By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - LTTP: Super Mario Galaxy

SKMBlake said:
zeldaring said:

32 stars in and i ask myself why is this game so highly rated? It's a platformer built on a gimmicks. the controls are not really made for precise 3d platforming, and the platforming is weak so far. the levels are very linear with nothing worth exploring. the bosses basically provide little to no challenge and this is the highest rated game on the 7th gen lol. The story is not good. Donkey Kong tropical freeze is in a different league. it does have great music and great graphics considering the hardware.

I don't understand either, Super Mario Galaxy 2 is way better

yea i'm just gonna jump to that. hopefully its much better.

Around the Network

SMG is amazing.

zeldaring said:
JWeinCom said:

I'm not sure what gimmick means here. It's a mechanic. Which games should have. It's a weird complaint that there is always gravity. I don't know what you mean by good platforming. Or what your objection to the controls are. Really nothing you've said is any sort of meaningful or intelligible criticism. It's just saying X is bad or Y is bad without any real explanation. lets not even talk the levels that were focused on pointer controls and slinging mario which are just awful  

The only thing that's kind of valid is that the game is not very challenging, and aside from a few difficult stars, it's really not. But, this is a Mario game that's meant for people of all ages and skill levels, so that is kind of to be expected. If that's an issue, then Mario games are probably just not going to be your bag. Mario Galaxy 2 and Sunshine would probably be the best of them, but even those aren't all that challenging. I would probably advise you to stop playing it or other 3D Mario games. Spend your time on stuff you're going to enjoy.

when you think about the gravity and running arounds little spheres most of the game and then jumping into stars and watching mario fly going to another little sphere the whole game its really crap game design . Thats what i call a gimmick its fun for a little while. but its comes at the expense of better controls, gameplay/Platforming and camera angels, not to mention its super linear and repetitive.  if you think i'm the only one, you can watch many complain about the samething i'm complaining about

https://www.reddit.com/r/nintendo/comments/11q3lr7/flaws_with_super_mario_galaxy/

then the whole "random hole that KILLS YOU" and "oh but wait, you can fall down and go upside down over here and NOT DIE" is terrible level design. Like Nintendo was still clinging to old (deadly pits) while trying to do something new (space). And then they were like “OK we can SOLVE this broken confusing thing by telegraphing it with big flaming black hole” which then runs the aesthetics and highlights the stupidity of it instead of fixing it.

I can find many people online complaining about anything. I'm sure there is a group of people right now talking about how overrated getting blown by room full of beautiful women is. That being said, even in this thread particularly asking for flaws, the response is overwhelmingly positive, so if you're trying to make an argument from popularity here, which is a bad argument anyway, it's not working. 

If you boil any game down to it's core mechanics, chances are it's going to sound quite dull. Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze all you do is jump from platform to platform occasionally jumping on a tiki head. Boring linear and repetitive. In Arkham City you follow an objective marker to a place, fight some dudes, rinse, and repeat. Yawn. The devil is in the details as they say.

Not all the levels are designed in the planetoid format, but even where they are, each planetoid has a different challenge. For example, in the first level, you start by scaling a small tower, taking an optional break to chase a moving trail of music notes. You then have to collect 5 pieces of a launch star, while evading large rolling boulders. Fight your first Piranha plant, use his vine to propel you, cross the 3d equivalent of a rickety bridge, smack a Piranha plant with a weird rubbery plant, climb some steps, then fight a dinosaur plant by smacking his tail into him. 

Whether or not you find the activities the game throws at you fun is something that you can discuss, but to argue the game is repetitive is just plain objectively wrong. It's constantly throwing new stuff at you. Go look up a walkthrough video and find me 5 consecutive minutes of the game where you're just running around one sphere and launching to the next. I don't think you can. 

This is an example of backwards reasoning. The game's not clicking with you, which, is fine. But you're trying to then reason that the issue lies with the game and not just you're personal tastes. So you wind up saying kind of silly things, like that having black holes in a space themed game is ruining the aesthetic. 

JWeinCom said:
zeldaring said:

when you think about the gravity and running arounds little spheres most of the game and then jumping into stars and watching mario fly going to another little sphere the whole game its really crap game design . Thats what i call a gimmick its fun for a little while. but its comes at the expense of better controls, gameplay/Platforming and camera angels, not to mention its super linear and repetitive.  if you think i'm the only one, you can watch many complain about the samething i'm complaining about

https://www.reddit.com/r/nintendo/comments/11q3lr7/flaws_with_super_mario_galaxy/

then the whole "random hole that KILLS YOU" and "oh but wait, you can fall down and go upside down over here and NOT DIE" is terrible level design. Like Nintendo was still clinging to old (deadly pits) while trying to do something new (space). And then they were like “OK we can SOLVE this broken confusing thing by telegraphing it with big flaming black hole” which then runs the aesthetics and highlights the stupidity of it instead of fixing it.

I can find many people online complaining about anything. I'm sure there is a group of people right now talking about how overrated getting blown by room full of beautiful women is. That being said, even in this thread particularly asking for flaws, the response is overwhelmingly positive, so if you're trying to make an argument from popularity here, which is a bad argument anyway, it's not working. 

If you boil any game down to it's core mechanics, chances are it's going to sound quite dull. Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze all you do is jump from platform to platform occasionally jumping on a tiki head. Boring linear and repetitive. In Arkham City you follow an objective marker to a place, fight some dudes, rinse, and repeat. Yawn. The devil is in the details as they say.

Not all the levels are designed in the planetoid format, but even where they are, each planetoid has a different challenge. For example, in the first level, you start by scaling a small tower, taking an optional break to chase a moving trail of music notes. You then have to collect 5 pieces of a launch star, while evading large rolling boulders. Fight your first Piranha plant, use his vine to propel you, cross the 3d equivalent of a rickety bridge, smack a Piranha plant with a weird rubbery plant, climb some steps, then fight a dinosaur plant by smacking his tail into him. 

Whether or not you find the activities the game throws at you fun is something that you can discuss, but to argue the game is repetitive is just plain objectively wrong. It's constantly throwing new stuff at you. Go look up a walkthrough video and find me 5 consecutive minutes of the game where you're just running around one sphere and launching to the next. I don't think you can. 

This is an example of backwards reasoning. The game's not clicking with you, which, is fine. But you're trying to then reason that the issue lies with the game and not just you're personal tastes. So you wind up saying kind of silly things, like that having black holes in a space themed game is ruining the aesthetic. 

The gameplay loop is basically go to sphere collect things and fly to different sphere thats the majority of the game. then you have your occasional motions controls stuff that might have been cool for its time but now its just has not aged well. 

You mention donkey kong but that game has sublime controls, fast paced beautiful platforming that requires skill and hidden things through out the level. its your favorite game of all time and i'm not convince you. really though many think mario 64 controls and plays better and really just shows how badly designed mario galaxy is, that a game that came out as the first 3d mario on 25x less powerful hardware is a decade later is still the better game.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/631516-wii-u/66174899

zeldaring said:
JWeinCom said:

The gameplay loop is basically go to sphere collect things and fly to different sphere thats the majority of the game. then you have your occasional motions controls stuff that might have been cool for its time but now its just has not aged well. 

You mention donkey kong but that game has sublime controls, fast paced beautiful platforming that requires skill and hidden things through out the level. its your favorite game of all time and i'm not convince you. really though many think mario 64 controls and plays better and really just shows how badly designed mario galaxy is, that a game that came out as the first 3d mario on 25x less powerful hardware is a decade later is still the better game.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/631516-wii-u/66174899

I can be convinced, you're just doing a terrible job of being convincing. Simply repeating your opinion with no explanation isn't going to do it. Pointing to random threads on the internet won't do it, especially when Galaxy 1 and Galaxy 2 are going to split votes with eachother, and it's quite likely Galaxy would perform better in a head to head vote.

Which is all aside the point because Super Mario 64 is an absolutely fantastic game, and people preferring it to Galaxy has nothing to do with whether Galaxy is a quality game or not. If your argument is that any game not as good as Mario 64 is a bad game, then most games are bad.

And if games on better hardware should be automatically better, then why are you even playing this 15+ year old shit? Must be plenty of PS5 games out there. Doesn't make sense. Backwards reasoning is making you say really silly things.

Again, you had your reaction to the game, which you are entitled to, and are trying and failing to provide justification. You seem completely incapable of doing anything more than stating your opinion repeatedly. The important part, the part which may warrant actually making a thread about this, is explaining why. 

If you want to convince me, then show me five consecutive boring and repetitive minutes of jumping between planetoids. Go on. Should be very easy since that's the majority of the game.

Last edited by JWeinCom - on 27 May 2023

Around the Network

The only reason I clicked on this thread was because I thought someone had made a mashup of LTTP (Link to the Past) and Mario Galaxy, which would absolutely be amazing.

Instead I get another bad take from a new user trying to stir up controversy where they can.

Dang it!

I’m just going to go back to thinking about a Zelda/Mario crossover. Is it link to the Past with gravity elements? It is Mario Galaxy with Light and Dark world elements. Doesn’t matter, I’ll take both!

zeldaring said:
Wyrdness said:

Except 64 doesn’t have better level design as Galaxy levels are tied to platforming concepts using gravity something no platform game at the time did. For example the other platform games were simply jumping from platform to platform Galaxy turned that on it's head and made it about the player utilising the gravity physics to solve platforming puzzles. 

Yea cause those platforming puzzles are so good basically the same go around or upside down puzzle the whole game. much better then having a level design made for fast paced platforming and exploring with hidden things though out the level.

They are though considering the implementation and execution of what you're trying hard dismiss with out actually giving any concrete debate behind your view. For instance the upside down mechanic you're trying to write off opens up design approach in how a level is is navigated and laid out by changing up the gravity physics, regardless of how you slice it this objective even your camera control complaint makes no sense as Galaxy didn't need it you have full view what you need to see at all times you're going to have to explain why this would be needed as it doesn't fit the games design it's like complaining a fps doesn’t have a third person camera view it's not really needed.

Not liking a game is one thing making complaints that are very null and void is another especially the controls complaint as Galaxy has the most straight forward controls of any Wii game. So rather than saying something isn't good it's time for you to start elaborating on your views. 

If you dont really enjoy it, then play something else. Super Mario Odyssey is more like Mario 64.

Wyrdness said:
zeldaring said:

Yea cause those platforming puzzles are so good basically the same go around or upside down puzzle the whole game. much better then having a level design made for fast paced platforming and exploring with hidden things though out the level.

They are though considering the implementation and execution of what you're trying hard dismiss with out actually giving any concrete debate behind your view. For instance the upside down mechanic you're trying to write off opens up design approach in how a level is is navigated and laid out by changing up the gravity physics, regardless of how you slice it this objective even your camera control complaint makes no sense as Galaxy didn't need it you have full view what you need to see at all times you're going to have to explain why this would be needed as it doesn't fit the games design it's like complaining a fps doesn’t have a third person camera view it's not really needed.

Not liking a game is one thing making complaints that are very null and void is another especially the controls complaint as Galaxy has the most straight forward controls of any Wii game. So rather than saying something isn't good it's time for you to start elaborating on your views. 

Sometimes the direction you need to press on the control stick to keep running in the same direction changes when you're running around a planet, and this can get pretty annoying. I also find the camera angles annoying especially in the water levels. the game requires very little skill as well. mario is just super floaty and not as responsive as say something like mario odyssey or astrobot. anyway everyone is gonna have a different experience and being that its mario the nostalgia is gonna be strong.  

KLXVER said:

If you dont really enjoy it, then play something else. Super Mario Odyssey is more like Mario 64.

yea i wanna play that but most people say its brain dead  easy till the he end game and it has 900 moons which seem like way too much bloat for me. i'm gonna give a try though