By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Switch games which underperfomed the most

Astral Chain over performed from PG's perspective so people need to stop mentioning it in this topic.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network

Skyward Sword HD did well for what it was, which was a port of a game that was divisive amongst the fanbase when it originally released on Wii and had issues beyond motion controls. Breath of the Wild's development was in many ways a direct response to feedback on Skyward Sword.

It ultimately outsold the Wii version by a decent amount, which isn't something that normally happens for Zelda remakes.

Nintendo's sports games are not ambitious enough to sell more than what they do. It's a shame because, Mario Tennis: Aces for example has such a great gameplay but nowadays people need all the bling-bling in a sports game to be happy. I personally prefer straight forward sports games, no matter if they are simulations or fun games.

Kakadu18 said:
peachbuggy said:

I agree with all the games mentioned but i feel DKTF port should get a mention, as i feel that underperformed also.

I think for being more expensive than the Wii U version 4mil is pretty good.

Ngl it probably helped limit the sales but most last gen Switch ports comfortably sold their predecessors on the Switch. Case in point Nsmbud which was actually a port of a port! 

I was expecting at least 6m for DK.

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

IcaroRibeiro said:
Mar1217 said:

I kinda fear the end result but I'll say this compared to its predecessor, I kinda feel like Xenoblade Chronicles 3 sales will being slightly disappointing from what I personally expected when it launched.

Time will tell if the standalone story can give it a needed second wind, but I really wanted this game to be the moment where the franchise breaks the shackle and gets just as popular as Persona for example.

Guess it'll need more time in the oven before it happens but, it's slowly getting there.

I was never bound to happen. Persona breaktrough was due to a combination of gameplay focusing heavily on social sim mechanics, presentation (overall distinct and very memorable aesthetics) and a very high school anime-like setting of story/characters

I didn't play Xeno 3, but the trailers gave me the impression it was pretty much Xeno 1 in new clothes. If the Xeno 1 was not a major seller, there was few reasons to believe Xeno 3 would be a major seller either. Even if the game in the end was significantly different, an average person like would hardly know it because it wasn't marketed as such. 

My impression playing Xeno 1 is that a RPG that is competent, but lacks something to stand out as unique, something other games don't have. For instance, team Asano games have their HD-2D, Fire Emblem have its permadeath, Dragon Quest have their Dragon Ball artstyle, Kingdom Hearts have the Disney characters, and the list goes on

I can't remember a single thing from Xenoblade1 that makes me think "This is so Xenoblade". If Monolith somehow manage to bring something that is easy to market and can be easily perceived as a must play then the franchise can finally have its breaktrough 

I mean your opinion of your impression of the 1st game is fine by all means but at the time it released, Xenoblade Chronicles went to be the most acclaimed JRPG of it's generation by far due to it's great cast, a story with good emotional twist and turns, a GOTY music OST and by all means, a designed world which felt completely uniquely constructed from it's other contemporaries like FF and others would walked the linear path. 

Even today, the series still has a quasi unmatched way to setup and build up it's worlds and thematically the world is just as much a character as the characters of your party are. Other games in the genre practically do not do that.

Anywoo, since you haven't played XC3 or XC2 I presume. It's understandable that you might not get what makes the Xenoblade series unique and attractive in it's own way.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Around the Network
siebensus4 said:

If you're talking about Super Mario Maker 2, don't forget that this game was pretty much unfinished at launch and the most important things were missing: online multiplayer mode, super world editor, play levels made by Switch friends etc. Compared to Mario Maker 1 on Wii U you have worse controls with controller and touchscreen and almost nothing to unlock. Even worse: you can lose the medals you've earned.
Compare that to Mario Maker 1, which had the 100 Mario Challenge to unlock new characters you can play with - and you got new items for the editor every two weeks. The whole Mario Maker 2 game was a mess. A rushed release without a concrete plan. It also didn't help that Nintendo stopped supporting the game within less than 1 year.

OP:
Sales of Labo were disappointing. ARMS and 1-2-Switch were not the big new hits, which Nintendo maybe had expected. Yoshi's Crafted World, Astral Chain, Captain Toad, Miitopia, Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope also underperformed.

Pretty harsh to say that Mario Maker 2 is unfinished when it already way more stuff than Mario Maker 1, new items, new maker mechanics, 3D World arts type, story mode,, local multiplayer, and it had online multiplayer at launch it was just missing the ability to play with friends at launch. Also, nobody was expecting the Super World Maker in the first place before launch and wasn't in Mario Maker 1 so it wasn't like a removed feature and a mess of a launch. The game also got a 88 on metacritic at launch, its pretty disrespectful to call Mario Maker 2 unfinished and a mess at launch.

It seems some people really overestimate how games should perform. This is probably partly due to the insane success of a lot of the top sellers on Switch (and other massive games across other platforms). Not everything needs to sell 5mil+ in order to succeed or perform well.

ARMS for example sold 2.6 million, which is just fantastic for a new style of fighter. It just missed the mark to be in the top 20 best selling fighting games of all time, where it has to go up against juggernauts like Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter, Tekken, Super Smash Bros. and Dragon Ball (which are also pretty much the only games represented in the top 20). Expecting it to beat the founders of fighting games on the first release is unrealistic.

Astral Chain, as others have mentioned, sold above developers expectations, selling over 1.2million and they are making 2 more games for the franchise at least. In comparison, the switch version Bayonetta 2 and Bayonetta 3 sit at just over 1 million at the moment.

For me personally, I expected more from Mario Maker (the first one on the Wii U), considering the popularity of 2D Mario and building games, even though it was the the 7th best selling first party game on the Wii U. The second one however, almost doubled the sales, so it's a far fetch to call it underperforming.

I do think Pokémon Snap performed below developer expectations, but it's no surprise. Part of the reason Snap was popular when it first released was that it allowed people to see Pokémon in 3D. That's not a novelty anymore though, so you're just left with a small on rails 'shooter'. A €39,99 price point could've increased sales a bit, but I'm not sure it would've sold enough to make up for the 30% price difference.

Mario + Rabbids - Sparks of Hope also underperformed according to the developers. I think we can all agree Ubisoft misread the market though. All their games go on crazy sales starting even 1 month after release. The first game had a permanent price drop to €39.99 before it reached 1 year on the market, had multiple sales after that and went as low as €9,99 a couple times. Why on earth would you pay full price, or even at the initial price drop? (I did buy it, but I'm not the average gamer)

Sushi Striker definitely underperformed, and again, completely misreading of the market. Insanely high price for a game in a gerne you can find hundreds, if not thousands of versions of on mobile or web-based platforms. 

mZuzek said:

Maybe a bit silly to expect more from what ended up becoming the best-selling game in its franchise, but I really hoped Metroid Dread would've sold much better. Expected 5 million at least.

People can call me nuts all they want, but I think Metroid Prime Remastered will sell 5 million or so. At least if you count physical and digital.

Metroid Prime sold about 2.8 million on the GameCube. The Switch has a far higher install base and there is a lot of nostalgia for Metroid Prime. 

Metroid Prime 4 selling 5 million probably won't happen. 

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

IcaroRibeiro said:
Mar1217 said:

I kinda fear the end result but I'll say this compared to its predecessor, I kinda feel like Xenoblade Chronicles 3 sales will be slightly disappointing from what I personally expected when it launched.

Time will tell if the standalone story can give it a needed second wind, but I really wanted this game to be the moment where the franchise breaks the shackle and gets just as popular as Persona for example.

Guess it'll need more time in the oven before it happens but, it's slowly getting there.

I was never bound to happen. Persona breaktrough was due to a combination of gameplay focusing heavily on social sim mechanics, presentation (overall distinct and very memorable aesthetics) and a very high school anime-like setting of story/characters

I didn't play Xeno 3, but the trailers gave me the impression it was pretty much Xeno 1 in new clothes. If the Xeno 1 was not a major seller, there was few reasons to believe Xeno 3 would be a major seller either. Even if the game in the end was significantly different, an average person like would hardly know it because it wasn't marketed as such. 

My impression playing Xeno 1 is that a RPG that is competent, but lacks something to stand out as unique, something other games don't have. For instance, team Asano games have their HD-2D, Fire Emblem have its permadeath, Dragon Quest have their Dragon Ball artstyle, Kingdom Hearts have the Disney characters, and the list goes on

I can't remember a single thing from Xenoblade1 that makes me think "This is so Xenoblade". If Monolith somehow manage to bring something that is easy to market and can be easily perceived as a must play then the franchise can finally have its breakthrough

What a bad take. No Xenoblade 3 is not Xeno 1 with new clothes. Xenoblade stood out for helping revive the genre in 2010 and making some big changes to the genre on top of being extremely well-made. A fantastic story and characters music etc. JRPGs of that era were things like the budget-conscious and ever-so-mediocre Tales of games. Neptunia shit. Shining Refrain. Even higher-budget trash like FFXIII-2 felt held back in scope and ambition. Pushed the Wii beyond its limit and ran well. Making Monolith one of Nintendo's best studios not only in quality games but knowing how to push Nintendo hardware to the limit. Monolith should be in the conversations of studios like ND who get the most out of the hardware they have to work with.

Did you even rebuild Colony 6? I have 3 times. Finished the game 3 times. Twice on Wii (PAL and US) and Switch. The game added a lot of mechanics and features not seen in the genre at the time and still, most don't. Took some inspiration from western RPGs and implemented them. Some quests only can be completed at certain times of day or weather. Xenoblade is unique for many reasons. It's still unlike anything out there. If you need just one obvious thing to see what makes XB so unique it's the massive worlds even tho that is just one element of many. But that expertise is why Monolith designed the open world for BOTW. Oh and BOTW owes its best in class design to games like Xenoblade X which not only was a large sprawling world but added verticality.

Every Xenoblade game like any series has elements of being familiar to other games within a series or made by one studio but they all each have their own tone and feel. Xenoblade 3 feels far more hopeless than 1 and esp 2. The last half of that game feels more like Xenosaga and blade and chunks of the early game feel more like Xenogears than Blade.

Last edited by Leynos - on 12 February 2023

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

peachbuggy said:
Kakadu18 said:

I think for being more expensive than the Wii U version 4mil is pretty good.

Ngl it probably helped limit the sales but most last gen Switch ports comfortably sold their predecessors on the Switch. Case in point Nsmbud which was actually a port of a port! 

I was expecting at least 6m for DK.

It did comfortably outsell the Wii U version. It more than doubled it.

What do you mean with the bolded?