By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Microsoft gives market share against PlayStation

trunkswd said:

Looks like Microsoft used IDG as the source of the data. 

Don't know much about IDG, but considering this is designed to make Xbox look as weak as possible compared to PlayStation it wouldn't surprise me if this was rounded down to maximise that. Didn't realise the numbers were basically just being used for posters like this essentially as propaganda to push the deal through lol. 

So it wouldn't be surprising if that 20% was actually 24.9%. Man, I Just want some concrete numbers for a change.

Around the Network
Zippy6 said:
trunkswd said:

Looks like Microsoft used IDG as the source of the data. 

Don't know much about IDG, but considering this is designed to make Xbox look as weak as possible compared to PlayStation it wouldn't surprise me if this was rounded down to maximise that. Didn't realise the numbers were basically just being used for posters like this essentially as propaganda to push the deal through lol. 

So it wouldn't be surprising if that 20% was actually 24.9%. Man, I Just want some concrete numbers for a change.

I would LOVE to get concrete sales data from Microsoft as it would help get our estimates to be more accurate for Xbox. And I agree it impossible to know the amount of rounding in said data. Nintendo provides the most data as they breakdown their shipment figures into Americas, Europe, Japan, and others.

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Microsoft is including PS vita sales for some reason, they should be just focused on Xbox One vs PS4. Even that is outdated information though, since Xbox One didn't include it's newer purchases like Bethesda, Ninja Theory, Obsidian etc factored into the success of that console. These new companies are already helping change the percentages this generation with Xbox Series having about 40% of the total sales between Xbox Series/PS5. Microsoft's point is still valid by saying Playstation has the bigger market share, but use correct information, don't try to get cute with it to look as weak as possible.

edit:

Okay I admit I'm confused by the chart. Who's chart is that? Did Microsoft make that chart?

Last edited by Bandorr - on 21 February 2023

You are bound to love Earthbound.

One thing Machina pointed out to me. The 80/20 Europe split is actually for the "European Economic Area." This does NOT include UK sales and some other Europe markets. The UK is by far the best market for Xbox in Europe. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Economic_Area

Last edited by trunkswd - on 21 February 2023

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network
Bandorr said:

edit:

Okay I admit I'm confused by the chart. Who's chart is that? Did Microsoft make that chart?

The chart tweeted by Tom Warren was shown by Microsoft during a press briefing. Plus the data is for just "European Economic Area." This does not include UK and some other Europe markets.

In other words, "we suck at what we do, let us buy our way into victory". I have never seen an executive working hard to prove they've been horrible at their job

LurkerJ said:

In other words, "we suck at what we do, let us buy our way into victory". I have never seen an executive working hard to prove they've been horrible at their job

Then you haven't seen the executive saying Sony turning The Last Of Us into a good TV show is proof that Microsoft should be allowed to buy whatever they want.

You are bound to love Earthbound.

How much more sweet eye begging are we gonna witness from them before we simply this charade one way or the other. It's not like Activision/Blizzard is getting better by the second seeing as though part of Blizzard is going in flames once again.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

I wonder why North America isn't in there. That's the most even battleground. I'd imagine when including this gen and last, it's probably about 60/40.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima