By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS5 and Xbox Series X|S Sales Are Nearly Tied - Global Hardware Mar 5-12

I finally got my PS5 on Thursday! Received the email invite from Sony.

Around the Network

Congrats to XBox. If you look at the data by region, Japan is the main area where PS5 has a big lead over X|S. However, PS5 overall is disappointing in Japan and how much it sells from week to week there can vary a lot. Also, I would expect PS5 sales in Japan to get more and more disappointing as time goes on. Basically all of this is good news for XBox and bad news for Playstation.

Also, Switch is still kicking ass as always.

Microsoft is benefitting from the Series S being an attractive price and the easiest to produce of all the SKUs. I wonder if Sony ever wonders if they should've released a weaker PS5 (stronger than a PS4 Pro but weaker than the PS5 released) alongside a standard version.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Xbox Series X/S is at 13.23 Million.
Wii U is at 13.97 Million according to the Platform Totals.

Xbox Series should outsell it in less than 2 months if things keep going like that.

PS in third place in Europe is just surreal to see.

Switch continues to do amazingly well not just for its age but for the middle of a global chip shortage. It may not be as strongly affected by the crunch as PS5 or Xbox Series, but we know from Nintendo themselves that it is not immune.

Around the Network

What are we going to do if the shortages stop and both Xbox Series and PS5's go up in proportion to where they are now? I feel like so many expect PS5 to crush XBS in that scenario that they aren't even open to the idea that Gamepass + major acquisitions offsetting Sonys mid major or minor acquisitions + PS games being more expensive for purchases may have increased the value of the XB brand to put it on equal footing with PS.

Dulfite said:

What are we going to do if the shortages stop and both Xbox Series and PS5's go up in proportion to where they are now? I feel like so many expect PS5 to crush XBS in that scenario that they aren't even open to the idea that Gamepass + major acquisitions offsetting Sonys mid major or minor acquisitions + PS games being more expensive for purchases may have increased the value of the XB brand to put it on equal footing with PS.

We would be shocked because the precedent from last gen hasn't flipped. Xbox is more competitive and has gained ground but they're not equal. If you look for a PS5 thats been scalped and is being sold, it's notably more expensive than a Series X. A lot needs to be done to undo Playstations 2:1 advantage over Xbox and Playstation has had a stellar 15months with the likes of Spiderman, Horizon, GT7, Ratchet and lots of lessor but highly rated/million sellers like Kena, Deathloop, Demon Souls, Returnal, Sifu. It's highly unlikely that Xbox is in more demand. 

Anecdote: Just done a quick search for both platforms on Game UK; Series X/S are both in stock. PS5 is not. 

Last edited by Otter - on 22 March 2022

Switch is such a beast.
Holding well against the monster Q1 of last year.

Will end up down yoy but will still be a fantastic result.

Im thinking 21-22 million at this point.

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Alex_The_Hedgehog said:

Xbox Series should outsell it in less than 2 months if things keep going like that.

Damn the Wii U was such a major flop. It still boggles my mind how bad Nintendo fumbled the ebag after the Wii.

jason1637 said:
Alex_The_Hedgehog said:

Damn the Wii U was such a major flop. It still boggles my mind how bad Nintendo fumbled the ebag after the Wii.

It makes for quite the case study. A lot of stuff went wrong but the system was solid by the end of year 2. It's hard to imagine that after the Wii's success, a system with its own Smash Bros, a Shiny new Mario Kart and a 3D Mario can flop so bad. Like zero brand loyalty lol.  It's actually one of the reasons why I think Nintendo ought to have a new system sooner rather than later, I think they're wider audience is quite fickle. Keeping them locked into the echosystem whilst its trending is something they should lean towards vs waiting for notable decline and restarting from zero.