By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - NINTENDO should add a home console version for switch 2

160rmf said:
SvennoJ said:

Maybe Switch 2 will do both again with a wireless dock so Switch 2 can operate standalone and as a secondary screen. Of course then Nintendo still can't make games that require both the pad and tv. Those asynchronous multiplayer WiiU games will stay on the WiiU.

Why so? I am really digging the idea. I can't wait for a Dual screen return 

Maybe a screen that is detachable from the gaming hardware and works separately as a gamepad?

Same reason we don't get touch screen games on the Switch now, it's a hybrid. You can't make anything requiring a tv as well if you want to keep everything working on a handheld only version.

But sure, as an optional use to have UI and map in your hand instead of taking up space on the screen, I would love to have that again. Lego City Undercover worked amazing with handheld map.

Around the Network

We wont get a dual-screen handheld again.
We won't get a WiiU-like asynchronous display again.
We won't get a 3D capable display again.

These are all approaches that have been done, it's not worth doing any of them, because you need to give up something else to achieve it.

Dual-screens add bulk, require extra development, consumes more battery. - Better off just adding a larger and higher quality display.

WiiU-Asynchronous display gaming requires oodles of bandwidth and needs to be tied to a localized area... Hence why the WiiU's hybrid portable display was extremely range limited.

3D displays reduces pixel counts, performance and introduces other issues like headaches.

They were great for the time, but its time to move on to bigger and better things.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:

These are all approaches that have been done, it's not worth doing any of them, because you need to give up something else to achieve it.

Dual-screens add bulk, require extra development, consumes more battery. - Better off just adding a larger and higher quality display.

WiiU-Asynchronous display gaming requires oodles of bandwidth and needs to be tied to a localized area... Hence why the WiiU's hybrid portable display was extremely range limited.

3D displays reduces pixel counts, performance and introduces other issues like headaches.

They were great for the time, but its time to move on to bigger and better things.

This

All those gimmicks are so tiring

Just give us a good console with good controllers. Playstation haven't changed anything on their design since PS1 and are selling millions. Focus on releasing good games is all that matters. 

Switch is the first time I see a Nintendo console with a design that is actually appealing and don't sound gimmicky. All their other consoles irked me thinking "do we really need any of this? Why can't I just have a normal console and controllers?" 

They found their perfect design already. They just need to release Switch 2, 3, 4 and 5 now like Sony and they will be fine  

Agreed. No gimmicks. Just a better more powerful Switch (a 'Home' version of course can be part of the next-gen family). If they add in one interesting thing that's fine as long as its cool, though I can't imagine what that would be. But just give us next gen Switch without going for some gimmick.

For those interested in a home-console form-factor and also want the home-console form-factor to be more powerful (not a PSTV situation), would you support a 3DS/new 3DS situation where the form factor has exclusive titles, or would you oppose that? (The business sensible decision seems to me that one should oppose it.)

In other-words, should Nintendo obligate developers (and have it a policy for themselves) to only allow games to be released that work on all form-factors? 

As an additional scenario, should Nintendo require minimum performance standards on all form-factors so that developers don't target a higher form-factor and release something broken on the weaker form-factors? 

One of the scenarios I think Nintendo would absolutely have to avoid is a situation like when Cyberpunk 2077 released where the game was functionally unplayable on base 8th gen systems and barely playable on the mid-gen upgrades, as it targeted 9th Gen platforms.  

That is why something like an upgradeable dock, that allows for better power-scaling sounds like a better solution to me, as it forces developers to make sure that the game plays well in handheld mode, basic console mode, and higher-TDP console mode, as a person might play the game in any of these settings. 

Around the Network
sc94597 said:

For those interested in a home-console form-factor and also want the home-console form-factor to be more powerful (not a PSTV situation), would you support a 3DS/new 3DS situation where the form factor has exclusive titles, or would you oppose that? (The business sensible decision seems to me that one should oppose it.)

In other-words, should Nintendo obligate developers (and have it a policy for themselves) to only allow games to be released that work on all form-factors? 

As an additional scenario, should Nintendo require minimum performance standards on all form-factors so that developers don't target a higher form-factor and release something broken on the weaker form-factors? 

One of the scenarios I think Nintendo would absolutely have to avoid is a situation like when Cyberpunk 2077 released where the game was functionally unplayable on base 8th gen systems and barely playable on the mid-gen upgrades, as it targeted 9th Gen platforms.  

That is why something like an upgradeable dock, that allows for better power-scaling sounds like a better solution to me, as it forces developers to make sure that the game plays well in handheld mode, basic console mode, and higher-TDP console mode, as a person might play the game in any of these settings. 

That's not likely to happen anymore. just looks at PS5 vs PS4 it's generation leap in power yet almost every game can be ported to ps4.

Yup.

Would be dificult to bring prices down in exclusively hibrid. I doubt a regular switch sucessor would be priced below 400$.

Ditching a screen, batteries, controllers that attach, constrains in design to be portable and etc would let them sell for 300$, and be more accessible.

Never a bad idea to have more options available.

Pemalite said:

They were great for the time, but it’s time to move on to bigger and better things.

I’m one of those that fucking loved the 3D and I agree with your post.

As a note, for anyone who loved old Sega games, those 3D  remasters with the parallax graphics were phenomenal. Although, 3DS overall was not the best execution or the best timing. I do think that 3D is going to be important in the future if AR/VR becomes the norm. But Nintendo might not go that route, that’s probably more an Apple/Google direction.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.