By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - NINTENDO should add a home console version for switch 2

zeldaring said:

Nintendo brand is stronger then ever, and with Sony and Microsoft coming out with different models why not Nintendo? Imagine if Sony thought ps4 pro is a success and it didn't come close to selling like the base, it did boost sales and gave customers a choice. It could be something like series- s which they can probably get chips really cheap right now.

I actually agree. I've long thought a Switch Home would be a good idea. It'd be super cheap considering that they wouldn't need to put in a battery and a screen. A Lite, a hybird, a premium hybrid, and a home model feels like a complete family. Sure it wouldn't be the main seller of the system as most people want the hybrid feature, but there are definitely people who don't care about playing portable and are more likely to buy a super cheap $200 system rather than pay an extra $100 for it to be portable.

So yeah for Switch 2 I'd like to see Nintendo put out a complete family of Home ($200), Lite ($200), Hybrid ($350 launch, drop to $300 eventually), and Premium Hybrid ($400 launch, drop to $350 eventually).

Around the Network
JWeinCom said:

Software compatibility can be an issue depending on controls. For instance, if Nintendo wanted to do games that rely on touch, such as Kirby Canvas Curse, or something like Nintendo Land which may have each player requiring a separate screen. Of course, Nintendo hasn't done many things on Switch that couldn't work on a home console version. I think Super Mario Party had some minigames requiring two Switches and Kirby Tilt and Tumble wouldn't really work well as a docked game. So, it may not be an issue depending on what software Nintendo is planning. Personally I'd like to see some more touch based stuff (which can somewhat be replicated by Joycons but would be awkward) and stuff making Wii U esque use of multiple Switches.

But, this is going on the assumption that Nintendo is just going to announce a more powerful Switch, and I don't think that's likely. It's been over two decades since Nintendo's done a new system that was just an old one just more powerful. For better or worse, each system has had its own Gimmick, and I don't think that will change now. So, depending on what exactly Nintendo plans to do with the Switch 2, there could be some games that couldn't work or wouldn't work well on the base Switch. All theoretical at this point since I have no idea what kinds of games they'll be making (I'm honestly thinking VR may be a key feature), but we'll see. 

As for Sony and Microsoft releasing multiple SKUs, sure they did, and Nintendo could. That doesn't mean it was the right decision, and there's also the fact that the audience may be different.

Hence I found the WiiU a better design. You can play on TV with the pro controller or use the pad to make games like super mario maker easier to use. (So nice to build on the pad then seamlessly test creations on tv) It's a shame the Switch can't be used as a secondary screen like the WiiU (Hud, Inventory and Map in hand was so nice to have, clean tv image), a step backwards imo. Another reason why it feels Nintendo just wants to do the handheld part and making a hybrid was to get the tv 'stragglers' to come over to the handheld side. But making a hybrid limited them in touch screen use for games.

Maybe Switch 2 will do both again with a wireless dock so Switch 2 can operate standalone and as a secondary screen. Of course then Nintendo still can't make games that require both the pad and tv. Those asynchronous multiplayer WiiU games will stay on the WiiU.

I hope Nintendo does something with VR, Zelda in VR would be amazing! Not sure if strapping a Switch 2 in a holder will be any good though. I guess a balanced head band with extra battery on the back (so Switch 2 can work in boost mode like Switch docked) might work. Slide the controllers off and slide the screen into the headset.

One size fits a lot, but not all game types. So indeed curious to see what Nintendo has planned for Switch 2.

SvennoJ said:
JWeinCom said:

Software compatibility can be an issue depending on controls. For instance, if Nintendo wanted to do games that rely on touch, such as Kirby Canvas Curse, or something like Nintendo Land which may have each player requiring a separate screen. Of course, Nintendo hasn't done many things on Switch that couldn't work on a home console version. I think Super Mario Party had some minigames requiring two Switches and Kirby Tilt and Tumble wouldn't really work well as a docked game. So, it may not be an issue depending on what software Nintendo is planning. Personally I'd like to see some more touch based stuff (which can somewhat be replicated by Joycons but would be awkward) and stuff making Wii U esque use of multiple Switches.

But, this is going on the assumption that Nintendo is just going to announce a more powerful Switch, and I don't think that's likely. It's been over two decades since Nintendo's done a new system that was just an old one just more powerful. For better or worse, each system has had its own Gimmick, and I don't think that will change now. So, depending on what exactly Nintendo plans to do with the Switch 2, there could be some games that couldn't work or wouldn't work well on the base Switch. All theoretical at this point since I have no idea what kinds of games they'll be making (I'm honestly thinking VR may be a key feature), but we'll see. 

As for Sony and Microsoft releasing multiple SKUs, sure they did, and Nintendo could. That doesn't mean it was the right decision, and there's also the fact that the audience may be different.

Hence I found the WiiU a better design. You can play on TV with the pro controller or use the pad to make games like super mario maker easier to use. (So nice to build on the pad then seamlessly test creations on tv) It's a shame the Switch can't be used as a secondary screen like the WiiU (Hud, Inventory and Map in hand was so nice to have, clean tv image), a step backwards imo. Another reason why it feels Nintendo just wants to do the handheld part and making a hybrid was to get the tv 'stragglers' to come over to the handheld side. But making a hybrid limited them in touch screen use for games.

Maybe Switch 2 will do both again with a wireless dock so Switch 2 can operate standalone and as a secondary screen. Of course then Nintendo still can't make games that require both the pad and tv. Those asynchronous multiplayer WiiU games will stay on the WiiU.

I hope Nintendo does something with VR, Zelda in VR would be amazing! Not sure if strapping a Switch 2 in a holder will be any good though. I guess a balanced head band with extra battery on the back (so Switch 2 can work in boost mode like Switch docked) might work. Slide the controllers off and slide the screen into the headset.

One size fits a lot, but not all game types. So indeed curious to see what Nintendo has planned for Switch 2.

I would say the Wii U design would have been better if the tablet itself was less clunky and it could be used as a portable. But I was also disappointed that it didn't have the ability to display different stuff on the screen and the screen with the Switch. I really liked that functionality, but sadly Nintendo never really did anything interesting with it beyond Nintendo Land. I get why they didn't d that with the Switch, because they wanted to put the hybrid nature front and center. Now that people are familiar with the general concept they can add another wrinkle. This could actually work really nicely with VR, with one person being in their own little self contained world with the headset while others are on the outside.

SvennoJ said:

Why so? I am really digging the idea. I can't wait for a Dual screen return 

Maybe a screen that is detachable from the gaming hardware and works separately as a gamepad?

Last edited by 160rmf - on 09 June 2023

We reap what we sow

Just a home console version could work. It couldnt be more powerful than the handheld though. That would just split the fanbase. Many would probably want a handheld, but also have the most powerful version of the Switch 2. So they would have to buy two systems.

Around the Network

A home console version of the Switch 2 would be nice to have, but I think it would ideal to have that as an alternate version to come out later than the launch version of Switch 2 (which is the hybrid model) to prevent any confusion.

Dual screen was tapped of all its' potential and appeal and no one wanted it anymore. Let it die. Going back to that well is another Wii U failure waiting to happen.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Leynos said:

Dual screen was tapped of all its' potential and appeal and no one wanted it anymore. Let it die. Going back to that well is another Wii U failure waiting to happen.

You could say the same for motion controls, but it doesn't hurt them to keep the functionality to appease its niche since the Wii.

Wii U main problem with DS was putting pressure on software development trying to figure it out its use on almost every game, because Dual Screen was its only marketing purpose.

The hypothetical Switch 2, the screen is already there as a portable so why not add Dual Screen functionality? With how things have evolved nowadays, It's impossible to replicate what happened with Wii U, people should just let go this stigma

We reap what we sow

160rmf said:
Leynos said:

You could say the same for motion controls, but it doesn't hurt them to keep the functionality to appease its niche since the Wii.

Wii U main problem with DS was putting pressure on software development trying to figure it out its use on almost every game, because Dual Screen was its only marketing purpose.

The hypothetical Switch 2, the screen is already there as a portable so why not add Dual Screen functionality? With how things have evolved nowadays, It's impossible to replicate what happened with Wii U, people should just let go this stigma

Motion controls have more practical uses and don't add bulk.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

C'mon ! Bring us back a clamshell dual screen design for the New Nintendo Switch DS !

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909