By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - LTTP: Super Mario Galaxy

zeldaring said:

Go play the game again it's anything but brilliant. You want brilliant level design play bloodborn, sekiro, link to the past and dark souls 3.

You always pull the same games out as positive examples for anything. Do you even enjoy any other games?

I have played Super Mario Galaxy at least a dozen times and 100% finished it every time. Last time was last year. Playing it again would have the same effect as last time: I'd have a ton of fun and think it's brilliant and one of my favorite games ever.

Around the Network
zeldaring said:
GoOnKid said:

Dude, what do you want from us? Do you seek validation? Do you want attention? Do you want to spread nonsense? Whenever people tell you where you're wrong you just ignore it and repeat your same old stuff. Is there anything else you can do with your free time?

lol everything i said was mostly facts. I haven't seen anyone prove me wrong.

game has very little challenge 

exploration is none existent and super linear

camera is wonky and many have complained about it

controls are inferior to mario 64 and not made for precise 3d platforming  cause if the gravity theme

And here you go again pretending like your opinion is fact and "many" agree.

Wyrdness said:
zeldaring said:

The Last of Us was a revolutionary turning point for story-driven cinematic experience type video games thats not really debatable 

Skyrim was basically BOTW on 360 for its time.

batman arkham city nothing was like it when it came out. 

TLOU is not revolutionary it just did what other games did better for example Uncharted 2 already did what TLOU was doing and set the bar, Skyrim was a good open world yes but Oblivion and Morrowind already brought the foundation it used Skyrim just executed it better. Even with AC the are games like Spiderman that heavily pre-date it back on the PS1, AC just executed it better with a different character.

By this logic Mario 3 is not revolutionary. when the step up is so massive it can be considered revolutionary.  

And Super Mario Galaxy isn't even the highest rated 7th gen game. GTA IV is.

zeldaring said:
Wyrdness said:

TLOU is not revolutionary it just did what other games did better for example Uncharted 2 already did what TLOU was doing and set the bar, Skyrim was a good open world yes but Oblivion and Morrowind already brought the foundation it used Skyrim just executed it better. Even with AC the are games like Spiderman that heavily pre-date it back on the PS1, AC just executed it better with a different character.

By this logic Mario 3 is not revolutionary. when the step up is so massive it can be considered revolutionary.  

Except Mario 3 has objective differences we can highlight for example an interactive world map for levels that even had secrets plus a significant amount of which allow different paths, a significant amount of expanded and new concepts and mechanics.

Now let's look at Uncharted 2 and TLOU outside of setting what does the latter really do of its own? If anything this isn't Mario to Mario 3 it's more more Mario 3 to Mario World, the latter being the better game but just does what the predecessor did only better but better doesn't always translate to being revolutionary. 

Around the Network
Kakadu18 said:
zeldaring said:

Go play the game again it's anything but brilliant. You want brilliant level design play bloodborn, sekiro, link to the past and dark souls 3.

You always pull the same games out as positive examples for anything. Do you even enjoy any other games?

I have played Super Mario Galaxy at least a dozen times and 100% finished it every time. Last time was last year. Playing it again would have the same effect as last time: I'd have a ton of fun and think it's brilliant and one of my favorite games ever.

I enjoy tons of games.  I'm just naming the best cause this is basically the highest rated games on on Metracritic, and kinda shocked how bad it is for me. almost every game that rated  94 and over t turns out be at least   8.5 for me. MGS5 is 10 for me. BOTW was great, tropical freeze, GOW, ghosts of tsushima, spiderman, and batman are also games i really enjoy. last of us the first is one of the best stories i experienced in a game. off the top of my head.

Wyrdness said:
zeldaring said:

Except Mario 3 has objective differences we can highlight for example an interactive world map for levels that even had secrets plus a significant amount of which allow different paths, a significant amount of expanded and new concepts and mechanics.

Now let's look at Uncharted 2 and TLOU outside of setting what does the latter really do of its own? If anything this isn't Mario to Mario 3 it's more more Mario 3 to Mario World, the latter being the better game but just does what the predecessor did only better but better doesn't always translate to being revolutionary. 

I would say it revolutionized character based emotion driven story telling as opposed to situation driven story telling. as for skyrim and batman arhkam are actually a bigger jump then mario to mario 3 imo

The game is very well made and Nintendo's black magic on such limited hardware. I could not get into the game myself but unlike Sunshine which is just not very good, Galaxy was very well thought out. Looked amazing and played great. The gravity physics was impressive. I think I was just worn out on Mario by then. I came back for 3D world and Odyssey. I liked those.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

zeldaring said:
sundin13 said:

Ease of a game is not in and of itself a criticism. I've played a lot of great easy games and a lot of terrible hard games. 

Linearity is also not inherently a bad thing. I tend to prefer platformers that have a tight, linear level design focused on platforming and the challenges that are presented to you, as opposed to the more exploration heavy 3D platformers which I find to be less engaging and have more down time. 

The others are all opinions. 

A game tha requires a little to no skill is not a good thing for me. its bad gameplay imo

GoOnKid said:

Dude, what do you want from us? Do you seek validation? Do you want attention? Do you want to spread nonsense? Whenever people tell you where you're wrong you just ignore it and repeat your same old stuff. Is there anything else you can do with your free time?

Clearly not capable of rational discourse.

So, instead, what's your favorite part of Mario Galaxy?

Personally I like the airship levels the best. Mario 3 was my childhood favorite, so it was a nice bit of nostalgia.

I also love the ice levels. Is there any real reason that walking on water as ice Mario should be more fun than just walking on dry land? Nope. Is it though? Yes.

And the music. Just all of it.