By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Discussion Thread – The 13th Annual Greatest Games Event

Darashiva said:
Mnementh said:

Oh, I was thinking so much in the wrong direction, but now I got it: this is Spiritfarer!

Edit: Always such a nice trailer. And it shows all your hints.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZfqGU6Y5uU&ab_channel=ThunderLotus

Yeah, that's the one.

Someone else has recognized the specialness of Spiritfarer.

Around the Network
Jaicee said:
Darashiva said:

Yeah, that's the one.

Definitely. It's an excellent game that has stayed with me long past finishing it earlier this year.

Jaicee said:
Darashiva said:

Yeah, that's the one.

I have the game on my wishlist, but haven't played it yet. Maybe I'll get it this holiday sale.

Now we're getting somewhere. Last hints for #47 today, I'll drop two at once for this last round

47: This early 3D PC game is mostly an ego-shooter, but also an adventure game and has some strategy mixed into it. Magic Carpet 2, as (mostly) guessed by Mnementh

1. Hint: As long as you have summoned a castle and it is still standing, getting killed will respawn you there, otherwise it's game over.
  2. Hint: You're not firing weapons, but rather casting spells that you learn from scrolls you can find in the levels.
  3. Hint: Some of the spells can later be upgraded, so a fireball can become a rapid fireball that you're shooting like a machinegun - as long as you have enough mana for it that is.
  4. Hint: Some spells allow you to create craters and Volcanoes, which is quite impressive considering the 3D is fully software rendered (as in, not handled by a GPU)
  5. Hint: Like #48, this one also has an Arabian Nights setting
  6. Hint: Mana gets released from monsters, ennemies and castles in form of colored balls. You need to change them to your color for the hot air balloon from your castle to collect them.

45: A game very similar to the Metroid series. Turrican, as guessed by SanAndreasX

1. Hint: The original release was on the C64, though the best version is generally considered to be the Amiga version of this game.
  2. Hint: The games got re-released for modern consoles in a flashback package
  3. Hint: This game got several sequels, and the ones for the Megadrive (Genesis in the US) and Super Nintendo got Mega and Super respectively in their name.

42: Greetings, Warlord! Let the War... Begin! Warlords II Deluxe, as guessed by UnderwaterFunktown

1. Hint: While the first games were all turn-based strategy games, it's later spinoff series are all RTS

41: A 4X game that plays in space and in real-time.

1. Hint: You start off the game with a capital ship and 3 planets, one of which is very badly damaged from an attack prior of your command. With each rank increase of your main character, the quadrant of planets that you can control increases, as well what ships you can command.

39: A PC exclusive Pinball game from Sierra

38: One of the last games from Sega for the Dreamcast, released just days before the console got discontinued

Scoreboard:

UnderwaterFunktown 3 #48, #40, #42
S.Peelman 2 #49, #44
Mnementh 2 #50, #47
coolbeans 1 #46
Darashiva 1 #43
SanAndreasX 1 #45

Top 50 Games list:

Rank Name Platform Found by:
50 One Must Fall 2097 PC Mnementh
49 Warcraft 2: Tides of Darkness PC S.Peelman
48 Shantae and the Pirate's Curse Wii U UnderwaterFunktown
47 Magic Carpet 2 PC Mnementh
46 MadWorld Wii coolbeans
45 Turrican C64 SanAndreasX
44 Unreal Tournament 2004 PC S.Peelman
43 Ducktales NES Darashiva
42 Warlords II Deluxe PC UnderwaterFunktown
40 Serious Sam: The First Encounter PC UnderwaterFunktown

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 23 November 2022

Bofferbrauer2 said:

45: A game very similar to the Metroid series.

1. Hint: The original release was on the C64, though the best version is generally considered to be the Amiga version of this game.
  2. The games got re-released for modern consoles in a flashback package
  3. Hint: This game got several sequels, and the ones for the Megadrive (Genesis in the US) and Super Nintendo got Mega and Super respectively in their name.

Guessing Turrican on this one.

Around the Network
SanAndreasX said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

45: A game very similar to the Metroid series.

2. The games got re-released for modern consoles in a flashback package

Guessing Turrican on this one.

Good guess, that's correct!

Bofferbrauer2 said:

Now we're getting somewhere. Last hints for #47 today, I'll drop two at once for this last round

47: This early 3D PC game is mostly an ego-shooter, but also an adventure game and has some strategy mixed into it.

1. Hint: As long as you have summoned a castle and it is still standing, getting killed will respawn you there, otherwise it's game over.
  2. Hint: You're not firing weapons, but rather casting spells that you learn from scrolls you can find in the levels.
  3. Hint: Some of the spells can later be upgraded, so a fireball can become a rapid fireball that you're shooting like a machinegun - as long as you have enough mana for it that is.
  4. Hint: Some spells allow you to create craters and Volcanoes, which is quite impressive considering the 3D is fully software rendered (as in, not handled by a GPU)
  6. Hint: Mana gets released from monsters, ennemies and castles in form of colored balls. You need to change them to your color for the hot air balloon from your castle to collect them.

Uhh, Magic Carpet?

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Hints for ny next few:

39. Assemble an army of heroes for the father of the gods fight an evil fire demon... at least according to the box art and the manual.

38. You are an elven adventurer who comes home only to find your kingdom is overrun by mutant dwarves.

37. A punk-ass apprentice and his best friend battle multiple powerful nobles, the Pope, and his own brothers in turn-based battles.

36. New characters included a fat dude and a yağlı güreş fighter.

Mnementh said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

47: This early 3D PC game is mostly an ego-shooter, but also an adventure game and has some strategy mixed into it.

Uhh, Magic Carpet?

Actually Magic Carpet 2, but since both play mostly the same, I'll award it anyway

Well it seems nobody could guess which licensed game had "Tom" in its movie counterpart (probably got overlooked), but anyways it was Marvel's Spider-Man at #42. With that revealed it's time to say a bit about 45-41:

Placement/

Last Year

Write-up

(Box) Art

Metroid Dread

This game only barely made my list last year, yet here it is again a few spots up. To me, while Dread is not perfect, it definitely takes the crown for the best 2D Metroid and one of the best metroidvanias in general. It has everything that made the older titles great coupled with smoother movement and gameplay, amazing bosses and lovely over the top cutscenes. My few complaints are that the counter mechanic is a bit overused and that the ending was a bit nonsensical, but the game was still a joy to play overall.

Borderlands 2

This is one of those games I haven’t played for years but which I put hundreds of hours into back in the day, especially playing with friends. Borderlands 2 really had everything it needed as a sequel, improved gameplay, funny writing and it brought back the characters from the original in an interesting way. I would definitely say the game shined brightest in co-op, but it was still a great game either way you played it.

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

Symphony of the Night is still one of only two Castlevania games that I’ve played, but that doesn’t stop it from being here on this list. It’s an excellently crafted metroidvania with very little to complain about except perhaps the convoluted spell system. The voice performances and writing might be, eh, questionable at times, but honestly even on that front I like this game. While it might be a while before I play it again, I look forward to the next time I’ll be back-dashing through this creepy castle (and the other one).

Marvel’s Spider-Man

I think the best way I can describe Marvel’s Spider-Man is that it’s simply excellent entertainment. From swinging around New York City, to the fast-paced combat, to the surprisingly compelling story and of course the countless quips, it was just a thoroughly good time whenever I sat down to play. I haven’t played Miles Morales yet, but I’m definitely curious to see if that and the upcoming sequel can deliver as fun experiences as this.

Celeste

Celeste essentially took everything I liked about Super Meat Boy (#48) and build upon it further. The large connected levels consisting of smaller rooms is an excellent way of making a platformer and the dash mechanic and its variations allow for some very interesting and often very challenging level design. For its gameplay alone Celeste would already be my favorite 2D platformer, but it certainly doesn’t hurt that it also has a compelling story on top. 

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat