By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Microsoft gives market share against PlayStation

Wman1996 said:

I wonder why North America isn't in there. That's the most even battleground. I'd imagine when including this gen and last, it's probably about 60/40.

But if you use Microsoft's way to round up numbers, it'd prolly give you about 70-30 

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Around the Network

Before:

"Consoles sales aren't important. If we wanted to sell more consoles we wouldn't be putting our games everywhere. We're beating PS in other areas."

"Japan is our fastest growing region!!!"

"LOL Sony and Nintendo aren't our competition."

After:

"We getting slayed! Console sales are incredibly important that we're going to count last gen consoles + Vita to show you just how bad the slayage is!"

"We're being beaten on every relevant metric!"

"Our $7.5 billion Zenimax acquisition was pointless bruh, (please don't wait for the results to actually materliaze!). So it follows that when we acquire ABK and it also proves pointless due to no exclusives, we're going to use Sony's market dominance once again as a pretext to gobble up the whole fucking world. Let us have competition!"

"Microsoft has 58 games already running on PlayStation, Sony only has 2 running on Xbox. We've said that if this acquisition goes through, we're happy to make sure that there's a #59 with Call of Duty and no doubt others."

To get there they are counting the games that were already on the Playstation when they bought out the studio. Yet by that same logic they are forgetting SSO - and hilarious by all nature: Halo 1-3. Oh and destiny etc.

Their PR is just pathetic. It is fake news at its worst. This is stuff I expected to see at the bottom of the barrel fanboy sites.

You are bound to love Earthbound.

Bandorr said:

"Microsoft has 58 games already running on PlayStation, Sony only has 2 running on Xbox. We've said that if this acquisition goes through, we're happy to make sure that there's a #59 with Call of Duty and no doubt others."

To get there they are counting the games that were already on the Playstation when they bought out the studio. Yet by that same logic they are forgetting SSO - and hilarious by all nature: Halo 1-3. Oh and destiny etc.

Their PR is just pathetic. It is fake news at its worst. This is stuff I expected to see at the bottom of the barrel fanboy sites.

Makes me wonder as to whom fact checks these claims cuz I'm almost sure no one at the hearing is just straight up believing them on such claims

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Machina and I have been going through the data and our "European Economic Area" data, which is what the 80/20 split is for and we match that for PS5+PS4 vs XS+X1. Our Japan data is fine and our US data matches NPD figures.

One thing though about Brad Smith's quote is that he stated "Globally, it is about 70/30." Keyword being about and using Microsoft's figures for 2021 would mean Xbox only shipped ~1.69 million in 2022. So it is more likely 68/32. 

Onto data that does mean some adjustments for our 2022 estimates. Brad Smith said the split was 69/31 towards the end of last year. That has to at least mean December sales split and maybe the entire holiday quarter. This does mean Xbox Series will be adjusted down a bit and PS5 up a bit in December. Our sales in the USA, Europe, and Japan should be good. So adjustments will take place in other parts of the world that we get the least amount of data from. Asia, MEA, Oceania, etc. 

Last edited by trunkswd - on 21 February 2023

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network

Ah yes, the classic forgetting that Nintendo exists.

Jez says 75:25.

Oneeee-Chan!!! said:

Jez says 75:25.

The direct quote from Brad Smith: "Think about the market in Europe. It is a market where Sony has an 80% share. Globally, it is about 70/30. In Japan, it is 96/4. These numbers have been remarkably steady for two decades. Even last year, when there were issues with Sony's supply chain, they came back strong."

Link to the quote: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/live-microsofts-activision-blizzard-press-conference-in-brussels

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

I feel bad for MS. Just look at their tiny Windows 11 market share. How will they ever compete with the other OS's, let alone PS?

Last edited by ConservagameR - on 22 February 2023

ConservagameR said:

I feel bad for MS. Just look at their tiny Windows 11 market share. How will they ever compete with the other OS's, let alone PS?

I feel bad as a consumer that MS has such a large marketshare for Windows 11 despite how bad it is! Doesn't deserve anywhere near 16%!