By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - NINTENDO should add a home console version for switch 2

160rmf said:

Is traditionalism still a thing while debating this? Like, bro. Get a grip it's just video game.

I am not a handheld gamer myself, but when I am lazy laying down on my bed it isn't a burden for me to play using handheld mode, if gets uncomfortable holding for too long I can use tabletop mode: I place my switch on one of my pillows to keep it vertically then I stay lay down on my side back for hours, while still playing. You all talk about options, but the hybrid nature from the switch is what give you the most numbers of options from the get-go.

Even if you have the best gaming chair and the best display, it will get uncomfortable for you when you pass some time on this same position, embrace what the switch is offering for gaming 😉 

Personally as a handheld the regular switch is uncomfortable and don't get me started on those joycons feels like something from a flea market. S22 with controller all day using emulation.

Around the Network
IcaroRibeiro said:

I think the lack of competitors in portable space is what makes Switch so huge. Sure it would be successful regardless, but having no option other than Nintendo is making every handheld gamer flocks towards Nintendo and is the key answer of why Wii capped at 90 million while Switch will sell 150 million 

The hybrid factor affects a bit home console owners who needs to give up power and get nothing in return, but I don't think this matter much.

The true audience for Nintendo home consoles is at best 30 million, considering the results from N64, GC and Wii U. This is the absolute peak I can see a Switch 2 TV selling, granted it's not having a substantial difference in power from Hybrid Switch 2

So, is 30 million buyers enough for Nintendo to justify R&D necessary to develop and sell a Switch 2 TV? The answer is yes, but no

30 million buyers of a Switch 2 TV would be of course enough to justify the existence of the device itself. The problem is the lack of existence of Switch TV is not a deal-breaker for customers

The people who wants the Switch TV will just buy the standard hybrid if there is no TV version. The potential buyers for the TV only device will just cannibalize potential sales for the inevitable hybrid version

So the question is, how many people who are not interested on Switch 2 hybrid are going to buy the TV only device without any significant power leap? Not many I think 

Depends I believe if they had a released switch home version  2 years ago with ps4 specs it would have did great. If ps4 was success only selling 20% of ps4 why not switch home?

Nah.

The next system should be a hybrid like the Switch.

BasilZero said:

Nah.

The next system should be a hybrid like the Switch.

Of course. The thread was about option after release. If they can release a lite version why not a home version with more power 

zeldaring said:

Of course. The thread was about option after release. If they can release a lite version why not a home version with more power 

I dont even think the Lite version sold that well or as well as they thought it would.

A home console version even if its a little more powerful wouldnt sell as much if there is a hybrid version available.

Around the Network
BasilZero said:
zeldaring said:

I dont even think the Lite version sold that well or as well as they thought it would.

A home console version even if its a little more powerful wouldnt sell as much if there is a hybrid version available.

They are there for options and provide a boost. The switch lite is around 23-26 million. This is a different age where you don't need much for pro or lite version to be successful.

Ok just finished reading all the comments

1. I agree scalable APU would be the way to go to meet the needs of the more powerful gamers needs. However I would go one step further and make the console modular. I would change the design so that the screen can pop out and you can then plug in an extra cooling system in it's place to squeeze out as much as possible in the APU scaling. Hopefully this would also mean it would make it easier to replace the batter and clean any fans inside f the screen was not in the way.

2. I don't think they will bypass Nvidia because DLSS will be something that will help Nintendo have a less powerful console but be able to scale resolution. It is some what a mature feature now (I think DLSS3 is due soon?) so why would you go to another company and built something similar from scratch which will have display bugs. Also I think they will want the Switch games to be backwards compatible.

Last edited by Cobretti2 - on 07 June 2023

Yes. I have no use for the screen nor the uncomfortable controllers attached to the screen. My Switch is always in its dock which is nothing but an inconvenient stand. I will buy a console version in a heart beat, whether it is faster or not. It's simply more convenient to have a small Wii like box instead of a useless dock.
(Plus my Switch's fan is making bad noises and not liking all the fiddly work needed to replace the fan. Gonna need a new one some time...)

SvennoJ said:

Yes. I have no use for the screen nor the uncomfortable controllers attached to the screen. My Switch is always in its dock which is nothing but an inconvenient stand. I will buy a console version in a heart beat, whether it is faster or not. It's simply more convenient to have a small Wii like box instead of a useless dock.
(Plus my Switch's fan is making bad noises and not liking all the fiddly work needed to replace the fan. Gonna need a new one some time...)

Good points here. Nintendo claims it's both yet they release a handheld version only but no love for me people that just want a home console to play Nintendo games

znake said:

No,
Nintendo better keep hybrid console

Nintendo already released non-hybrid Switch consoles.

sc94597 said:

I see no reason to abandon the hybrid form factor for a tiered one. 

They already have?

sc94597 said:

My guess is that Switch 2 will probably use a mobile Ampere-based chip (if Nintendo goes Nvidia.) That'd probably put it between an RTX 3050 mobile and base Tegra Orin when docked, and akin to the RTX 2050 Mobile when portable.  

Tegra Orin -is- Ampere.

Leynos said:

pfft likely more powerful. Steam Deck is just an old laptop crammed in a smaller form. The Orin chips are better. Even if they don't use the rumored custom T239 Orin Chip and use a more stock Orin chip offer more than Steam Deck does in features alone and if they even use a medium-range Orin SoC it's more powerful than Steam Deck.

The biggest limitation with these machines is actually fillrate and memory bandwidth.

Tegra Orin simply has more bandwidth than the Steamdeck, so it would in theory, handle higher resolutions better.

In saying that, the Steamdeck isn't cutting edge, it's a year and a half old at this point, newer PC gaming handhelds are able to double it's performance without much fuss.

Random_Matt said:

Orin is unlikely in my eyes, unless heavily cut down. $449 incoming I reckon, no thanks.

There are mainstream ORIN SoC's with 100GB/s of bandwidth which would be a massive upgrade over the Tegra X1 in Switch which would actually be an ideal candidate for the next gen Switch.

zeldaring said:

I doubt they go with nvda again. Nintendo only went with nvda cause Nintendo got a mind blowing deal on the switch chip set cause they were basically useless for nvda .  I honestly don't see Nintendo going with anything cutting edge cause they never do.

I have never seen any evidence to suggest this assertion to be true.

zeldaring said:
Leynos said:

Nintendo is going Nvidia again.

https://wccftech.com/qualcomm-in-talks-with-nintendo-sony-for-portable-gaming-devices/

Ignoring the fact it's wccftech.com... So you know. They lack any legitimacy.

Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft liaise with -every- chip manufacturer to find the right price/performance/feature set for their next line of consoles, it's part of the R&D process.

Bofferbrauer2 said:
zeldaring said:

I doubt they go with nvda again. Nintendo only went with nvda cause Nintendo got a mind blowing deal on the switch chip set cause they were basically useless for nvda .  I honestly don't see Nintendo going with anything cutting edge cause they never do.

The thing is, for a mobile gaming SoC, NVidia is by far the easiest option.

Other mobile chips don't have GPUs that are directly compatible with the other PC and console counterparts (Though Samsung is getting AMD Radeon graphics in the future) while X86 chips are too power-hungry to get a handheld as light and long-running in handheld mode as the Switch, at least without major modification. For comparison, the Steam Deck and Ayaneo 2 both weight more than double what the Switch OLED does for somewhat worse battery life.

Fun fact. Re-arrange "Adreno" and it spells "Radeon". - It's anagram of when Qualcomm acquired ATI's Radeon mobile technology.

x86 can also scale down to the same powerlevels as ARM. Intel actually managed it with Atom and Samsung built tablets based on that x86 chip and it ran Android+ARM apps without drama.

Bofferbrauer2 said:

I'd argue that with today's hardware, it could be possible to emulate the CPU with an X86 CPU to provide backwards compatibility. But like I said, that would probably make any Switch successor too heavy for prolonged use.

This has been done to death via Binary Translation. The technology exists, it's mature.

Is x86 going to happen? Unlikely.

zeldaring said:

Yup Nintendo has nothing to lose. They will still dominate the handheld market and get more sales from those that want a traditional  console with a descent controller and SSD.

The Nintendo Switch has an SSD.
The WiiU had an SSD.
The Wii had an SSD.

I think it goes to say, any future device from Nintendo will use a solid state drive, integrated or otherwise.

IcaroRibeiro said:

The people who wants the Switch TV will just buy the standard hybrid if there is no TV version. The potential buyers for the TV only device will just cannibalize potential sales for the inevitable hybrid version

There will be an overlap where sales of a Switch-TV will be an additive sale rather than a replacement sale.

I for instance would still retain my portable consoles, but would also jump at the chance to have a cheap $100 Switch TV that will run the *exact* same game library.

I think that is the ideal end-goal for a platform that "can do it all". - All your games, regardless of how you wish to play.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--