I can use tabletop mode: I place my switch on one of my pillows to keep it vertically then I stay lay down on my side back for hours, while still playing. You all talk about options, but the hybrid nature from the switch is what give you the most numbers of options from the get-go.

Even if you have the best gaming chair and the best display, it will get uncomfortable for you when you pass some time on this same position, embrace what the switch is offering for gaming 😉 

Last edited by 160rmf - on 07 June 2023

We reap what we sow

I think the lack of competitors in portable space is what makes Switch so huge. Sure it would be successful regardless, but having no option other than Nintendo is making every handheld gamer flocks towards Nintendo and is the key answer of why Wii capped at 90 million while Switch will sell 150 million 

The hybrid factor affects a bit home console owners who needs to give up power and get nothing in return, but I don't think this matter much.

The true audience for Nintendo home consoles is at best 30 million, considering the results from N64, GC and Wii U. This is the absolute peak I can see a Switch 2 TV selling, granted it's not having a substantial difference in power from Hybrid Switch 2

So, is 30 million buyers enough for Nintendo to justify R&D necessary to develop and sell a Switch 2 TV? The answer is yes, but no

30 million buyers of a Switch 2 TV would be of course enough to justify the existence of the device itself. The problem is the lack of existence of Switch TV is not a deal-breaker for customers

The people who wants the Switch TV will just buy the standard hybrid if there is no TV version. The potential buyers for the TV only device will just cannibalize potential sales for the inevitable hybrid version

So the question is, how many people who are not interested on Switch 2 hybrid are going to buy the TV only device without any significant power leap? Not many I think