By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Switch games which underperfomed the most

Lucas-Rio said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

I don't feel like massive world by itself is something unique I mean... there is quite a lot open world games nowadays, so being a big world in scope while nice is hard to be seen as a selling point. Other JRPGs have done it as well, like Final Fantasy XV. I get you like the game a lot, but nothing you are telling me strikes me as something you cannot find anywhere else. 

A made a list of things that are easily perceived by customers. What is the other RPG where you can control Disney characters or play in Disney worlds? None, only Kingdom Hearts have this. JRPG with heavy focus on school life social sim aspecfd? Persona. Those are selling points that you can see in a minute just watching a trailer. Xenoblade do not gave any of this. Take a Star Ocean trailer and a Xenoblade trailer and give it to someone who never played either and the answer is likely to be "ok, they are similar"

It's not that Xenoblade is worse than Star Ocean, but the presentation and marketing surrounding Xenoblade games makes hard to get people who never played Xenoblade and convince the people that the game is really worth a try. It lacks a "It" factor, and this factor is what preventing it to break a more mainstream audience, despite the heavy review from both critics and fans. 

I also must add that I've played Xenoblade remaster, so while I understand gameplay elements I'm familiar maybe came originally from Xenoblade the fact I've experienced them in other games are making me fail to have an better opinion about Xenoblade specifically. 

Xenoblade 4 can be the best game ever made, if Nintendo and Monolith are not able to find anything to sell that can make the average gamer see the game as unavailable I don't see it selling anything more than the average ~1.5 million. Is that a problem? Not really, I guess it's enough for the game to pay itself and keep the franchise afloat. Will Nintendo always be satisfied with this level of popularity? I dunno, I think so but we shall see 

I think Nintendo keeps financing games like Xenoblade, Bayonetta and Astral Chain to keep the library of the Switch with diversity and to keep critical acclaim, for them it's important to not repeat the Wii years when they started to turn too much toward the casual crowd at the end of the console.

They want people to know that there are more serious looking game on Switch. That's why they are bringing back Metroid too, despite the serie not selling as much as other series.

It's all about finding a good balance. Nintendo release somes games to make a lot of money and other to build the library.

Nintendo would love Bayonetta or Xenoblade to have a big breakout moment, but that not why the series are continued.

I agree with if you. There is no need for a game like Xenoblade to sell 5 million copies. It pays itself and helps to diversity the hardware library, for all purposes it's a successful game as it is and I see no reason for Nintendo to see it as disappointment 

Around the Network
IcaroRibeiro said:
Lucas-Rio said:

I think Nintendo keeps financing games like Xenoblade, Bayonetta and Astral Chain to keep the library of the Switch with diversity and to keep critical acclaim, for them it's important to not repeat the Wii years when they started to turn too much toward the casual crowd at the end of the console.

They want people to know that there are more serious looking game on Switch. That's why they are bringing back Metroid too, despite the serie not selling as much as other series.

It's all about finding a good balance. Nintendo release somes games to make a lot of money and other to build the library.

Nintendo would love Bayonetta or Xenoblade to have a big breakout moment, but that not why the series are continued.

I agree with if you. There is no need for a game like Xenoblade to sell 5 million copies. It pays itself and helps to diversity the hardware library, for all purposes it's a successful game as it is and I see no reason for Nintendo to see it as disappointment 

Yes, that's what is good with Nintendo, I mean Microsoft would have shelved both Xenoblade and Bayonetta and closed Monolith for good.

IcaroRibeiro said:
Leynos said:

What a bad take. No Xenoblade 3 is not Xeno 1 with new clothes. Xenoblade stood out for helping revive the genre in 2010 and making some big changes to the genre on top of being extremely well-made. A fantastic story and characters music etc. JRPGs of that era were things like the budget-conscious and ever-so-mediocre Tales of games. Neptunia shit. Shining Refrain. Even higher-budget trash like FFXIII-2 felt held back in scope and ambition. Pushed the Wii beyond its limit and ran well. Making Monolith one of Nintendo's best studios not only in quality games but knowing how to push Nintendo hardware to the limit. Monolith should be in the conversations of studios like ND who get the most out of the hardware they have to work with.

Did you even rebuild Colony 6? I have 3 times. Finished the game 3 times. Twice on Wii (PAL and US) and Switch. The game added a lot of mechanics and features not seen in the genre at the time and still, most don't. Took some inspiration from western RPGs and implemented them. Some quests only can be completed at certain times of day or weather. Xenoblade is unique for many reasons. It's still unlike anything out there. If you need just one obvious thing to see what makes XB so unique it's the massive worlds even tho that is just one element of many. But that expertise is why Monolith designed the open world for BOTW. Oh and BOTW owes its best in class design to games like Xenoblade X which not only was a large sprawling world but added verticality.

Every Xenoblade game like any series has elements of being familiar to other games within a series or made by one studio but they all each have their own tone and feel. Xenoblade 3 feels far more hopeless than 1 and esp 2. The last half of that game feels more like Xenosaga and blade and chunks of the early game feel more like Xenogears than Blade.

I don't feel like massive world by itself is something unique I mean... there is quite a lot open world games nowadays, so being a big world in scope while nice is hard to be seen as a selling point. Other JRPGs have done it as well, like Final Fantasy XV. I get you like the game a lot, but nothing you are telling me strikes me as something you cannot find anywhere else. 

A made a list of things that are easily perceived by customers. What is the other RPG where you can control Disney characters or play in Disney worlds? None, only Kingdom Hearts have this. JRPG with heavy focus on school life social sim aspecfd? Persona. Those are selling points that you can see in a minute just watching a trailer. Xenoblade do not gave any of this. Take a Star Ocean trailer and a Xenoblade trailer and give it to someone who never played either and the answer is likely to be "ok, they are similar"

It's not that Xenoblade is worse than Star Ocean, but the presentation and marketing surrounding Xenoblade games makes hard to get people who never played Xenoblade and convince the people that the game is really worth a try. It lacks a "It" factor, and this factor is what preventing it to break a more mainstream audience, despite the heavy review from both critics and fans. 

I also must add that I've played Xenoblade remaster, so while I understand gameplay elements I'm familiar maybe came originally from Xenoblade the fact I've experienced them in other games are making me fail to have an better opinion about Xenoblade specifically. 

Xenoblade 4 can be the best game ever made, if Nintendo and Monolith are not able to find anything to sell that can make the average gamer see the game as unavailable I don't see it selling anything more than the average ~1.5 million. Is that a problem? Not really, I guess it's enough for the game to pay itself and keep the franchise afloat. Will Nintendo always be satisfied with this level of popularity? I dunno, I think so but we shall see 

You have not played them so you're wrong. The world size and use of it. Is very unique. The fact you think FFXV is even remotely comparable is laughable. They could not be more different and aim for something entirely different and FFXV becomes a hallway sim in the second half of that game. You may as well compare Ace Combat to MS Flight Sim.  What a horrible comparison lol

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Leynos said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

You have not played them so you're wrong. The world size and use of it. Is very unique. The fact you think FFXV is even remotely comparable is laughable. They could not be more different and aim for something entirely different and FFXV becomes a hallway sim in the second half of that game. You may as well compare Ace Combat to MS Flight Sim.  What a horrible comparison lol

Ok, we might not agree with his point of view but I don't think it's necessary to feel so defensive when we know there's no need to be due to the quality of the games themselves. 

Personally, I think just like they did with Xenoblade 2 during the Switch launch window, Monolith Soft will need to launch another great quality game in the franchise, which will also mark the beginning of a new saga, during the Switch 2 launch year to make the franchise increase in sales potential.

Either that or a new IP. 

Also, before people ask for "less anime", they should affirm and define what is anime in the first, you speak of cuz simply put be it FF, Persona, Xenoblade or Tales of, etc ... They are all anime in all purpose of speaking.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Kakadu18 said:
peachbuggy said:

Ngl it probably helped limit the sales but most last gen Switch ports comfortably sold their predecessors on the Switch. Case in point Nsmbud which was actually a port of a port! 

I was expecting at least 6m for DK.

It did comfortably outsell the Wii U version. It more than doubled it.

What do you mean with the bolded?

New super mario bros u deluxe was a port of new super mario bros u, which was a port of new super Mario bros wii

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

Around the Network
peachbuggy said:
Kakadu18 said:

New super mario bros u deluxe was a port of new super mario bros u, which was a port of new super Mario bros wii

Uuuuhhh no. They might be similar in aesthetic but the Wii game is simply not the same as the WiiU game. 

Sorry it took you so long to realize the fact 😅

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Mar1217 said:
peachbuggy said:

Uuuuhhh no. They might be similar in aesthetic but the Wii game is simply not the same as the WiiU game. 

Sorry it took you so long to realize the fact 😅

:O all these years i thought that was the case! Perhaps if i'd bought it for the Wii u i'd have found out but i didn't because......

I thought it was a port :O

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

peachbuggy said:
Kakadu18 said:

Are you kidding? Like do you for real believe this?!

What even suggested it was a port? Do you think New Super Mario Bros. 2 is a port of the first DS game? Is Mario Kart 8 a port of Mario Kart Wii?

They are very different and contrary to popular believe of ignorant people NSMBU is a very creative game with many new ideas. It's levels are designed very well, it has many new enemies and new power-ups and even a new boss character. It's overworld is designed differently from NSMBW.

Even if it was just the Wii game it would be called a remaster because all of it's assets and it's graphics look vastly better.

Mar1217 said:
Leynos said:

Ok, we might not agree with his point of view but I don't think it's necessary to feel so defensive when we know there's no need to be due to the quality of the games themselves. 

Personally, I think just like they did with Xenoblade 2 during the Switch launch window, Monolith Soft will need to launch another great quality game in the franchise, which will also mark the beginning of a new saga, during the Switch 2 launch year to make the franchise increase in sales potential.

Either that or a new IP. 

Also, before people ask for "less anime", they should affirm and define what is anime in the first, you speak of cuz simply put be it FF, Persona, Xenoblade or Tales of, etc ... They are all anime in all purpose of speaking.

When people hate on anime I typically think they are thinking of the kinda trash Compile Heart made. (I miss the real Compile that made MUSHA) Or what SEGAheart was into and that stuff isn't for me either. Some of those people who bash anime like Metal Gear and that series is anime as it gets in story telling. My personal fave anime is a lot of darker Sci Fi stuff from the 80s. It was aimed at older audiences and was a lot of cyberpunk/Mecha stuff that wasn't aiming at kids nor people who wanted big titty high pitched anime girls.

Xeno series is anime but IMO it's some of the best. XB2 tho yeah it went into the other territory. 1 and 3 are different games and excellent games. I like 2 tho. It's still a good game. As is X. I'm hoping Xenoblade 4 brings back mechs. Oroborus is pretty damn awesome tho.

Last edited by Leynos - on 12 February 2023

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Can you believe that by 2023 Xenoblade Chronicles X has still sold zero units on Switch? If you’d have asked me about that in 2017, I’d say that’s totally fucked!

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.