By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Switch Sports announced

20m+ tacked on, imo.

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

Around the Network

The thing I’m looking most forward to is I work from a home office now. I usually take a 5 minute break every half hour to stretch and do a few quick exercises, get a coffee, or something. I can hardly wait to fill those five minute breaks with Wii Sports bowling and tennis. That’s the one thing Ring Fit Adventure lacked for me, was a satisfying casual mode. It HAD some casual mode stuff, but it wasn’t the same potential as Wii Sports or Wii Fit.

When I think of casual games, I’m thinking of those I pick up for 2-5 minutes a time maybe like 3-10 times a day, and do that over a period of months. Wii Sports wasn’t necessarily designed for that, but it can be used that way.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Jumpin said:

The thing I’m looking most forward to is I work from a home office now. I usually take a 5 minute break every half hour to stretch and do a few quick exercises, get a coffee, or something. I can hardly wait to fill those five minute breaks with Wii Sports bowling and tennis. That’s the one thing Ring Fit Adventure lacked for me, was a satisfying casual mode. It HAD some casual mode stuff, but it wasn’t the same potential as Wii Sports or Wii Fit.

When I think of casual games, I’m thinking of those I pick up for 2-5 minutes a time maybe like 3-10 times a day, and do that over a period of months. Wii Sports wasn’t necessarily designed for that, but it can be used that way.

Nintendo royally effed up the value proposition of Wii Sports.
It never should have been bundled for one.
They should have done 'New Play Control' for half the Gamecube games. Mario Tennis, golf, baseball etc and then released Wii Sports. MK DD should have had motion control added too and then MKWii should have released 3-5 years in.
Wii Sports is classic games like Pong w/motion control + pick up n play (small bursts) + solid local multiplayer + party game + fitness game + accessibility. Totally undervalued.
Nintendo seems to be 'copying' what MS did with the 360. Start off high-end core (handheld console), move to casual (motion control home console) and have plenty of 'casual to core' experiences ready for when the casuals want more instead of doing it arse-backwards like Nintendo did with Wii.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

I hope the Golf update is a sign of things to come and more events will be added down the line.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Another 10 million seller for Switch.

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Around the Network
Pyro as Bill said:
Jumpin said:

Nintendo royally effed up the value proposition of Wii Sports.
It never should have been bundled for one.
They should have done 'New Play Control' for half the Gamecube games. Mario Tennis, golf, baseball etc and then released Wii Sports. MK DD should have had motion control added too and then MKWii should have released 3-5 years in.
Wii Sports is classic games like Pong w/motion control + pick up n play (small bursts) + solid local multiplayer + party game + fitness game + accessibility. Totally undervalued.
Nintendo seems to be 'copying' what MS did with the 360. Start off high-end core (handheld console), move to casual (motion control home console) and have plenty of 'casual to core' experiences ready for when the casuals want more instead of doing it arse-backwards like Nintendo did with Wii.

I don’t think I’d argue with the success of the Wii’s first 4 years, it speaks for itself—Wii made a ton of profit on hardware sales because of the Wii Sports bundle; it was similar to the Super Mario Bros in that it set a new fresh tone for the industry. And the Wii’s sales velocity in its first three years remains insurmountable to this day. Wii Sports also really sold the concept of motion controls that allowed for many games using the features to sell in the millions and tens of millions. I think having Wii Sports bundled really helped in getting the Wii in as many hands as possible.

They really screwed up after 2010. Third party games were still going strong, Just Dance was monstrous in this time period (opened up a whole new party scene with the Wii), but Nintendo rapidly moving away from all forms of support. The ramp down wasn’t just less new key software, but less VC software and lower feature/content support on the Wii channels. By 2011, there was a strong sense of decline. and kind of opened up a whole new party scene for the Wii, but it wasn’t the same with such decline from Nintendo and the core features and content streams.

Rol (I believe) had a good write up about the decline of the Wii in 2011 and 2012. But that was a post from years ago, and I don’t have a link. Does anyone happen to have a link?

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Bowling, chambara, and tennis were great choices for returning sports; as for the new ones, while badminton seems a little too close to tennis IMO, soccer and volleyball look like quality additions.

Switch Sports is, as of writing this, the most viewed trailer of the Direct on Youtube, ahead of even the likes of Xenoblade 3, Kirby, and Mario Strikers, and while trailer views can't be directly extrapolated to sales, there does seem to be significant interest in the title.

Hopefully they add old and new sports as feee updates
Baseball and boxing were awesome!

PAOerfulone said:

Hopefully they add old and new sports as feee updates
Baseball and boxing were awesome!

There will be no baseball. Sony paid Nintendo to not include Baseball in Switch Sports, so that the japanese audience has to buy MLB The Show instead.

Your heard it here first!

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

curl-6 said:

It's going to be fascinating to see how this sells.

For years, many have pushed the narrative that Wii Sports was just a fad, but then they said the same thing about Wii Fit, and then came Ring Fit Adventure.
Will the appeal of Wii Sports live on in 2022? Can't wait to find out.

This game has massive disadvantages compared to Wii Sports:

It's launching halfway through the cycle. It will only have 3-4 years to sell unlike the 6-7 Wii Sports had.

It isn't bundled for free with Switch like Wii Sports was with Wii.

Anyone owning a lite probably won't buy it.

Motion controls aren't as popular.

It will probably sell 10+ million copies, but nowhere near Wii Sports, through no fault of its own.