By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Discussion Thread – The 13th Annual Greatest Games Event

S.Peelman said:
drbunnig said:

is #40 a Rogue Squadron game? Wouldn't know which number to guess.

Warmer, correct franchise, and even comparable somewhat though my game's a bit more on rails, so still not quite.

One of the TIE Fighter games?

Around the Network
S.Peelman said:
Mnementh said:

#36: The main characters from the first game in the series are back, but this time on a ship.

Resident Evil Revelaitons. Nice. It's not in my list this year, but a great game nonetheless.

Indeed, great game. Correct.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

drbunnig said:
S.Peelman said:

Warmer, correct franchise, and even comparable somewhat though my game's a bit more on rails, so still not quite.

Nope, not one of the X-Wing/TIE Fighter games. Remember, it has live-action scenes.

S.Peelman said:
drbunnig said:

Nope, not one of the X-Wing/TIE Fighter games. Remember, it has live-action scenes.

Star Wars: Rebel Assault II maybe? (not sure the first one had FMV's)

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 23 November 2022

Mnementh said:

More hints:

#41: Guessed by Veknoid_Outcast: Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana

#40: Guessed by S.Peelman: Majora's Mask

#39: The extraterrestrial Pandoravirus causes horrible mutations that creates monsters.
While the game is set in 2047, the lore puts the outbreak of this virus at... 2020 coincidentally, a year after the release of the game.

#38: Help the kingdom of Nostria.
Play either as Elisa, Aivar or Katharine.

#37: After a god was killed a few years ago, it happens that childs are born without a soul which are called hollowborn.
Some mages try to put animal souls in the kids. What could possibly go wrong?

#36: The main characters from the first game in the series are back, but this time on a ship.

ranking in the guessing game, list so far

39: Phoenix Point?

Around the Network
Bofferbrauer2 said:
S.Peelman said:

Star Wars: Rebel Assault II maybe? (not sure the first one had FMV's)

Yes! That one is correct. It actually had very exciting, and high quality cutscenes.

Bofferbrauer2 said:
Mnementh said:

More hints:

#41: Guessed by Veknoid_Outcast: Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana

#40: Guessed by S.Peelman: Majora's Mask

#39: The extraterrestrial Pandoravirus causes horrible mutations that creates monsters.
While the game is set in 2047, the lore puts the outbreak of this virus at... 2020 coincidentally, a year after the release of the game.

#38: Help the kingdom of Nostria.
Play either as Elisa, Aivar or Katharine.

#37: After a god was killed a few years ago, it happens that childs are born without a soul which are called hollowborn.
Some mages try to put animal souls in the kids. What could possibly go wrong?

ranking in the guessing game, list so far

39: Phoenix Point?

Correct!

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Guessed by @Ultrashroomz

The second chapter in the Metroid series is strange in that it has three versions - the Game Boy original, the fanmade remake, and the 3DS remake - and each of them have many differences between each other, largely feeling like three entirely different takes on the same idea. Unlike many, I don't think the original is bad at all, though it has definitely aged, but neither of the remakes really feel like the "definitive edition". I've played through all three and enjoyed all of them, but Samus Returns here is certainly my favorite in spite of some strange changes. To be honest, I think it ultimately fails at being a good remake, but it does not fail at being a good game. Time will be unkind to it, as the next Metroid game by MercurySteam greatly improved on the strengths of this game, fixed all of its flaws, and had a stronger personality too, but this was a fine first outing for the Spanish studio.

Top 50 >>

Bofferbrauer2 said:
Jaicee said:

Someone else has recognized the specialness of Spiritfarer.

I have the game on my wishlist, but haven't played it yet. Maybe I'll get it this holiday sale.

Maybe you'll find it one of the most thoughtful and creative games ever made.

Mnementh said:
#38Valkyria Chronicles 4
guessed byMachina
platformSwitch/Stadia
release year2018
developer/publisherSega
genreturn-based tactics RPG
linksWikipedia
past years2021: #38, 2020: #33, 2019: #44, 2018: #50

I like deep tactical gameplay, which is why I prefer usually turn-based gameplay over action gameplay, as the faster paced variant has to be cooked down a bit to make it possible to make faster decisions. But Valkyria Chronicles is actually turn-based gameplay with a lot of deep decision making. The game only uses some tricks to hide the fact. So you can move freely - until you have eaten up your alloted movement for the turn. Also seemingly stuff happens in sound and visually - but if you take notice, this doesn't actually have any effect until the turn moves forward.

So yes, this is turn-based gameplay dressed up to look more like real time. And this is fun! I have the deep decision-making but with more adrenaline as the action seems to go forward.

Also the 3D-view is usually a thing that I would think brings less overview helping my decision. But I do have a map-overview too and the 3D-view give you many visual helpers to help make the right decisions. This is a well thought through interface.

The setting is a fictional setting, which is inspired by europe and World War One. The characters are likable and in their history and actions understandable and each has their own unique character.

Visually the game creates very beatiful images with the style of hand-drawn colored images. This is very nice and I do like a less realistic style very much, if it is done well with artistic intention, which is clearly the case here.

Overall this is a well-made package for a fan of tactical games like me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSmVJc88HxE

Awesome. One of my favorites too.