By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Microsoft gives market share against PlayStation

Wman1996 said:

I wonder why North America isn't in there. That's the most even battleground. I'd imagine when including this gen and last, it's probably about 60/40.

Because the point they are making is we are getting brutally slaughtered and we can't do anything about that unless we can buy Actibliz

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Around the Network

Why are they only talking about console market shares? Game Pass is on PC as well. So how about those PC market shares?
And if Microsoft is a saint that only wants their games on as many platforms as possible, how about them Bethesda games then?

Dante9 said:

Why are they only talking about console market shares? Game Pass is on PC as well. So how about those PC market shares?
And if Microsoft is a saint that only wants their games on as many platforms as possible, how about them Bethesda games then?

It's probably significantly lower than their console market share actually. Steam exists, and is easily #1. Epic are probably ahead of MS on PC from Fortnite alone. I wouldn't be surprised if GOG were ahead of them too.

Zippy6 said:

Microsoft has given market share figures against PlayStation:

Now they don't explicitly state what these figures represent but by looking at the Japanese sales numbers from Famitsu and the market share percentages Microsoft disclosed we can infer it represents console install-base for XBO+XSX vs PS4+PS5.

It's like having grades in clouds or suns form, doesn't really say much

Ka-pi96 said:

Ah yes, the classic forgetting that Nintendo exists.

That's partly Nintendo's fault. From Wii onward with their home consoles, they've talked about the Blue Ocean Strategy. 

Interesting enough, GameCube was ahead of Xbox globally for a time. But I think that changed with Halo 2's release. And globally, the Xbox only outsold the GameCube by about 3 million. 

Despite Xbox's failure in Japan, I'm pretty sure they were smug that they outsold Nintendo on their first try. But that only happened again if you compare the Xbox One to the Wii U. 

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Around the Network
Wman1996 said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Ah yes, the classic forgetting that Nintendo exists.

That's partly Nintendo's fault. From Wii onward with their home consoles, they've talked about the Blue Ocean Strategy. 

Interesting enough, GameCube was ahead of Xbox globally for a time. But I think that changed with Halo 2's release. And globally, the Xbox only outsold the GameCube by about 3 million. 

Despite Xbox's failure in Japan, I'm pretty sure they were smug that they outsold Nintendo on their first try. But that only happened again if you compare the Xbox One to the Wii U. 

I'd say this is also partly due to he fact that Microsoft and Nintendo have a cordial relationship in many aspects more than they do with Sony. They don't have problem to port some of their games to the system, they just stroke a deal for the coming back of COD on Nintendo consoles(if the Activision/Blizzard deal comes through).

They act in the same space but they just don't see themselves as actively competing agai st each other. Moreso a cooperation.

Ironically, if Microsoft were to include Nintendo's share in the graph, it'd might actually make their plea way more compelling because the ratio for the Xbox would get easily trounced by Nintendo + Sony presence lol

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Mar1217 said:

Ironically, if Microsoft were to include Nintendo's share in the graph, it'd might actually make their plea way more compelling because the ratio for the Xbox would get easily trounced by Nintendo + Sony presence lol

Yes but would also reduce Sony's market share (148 million consoles vs 122 million) so it would look like pretty balanced

The U.S. PS5/XBS split as of this past November was 54% PS5, 46% XBS. Essentially identical to the PS4/XBO split as of the end of 2020.

While several factors make it hard to tell if things will change over the next several years, so far this generation is not all that dissimilar from last gen when it comes to the overall balance between PlayStation & Xbox, with things still being competitive in the U.S. & UK (though PS with an overall lead) and the PS5 far outpacing Xbox in Japan & continental Europe (though Xbox has had substantial gen-over-gen growth in Japan despite its still-distance third place)

Visit http://shadowofthevoid.wordpress.com

In accordance to the VGC forum rules, §8.5, I hereby exercise my right to demand to be left alone regarding the subject of the effects of the pandemic on video game sales (i.e., "COVID bump").

I don't understand this

"Smith: Sony says Call of Duty is a must-have product, but that 'must have title' was only available on 120 million devices. And if this deal goes through, it'll be available on 150 million more devices."

I dont understand where this 120 million data comes from, Call of Duty is available on PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X and S and PC, that's way more than 120 million

Whoaaaaa, haven't been here in a while but this topic really caught my attention.
I actually haven't been following sales data and haven't been caring about this stuff anymore. Until this topic, that is.

All I can say about this matter is....Microsoft is just wreaking of desperation now. I've said it before and I'll say it again...gaming market would have been better if Microsoft just never entered the console market. They are only here BECAUSE of Sony and now they just so desperately wanna beat them. Ever since PS1, MS was just envious about what SOny has created with the PlayStation brand. The all-in-one entertainment centre.
Sorry to say this, but brand recognition is everything and everyone knows it. PlaySTATION - the one place for all your entertainment needs. Sony was first and they deserve to be #1. Microsoft, in my eyes, will forever be the follower and imitator.

It may be a little bit better in the US ONLY because America is loyal to American brands....but Europe knows better. :)
Japan is very much like America...loyal to their Japanese brands. And when PS was more American branded, they turned more to Nintendo for all their gaming needs.

It truly makes me wonder what would happen if ever there was to be a EUROPEAN-branded console. But I guess that's kinda more difficult to determine, because of the EUROPEAN UNION. It's a combined culmination of all the European countries.

In the end, it's funny now that Microsoft has to BUY OUT companies that were already on PlayStation all along in order to steal an audience from the PlayStation brand.
In comparison, this would be like Sony buying out EA and there would no longer be any FIFA or MADDEN games on the Xbox. This is just screaming desperation. The companies that fell under the Sony umbrella were forever Sony owned companies from day one, like Naughty Dog, Santa Monica, Guerilla and Liverpool Studios to name just a few.