By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Microsoft gives market share against PlayStation

StreaK said:

Whoaaaaa, haven't been here in a while but this topic really caught my attention.
I actually haven't been following sales data and haven't been caring about this stuff anymore. Until this topic, that is.

All I can say about this matter is....Microsoft is just wreaking of desperation now. I've said it before and I'll say it again...gaming market would have been better if Microsoft just never entered the console market. They are only here BECAUSE of Sony and now they just so desperately wanna beat them. Ever since PS1, MS was just envious about what SOny has created with the PlayStation brand. The all-in-one entertainment centre.
Sorry to say this, but brand recognition is everything and everyone knows it. PlaySTATION - the one place for all your entertainment needs. Sony was first and they deserve to be #1. Microsoft, in my eyes, will forever be the follower and imitator.

It may be a little bit better in the US ONLY because America is loyal to American brands....but Europe knows better. :)
Japan is very much like America...loyal to their Japanese brands. And when PS was more American branded, they turned more to Nintendo for all their gaming needs.

It truly makes me wonder what would happen if ever there was to be a EUROPEAN-branded console. But I guess that's kinda more difficult to determine, because of the EUROPEAN UNION. It's a combined culmination of all the European countries.

In the end, it's funny now that Microsoft has to BUY OUT companies that were already on PlayStation all along in order to steal an audience from the PlayStation brand.
In comparison, this would be like Sony buying out EA and there would no longer be any FIFA or MADDEN games on the Xbox. This is just screaming desperation. The companies that fell under the Sony umbrella were forever Sony owned companies from day one, like Naughty Dog, Santa Monica, Guerilla and Liverpool Studios to name just a few.

Meh, if you're going to play that game you can easily say Sony wouldn't be shit if they didn't get Nintendo's 3rd party support (Squaresoft, Capcom, Konami, Namco, etc.). With just their 1st party games, Sony would've lost and lost badly to Nintendo if Nintendo retained their 3rd party dominance. 

Sony relies on 3rd party deals to stay on top why else are they raising such a stink about this, because they know if they lose COD their 1st party titles wouldn't be able to cover it. 

Most people buy a PS/XBox first and foremost for the 3rd party staples (COD, GTA, Madden, FIFA, etc.), the 1st party stuff Sony and MS offer is only secondary to that. 

Around the Network
Kyuu said:

Before:

"Consoles sales aren't important. If we wanted to sell more consoles we wouldn't be putting our games everywhere. We're beating PS in other areas."

"Japan is our fastest growing region!!!"

"LOL Sony and Nintendo aren't our competition."

After:

"We getting slayed! Console sales are incredibly important that we're going to count last gen consoles + Vita to show you just how bad the slayage is!"

"We're being beaten on every relevant metric!"

"Our $7.5 billion Zenimax acquisition was pointless bruh, (please don't wait for the results to actually materliaze!). So it follows that when we acquire ABK and it also proves pointless due to no exclusives, we're going to use Sony's market dominance once again as a pretext to gobble up the whole fucking world. Let us have competition!"

Ha made me laugh, but you also brought up some valid points. I’ve never seen a company as large as MSFT act like so much of a helpless victim. It really is ridiculous.

Also, them using combined ps4/5 sales is BS imo. Ps4 is no longer relevant. MSFT has absolutely gained market share this gen. But it’s all about perfectly fitting their narrative of looking as small and pitiful as possible. 

Last edited by pitzy272 - on 23 February 2023

Some people on this site like to rag on Jim Ryan for his "crying" as they say but the guy hasn't really said much publicly in quite awhile. It's all PR BS week after week and month after month from MS. They have been whining for quite some time now and it's honestly quite embarrassing and cringe worthy. These market share graphs are just another example of that.
Some of these companies should be trying to hire Jim Ryan. It's because of him all these companies are getting 10 year deals for this situation. Before that, it was just here's another 3 years for Sony and nothing for anyone else. The 2 trillion dollar company who is use to just buying anything they please is now trying to play a victim. I am glad they have to fight so hard for this one. It's nice to watch someone finally stand up to MS.

Is Microsoft admitting they’re dog shit, when it comes to the dedicated video game industry, their way of demonstrating why they should be permitted to use their outside funds to swallow it up?

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Shadow1980 said:

The U.S. PS5/XBS split as of this past November was 54% PS5, 46% XBS. Essentially identical to the PS4/XBO split as of the end of 2020.

While several factors make it hard to tell if things will change over the next several years, so far this generation is not all that dissimilar from last gen when it comes to the overall balance between PlayStation & Xbox, with things still being competitive in the U.S. & UK (though PS with an overall lead) and the PS5 far outpacing Xbox in Japan & continental Europe (though Xbox has had substantial gen-over-gen growth in Japan despite its still-distance third place)

It's nothing like the PS4 vs X1 US development though. PS5 dominated Series XS in the last few months where supply improved, significantly increasing its lead, and this is obviously continuing into 2023. People are conflating Microsoft's poor market analogy with COVID restricting sales. The pandemic for the most part benefited Xbox and hurt Playstation as far as hardware sales.

Series X's limited supply has less to do with COVID and more with Microsoft misreading the market and positioning the console as a limited enthusiast device. Xbox Series X by design is very difficult/expensive to be manufactured in high quantities, and Series S existing further and considerably restricts the production capacity, because they share parts.

When Phil said he expects Series S to have greater demand than the "more core gamer focused" X in the long run, he pretty much implied right at the start of the generation that Series X production may be relatively limited throughout the generation. We're over 2 years into the gen now and yet Microsoft forecasts a decline in Xbox revenue for this quarter despite the price hike in some markets, which suggests that Series X production will barely improve anytime soon.

Considering that MS is releasing everything on PC day 1, Xbox is imo doing well, but the only thing that could keep it close to PS5's level (in the US) is if those acquisitions bear fruit. Starfield will be the first real test.

SKMBlake said:

I don't understand this

"Smith: Sony says Call of Duty is a must-have product, but that 'must have title' was only available on 120 million devices. And if this deal goes through, it'll be available on 150 million more devices."

I dont understand where this 120 million data comes from, Call of Duty is available on PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X and S and PC, that's way more than 120 million

It's quite simple: Smith, like the rest of the crew, is a clown.

pitzy272 said:
Kyuu said:

Before:

"Consoles sales aren't important. If we wanted to sell more consoles we wouldn't be putting our games everywhere. We're beating PS in other areas."

"Japan is our fastest growing region!!!"

"LOL Sony and Nintendo aren't our competition."

After:

"We getting slayed! Console sales are incredibly important that we're going to count last gen consoles + Vita to show you just how bad the slayage is!"

"We're being beaten on every relevant metric!"

"Our $7.5 billion Zenimax acquisition was pointless bruh, (please don't wait for the results to actually materliaze!). So it follows that when we acquire ABK and it also proves pointless due to no exclusives, we're going to use Sony's market dominance once again as a pretext to gobble up the whole fucking world. Let us have competition!"

Ha made me laugh, but you also brought up some valid points. I’ve never seen a company as large as MSFT act like so much of a helpless victim. It really is ridiculous.

Also, them using combined ps4/5 sales is ridiculous imo. Ps4 is no longer relevant. MSFT has absolutely gained market share this gen. But it’s all about perfectly fitting their narrative of looking as small and pitiful as possible. 

Well MS probably know that the current "closeness" is artificial, so it makes sense for them to mention last generation numbers (even though Sony earned it) to draw a clearer picture. But you can't help but laugh at it in the context of what was said before.

Around the Network

Xbox is a dead brand on its last leg, nothing will save them. The last gen where xb were somewhat successful was when Sony effed up, for XB to succeed PS have to eff up.

StreaK said:

In the end, it's funny now that Microsoft has to BUY OUT companies that were already on PlayStation all along in order to steal an audience from the PlayStation brand.
In comparison, this would be like Sony buying out EA and there would no longer be any FIFA or MADDEN games on the Xbox. This is just screaming desperation. The companies that fell under the Sony umbrella were forever Sony owned companies from day one, like Naughty Dog, Santa Monica, Guerilla and Liverpool Studios to name just a few.

Naughty Dog: "Founded by Andy Gavin and Jason Rubin in 1984" "acquired by Sony Computer Entertainment in 2001"

Guerrilla: "The company was founded as Lost Boys Games in January 2000" "purchased by Sony Interactive Entertainment in 2005"

Liverpool Studios: "Founded in 1984" "In 1993, it became a wholly owned subsidiary of Sony Computer Entertainment"

Congrats, 3/4 of the studios you listed Sony had to BUY OUT. Only 1/4 was "forever Sony owned".

Last edited by Ka-pi96 - on 23 February 2023

Ka-pi96 said:
StreaK said:

Naughty Dog: "Founded by Andy Gavin and Jason Rubin in 1984" "acquired by Sony Computer Entertainment in 2001"

Guerrilla: "The company was founded as Lost Boys Games in January 2000" "purchased by Sony Interactive Entertainment in 2005"

Liverpool Studios: "Founded in 1984" "In 1993, it became a wholly owned subsidiary of Sony Computer Entertainment"

Congrats, 3/4 of the studios you listed Sony had to BUY OUT. Only 1/4 was "forever Sony owned".

That 75/25, close to MS's market share. We circle back

The amount of number torturing MS puts into this, which plays well with they always avoiding to give numbers whenever they can. That post regarding Monthly Service Provided in Europe really put them on a low opposite to the claims of Gamepass success.

Sony could show Europe during X360 days having about 50/50, and globally it was same split as well. Sony didn't buy any major publisher since that time, MS bought a lot more devs and bought a publisher and still dropped major time. Which shows that buying ABK isn't needed (well they can even go Wii - WiiU - Switch to show how much success can change based on your strategy without the need to make major purchases).

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Bandorr said:

"Microsoft has 58 games already running on PlayStation, Sony only has 2 running on Xbox. We've said that if this acquisition goes through, we're happy to make sure that there's a #59 with Call of Duty and no doubt others."

To get there they are counting the games that were already on the Playstation when they bought out the studio. Yet by that same logic they are forgetting SSO - and hilarious by all nature: Halo 1-3. Oh and destiny etc.

Their PR is just pathetic. It is fake news at its worst. This is stuff I expected to see at the bottom of the barrel fanboy sites.

But we will get people in VGC that will swear MS and Phil are very much against fanboys and console wars =p

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."