By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Switch games which underperfomed the most

Onto the money for niche titles by Nintendo.
On Xenoblade, I’d add that their value also comes in the form of advanced prototypes. Tetsuya Takahashi more or less created the Xenoblade series to explore how he could advance gameplay mechanics, worldbuilding, balancing, and other elements. At the same time, he built these games into fairly decent titles, usually taking elements of the stories of his past games and reimagining them on a smaller scale for the new settings. While the prototypes were initially intended to be for a sequel to Xenogears, the learnings have been incorporated into the Legend of Zelda franchise. An open world where you can go everywhere you can see originated with Xenoblade Chronicles X, and used in Breath of the Wild (well, minus the empty land stuff off the edge of the world). Before that, pacing and vertical design elements for an RPG were first explored in Xenoblade Chronicles.

Someone mentioned a simplification of the battle system, I’d be onboard with that. The games I tend to like aren’t necessarily simple, but the interfaces are usually simplified as much as possible without sacrificing the complexity of outcomes. Xenogames often have a bit of a problem there, and battle interfaces can get so intricate that it takes the player out of the battle. A perfect example of a complex battle system with a simple interface is Chrono Trigger: strategic area based attacks, combo moves involving 2 or 3 characters, and other such things, but with a very simple select + enter interface. None of this “pick a series of commands to execute one round of attacks” stuff that makes certain Cenoblade games (and other RPGs) feel a little bloated.
Otherwise, I love the Xenoblade games, I just wish their battle system designer would look at the philosophy behind Chrobo Trigger—because I feel they get a lot right about Xenoblade’s battle system but there’s just a few parts of it that feel convoluted and bloated to execute for what really amounts to a Triple tech from Chrono Trigger: an easier way to do it is to just preset the moves and select, it would speed up the drawn out battles substantially without losing the context of what’s going on.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network
javi741 said:

Pretty harsh to say that Mario Maker 2 is unfinished when it already way more stuff than Mario Maker 1, new items, new maker mechanics, 3D World arts type, story mode,, local multiplayer, and it had online multiplayer at launch it was just missing the ability to play with friends at launch. Also, nobody was expecting the Super World Maker in the first place before launch and wasn't in Mario Maker 1 so it wasn't like a removed feature and a mess of a launch. The game also got a 88 on metacritic at launch, its pretty disrespectful to call Mario Maker 2 unfinished and a mess at launch.

Play versus online and you know how to NOT program an online mode. It's nearly unplayable with all the lag since day 1. I played a lot Mario Maker 1 and 2 (over 1000 hours) but at the end of the day Mario Maker 1 is the better game. Just look at some streamers who play SMM2. They have invented new rules like endless no skip challenge, iron bros challenge, Nuzlock challenge... The game by itself just offers not enough motivation why I should play it, if I lose the medals after some time. You can't even see in-game, how to unlock new costumes.

On the other hand we have the fan-made level viewer with level search function. That's what we need. Even in SMM1 you could download a level and view it in the editor. But not in SMM2. Or you could see the difficulty of your own level in the Mario Maker Bookmark. But with SMM2 there's no replacement for the official MM Bookmark website.

They put in useless stuff like Yamamura's Dojo or the 2 player coop maker mode. Noone uses these kind of things. Whoever was responsible for the content of the game, he really hasn't understood what you need for such a game.

Last edited by siebensus4 - on 13 February 2023

peachbuggy said:

New super mario bros u deluxe was a port of new super mario bros u, which was a port of new super Mario bros wii

I didn't realise New Pokemon Snap had fared so poorly. I was hoping for a couple more expansions as the first went down so well but was probably a pipe-dream anyway and those sales probably put paid to any DLC ideas. Shame as I thought it was a great little safari game.

Arms

I LOVE ICELAND!

Around the Network
Jumpin said:

Can you believe that by 2023 Xenoblade Chronicles X has still sold zero units on Switch? If you’d have asked me about that in 2017, I’d say that’s totally fucked!

We're past the Xeno X remaster/remake phase at least on Switch.

I'd immensely prefer if the game we're to be remade for the Switch successor though 

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

I thought the Hyrule Warriors series would have sold more.. i love it

Mar1217 said:
Jumpin said:

Can you believe that by 2023 Xenoblade Chronicles X has still sold zero units on Switch? If you’d have asked me about that in 2017, I’d say that’s totally fucked!

We're past the Xeno X remaster/remake phase at least on Switch.

Indeed. The 2, its DLC, the 1st one being remade + an epilogue, and then the 3rd one (with its DLC), I think the Switch had a lot of new Xenoblade stuff without needing to include a remaster (or remake) of X