By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - LTTP: Super Mario Galaxy

To each their own. I thought it was perfect. Level design and the gravity made it feel 4D.

Around the Network
zeldaring said:
Slownenberg said:

Gotta be the first time I've ever heard someone not loving Galaxy, let alone not even liking it lol. It's highly rated because everyone else thinks it is a fantastic game.

But hey not every game is for everyone. I find the GTA games boring, yet that's pretty much the most popular series in gaming haha.

But yea, Galaxy is an absolute gem (for 99% of people).

I don't hate it. it just  nothing special. it's repetitive as heck. most levels look the same. the design just doesn't make for good platforming and camera is horrible. 

Repetitive? Most levels look the same? Horrible camera? These are complaints I've never heard about mario galaxy. 

pikashoe said:
zeldaring said:

I don't hate it. it just  nothing special. it's repetitive as heck. most levels look the same. the design just doesn't make for good platforming and camera is horrible. 

Repetitive? Most levels look the same? Horrible camera? These are complaints I've never heard about mario galaxy. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fvx5sFMEX9g&t=2s

I'm just not seeing where this game excels. running around the galaxy is a cool gimmick but its not something a whole game should be designed on. linear levels which i don't have problem with if they were designed with some great platforming in mind instead of just the gravity gimmick, sling shots and stupid wii mote pointer crap 

Last edited by zeldaring - on 27 May 2023

It's so highly rated because of the context of its time. Namely, PS and Xbox games were quite lame across the board.

The only complaint I have for Super Mario Galaxy is that it lacks online leaderboards.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV will outsell Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I was wrong.

RolStoppable said:

It's so highly rated because of the context of its time. Namely, PS and Xbox games were quite lame across the board.

The only complaint I have for Super Mario Galaxy is that it lacks online leaderboards.

I thought about  that, but nope. donkey kong returns is far better platfomer. last us pushed the envelope for graphics and story in games. skyrim pushed the envelope for open world games. batman arkham city was just mind blowing. honestly maybe it's cause of the motion controls and  gravity none sense. really mario 64 controlling better and having better level design makes no sense since it was the first 3d mario released like 10 years earlier

Around the Network
zeldaring said:
RolStoppable said:

I thought about  that, but nope. donkey kong returns is far better platfomer. last us pushed the envelope for graphics and story in games. skyrim pushed the envelope for open world games. batman arkham city was just mind blowing. honestly maybe it's cause of the motion controls and  gravity none sense. really mario 64 controlling better and having better level design makes no sense since it was the first 3d mario released like 10 years earlier

Except 64 doesn’t have better level design as Galaxy levels are tied to platforming concepts using gravity something no platform game at the time did. For example the other platform games were simply jumping from platform to platform Galaxy turned that on it's head and made it about the player utilising the gravity physics to solve platforming puzzles. 

zeldaring said:
JWeinCom said:

I think the gravity mechanic worked well, and the controls were fine. I think Mario 64 controls great except for the camera which isn't really an issue here and the spin move allows you to adjust just enough (as opposed to the hovering mechanic in Sunshine). I don't know how you can say there is little platforming when pretty much the whole game is jumping from thing to thing. Unless you take platform in a super literal sense where you actually have to be jumping onto a literal platform. Even then I feel there's quite a bit of that. I'm not sure what you feel you've been doing if not platforming.

But, if you don't like it so far, I would guess you probably won't. Especially if you have already sampled a wide variety of the levels. There's a chance you would like Galaxy 2 more as it is more challenging. Or if you just don't like the linearity, Odyssey might suit you better.

its a 7 out of 10. the gravity mechanic is a gimmick  good for a few levels but building the game around is very repetitive and annoying. when i say good platforming i'm talking about something like donkey kong tropical freeze where the controls are perfections and platforming requires skill so far very little in that with this game. the game control are just not that great.  I'm watching Odyssey that looks much better gameplay wise but i hear you have to go through 30 hours of collecting moons before you get a challenge   

I'm not sure what gimmick means here. It's a mechanic. Which games should have. It's a weird complaint that there is always gravity. I don't know what you mean by good platforming. Or what your objection to the controls are. Really nothing you've said is any sort of meaningful or intelligible criticism. It's just saying X is bad or Y is bad without any real explanation. 

The only thing that's kind of valid is that the game is not very challenging, and aside from a few difficult stars, it's really not. But, this is a Mario game that's meant for people of all ages and skill levels, so that is kind of to be expected. If that's an issue, then Mario games are probably just not going to be your bag. Mario Galaxy 2 and Sunshine would probably be the best of them, but even those aren't all that challenging. I would probably advise you to stop playing it or other 3D Mario games. Spend your time on stuff you're going to enjoy.

JWeinCom said:
zeldaring said:

its a 7 out of 10. the gravity mechanic is a gimmick  good for a few levels but building the game around is very repetitive and annoying. when i say good platforming i'm talking about something like donkey kong tropical freeze where the controls are perfections and platforming requires skill so far very little in that with this game. the game control are just not that great.  I'm watching Odyssey that looks much better gameplay wise but i hear you have to go through 30 hours of collecting moons before you get a challenge   

I'm not sure what gimmick means here. It's a mechanic. Which games should have. It's a weird complaint that there is always gravity. I don't know what you mean by good platforming. Or what your objection to the controls are. Really nothing you've said is any sort of meaningful or intelligible criticism. It's just saying X is bad or Y is bad without any real explanation. lets not even talk the levels that were focused on pointer controls and slinging mario which are just awful  

The only thing that's kind of valid is that the game is not very challenging, and aside from a few difficult stars, it's really not. But, this is a Mario game that's meant for people of all ages and skill levels, so that is kind of to be expected. If that's an issue, then Mario games are probably just not going to be your bag. Mario Galaxy 2 and Sunshine would probably be the best of them, but even those aren't all that challenging. I would probably advise you to stop playing it or other 3D Mario games. Spend your time on stuff you're going to enjoy.

when you think about the gravity and running arounds little spheres most of the game and then jumping into stars and watching mario fly going to another little sphere the whole game its really crap game design . Thats what i call a gimmick its fun for a little while. but its comes at the expense of better controls, gameplay/Platforming and camera angels, not to mention its super linear and repetitive.  if you think i'm the only one, you can watch many complain about the samething i'm complaining about

https://www.reddit.com/r/nintendo/comments/11q3lr7/flaws_with_super_mario_galaxy/

then the whole "random hole that KILLS YOU" and "oh but wait, you can fall down and go upside down over here and NOT DIE" is terrible level design. Like Nintendo was still clinging to old (deadly pits) while trying to do something new (space). And then they were like “OK we can SOLVE this broken confusing thing by telegraphing it with big flaming black hole” which then runs the aesthetics and highlights the stupidity of it instead of fixing it.

zeldaring said:

32 stars in and i ask myself why is this game so highly rated? It's a platformer built on a gimmicks. the controls are not really made for precise 3d platforming, and the platforming is weak so far. the levels are very linear with nothing worth exploring. the bosses basically provide little to no challenge and this is the highest rated game on the 7th gen lol. The story is not good. Donkey Kong tropical freeze is in a different league. it does have great music and great graphics considering the hardware.

I don't understand either, Super Mario Galaxy 2 is way better

Wyrdness said:
zeldaring said:

Except 64 doesn’t have better level design as Galaxy levels are tied to platforming concepts using gravity something no platform game at the time did. For example the other platform games were simply jumping from platform to platform Galaxy turned that on it's head and made it about the player utilising the gravity physics to solve platforming puzzles. 

Yea cause those platforming puzzles are so good basically the same go around or upside down puzzle the whole game. much better then having a level design made for fast paced platforming and exploring with hidden things though out the level.