By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - NINTENDO should add a home console version for switch 2

Pemalite said:

sc94597 said:

My guess is that Switch 2 will probably use a mobile Ampere-based chip (if Nintendo goes Nvidia.) That'd probably put it between an RTX 3050 mobile and base Tegra Orin when docked, and akin to the RTX 2050 Mobile when portable.  

Tegra Orin -is- Ampere.

I know.

As are the RTX 2050/3050.

The latter sentence was meant to be more specific than the first sentence. 

Whatever specific chip the Switch ends up with likely will have a lower average power consumption than the RTX 3050 laptop/2050 laptop/base Orin, but more effective video memory than the prior two.

Hence, "putting it between an RTX 3050 (35W) mobile and base Tegra Orin when docked." 

Last edited by sc94597 - on 08 June 2023

Around the Network
zeldaring said:
160rmf said:

Is traditionalism still a thing while debating this? Like, bro. Get a grip it's just video game.

I am not a handheld gamer myself, but when I am lazy laying down on my bed it isn't a burden for me to play using handheld mode, if gets uncomfortable holding for too long I can use tabletop mode: I place my switch on one of my pillows to keep it vertically then I stay lay down on my side back for hours, while still playing. You all talk about options, but the hybrid nature from the switch is what give you the most numbers of options from the get-go.

Even if you have the best gaming chair and the best display, it will get uncomfortable for you when you pass some time on this same position, embrace what the switch is offering for gaming 😉 

Personally as a handheld the regular switch is uncomfortable and don't get me started on those joycons feels like something from a flea market. S22 with controller all day using emulation.

Using as a handheld isn't uncomfortable for me, but I don't feel confident about the joy cons handling my grip and the switch weight as opposed strengths, I think it's already proven that the joy cons problems are caused by the long use in handheld mode.

Saying that, tabletop is my way to go while undocked, using the joy cons separately gives you more freedom compared to a traditional controller 

Last edited by 160rmf - on 08 June 2023

We reap what we sow

If you don't like how Switch feels in handheld due to the Joycons just do what I did. Buy some Split Pad Pro controllers. My Joycons have not been used in 4 years.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

I'm generally in favor of offering more choice to customers, but there are reasons not to do this. For one, you want to make your product's key selling point crystal clear, and the Switch's is its hybrid functionality. Although, Nintendo has offered a 2DS and handheld only Switch, so who knows.

But I think there's also a big risk of market confusion. Ideally, you want everyone who owns a platform to be able to play any game on the platform. I used to work in gaming retail, and a lot of people were frustrated when they found out they couldn't play certain games on certain versions of systems, for example GTA V on harddriveless PS360s, certain games on the old 3DS, games that required a specific peripheral, etc. Sometimes it's unavoidable, but you want to minimize those things.

There are also manufacturing related logistics. Particularly around launch time, if you don't properly guesstimate the demand between the two versions of your product, you wind up with situations where you have a bunch of the less popular model that people don't want, and then you wind up foregoing sales. When the Vita came out few people wanted the 3G model, because it really didn't make sense, and a bunch of people decided not to buy it. No idea if they wound up buying one down the line, but it's possible that they just lost the urge and didn't wind up getting one.

Long story short, I wouldn't complain if they did this, but I don't know if it's the best move from a logistics/marketing perspective. I think having one version of a system, especially at launch, is for lack of a better word, cleaner.

JWeinCom said:

I'm generally in favor of offering more choice to customers, but there are reasons not to do this. For one, you want to make your product's key selling point crystal clear, and the Switch's is its hybrid functionality. Although, Nintendo has offered a 2DS and handheld only Switch, so who knows.

But I think there's also a big risk of market confusion. Ideally, you want everyone who owns a platform to be able to play any game on the platform. I used to work in gaming retail, and a lot of people were frustrated when they found out they couldn't play certain games on certain versions of systems, for example GTA V on harddriveless PS360s, certain games on the old 3DS, games that required a specific peripheral, etc. Sometimes it's unavoidable, but you want to minimize those things.

There are also manufacturing related logistics. Particularly around launch time, if you don't properly guesstimate the demand between the two versions of your product, you wind up with situations where you have a bunch of the less popular model that people don't want, and then you wind up foregoing sales. When the Vita came out few people wanted the 3G model, because it really didn't make sense, and a bunch of people decided not to buy it. No idea if they wound up buying one down the line, but it's possible that they just lost the urge and didn't wind up getting one.

Long story short, I wouldn't complain if they did this, but I don't know if it's the best move from a logistics/marketing perspective. I think having one version of a system, especially at launch, is for lack of a better word, cleaner.

It's a different era where almost everything is portable.  switch is a toaster at this point yet its gonna get a current get MK.  

Around the Network
JWeinCom said:

What Nintendo has made crystal clear is that they favor the handheld functionality and consider tv as a side option. There would not be any market confusion as a console version would still play all the same games. But sure, at launch it's easier just to have one SKU. That didn't stop MS and Sony though from coming out with 2 versions each.

Why? The last time nintendo had a successful home console was the Wii..we all know what happened after that. Prior to the Wii we had GameCube and that didn't sell well. It did better then Wii u.

However with their handhelds they all have been hits after hits even with 3ds being lower then the switch and ds.

Not only that switch is hybrid with home console and handheld. Why change what's not broken?

eldaring said:

dane007 said:

It wouldn't work . Nintendo is more dominant with their handheld which is why switch is successful.

They would have a handheld version and home console version it doesn't have to do crazy numbers. Ps4 pro probably sold 15% of what ps4 pro did but it was still considered a success for Sony. Considering how big the Nintendo fan base is now I can see people picking up the handheld and the home console version.

zeldaring said:
dane007 said:

It wouldn't work . Nintendo is more dominant with their handheld which is why switch is successful.

They would have a handheld version and home console version it doesn't have to do crazy numbers. Ps4 pro probably sold 15% of what ps4 pro did but it was still considered a success for Sony. Considering how big the Nintendo fan base is now I can see people picking up the handheld and the home console version.

i hope Nintendo plays safe for Switch 2 and continue with same strategy + new games, (no deluxe versions of old games)

I’m one of the few who uses Switch frequently in TV, handheld, and stand modes.
But I think having Switch in all three form factors would be great. Although, Nintendo would know what best fits their business goals. It might be that the hybrid form factor results in greater proliferation of Switch units and for over a longer period of time.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

SvennoJ said:
JWeinCom said:

What Nintendo has made crystal clear is that they favor the handheld functionality and consider tv as a side option. There would not be any market confusion as a console version would still play all the same games. But sure, at launch it's easier just to have one SKU. That didn't stop MS and Sony though from coming out with 2 versions each.

Software compatibility can be an issue depending on controls. For instance, if Nintendo wanted to do games that rely on touch, such as Kirby Canvas Curse, or something like Nintendo Land which may have each player requiring a separate screen. Of course, Nintendo hasn't done many things on Switch that couldn't work on a home console version. I think Super Mario Party had some minigames requiring two Switches and Kirby Tilt and Tumble wouldn't really work well as a docked game. So, it may not be an issue depending on what software Nintendo is planning. Personally I'd like to see some more touch based stuff (which can somewhat be replicated by Joycons but would be awkward) and stuff making Wii U esque use of multiple Switches.

But, this is going on the assumption that Nintendo is just going to announce a more powerful Switch, and I don't think that's likely. It's been over two decades since Nintendo's done a new system that was just an old one just more powerful. For better or worse, each system has had its own Gimmick, and I don't think that will change now. So, depending on what exactly Nintendo plans to do with the Switch 2, there could be some games that couldn't work or wouldn't work well on the base Switch. All theoretical at this point since I have no idea what kinds of games they'll be making (I'm honestly thinking VR may be a key feature), but we'll see. 

As for Sony and Microsoft releasing multiple SKUs, sure they did, and Nintendo could. That doesn't mean it was the right decision, and there's also the fact that the audience may be different.