By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Switch Sports announced

pikashoe said:
Dulfite said:

This game has massive disadvantages compared to Wii Sports:

It's launching halfway through the cycle. It will only have 3-4 years to sell unlike the 6-7 Wii Sports had.

It isn't bundled for free with Switch like Wii Sports was with Wii.

Anyone owning a lite probably won't buy it.

Motion controls aren't as popular.

It will probably sell 10+ million copies, but nowhere near Wii Sports, through no fault of its own.

Shouldn't we compare it to wii sports resort rather than the original, considering resort launched well into the wiis life. If we compare switch sports to resort it has a number of advantages, the biggest being price, I can't remember the price of resort but I imagine it was high due to the motion plus add on. Another advantage is the switch having a larger install base than the wii. Personally I don't think it will sell as much as resort but I think 20 million is very possible, particularly going by the success of ring fit.

https://www.engadget.com/2011-04-18-wii-sports-resort-wii-party-drop-by-10-on-april-25.html

This article from 2011 says that Wii Sports Resort and Wii Party would be getting a permanent $10 price drop down to $40. So it wasn't more ecpensive than other games and went for $50. Still Switch Sports is cheaper, especially when accounting for inflation, but as of what we know now will feature less content.

Around the Network
Kakadu18 said:

I just played a bit of Wii Sports again after many years of not touching it and boy the nostalgia kicked in instantly.
I never had Wii Sports Resort for some reason, so I just ordered it on Amazon for 30€. What a steal. Also ordered Mario Kart Wii for 50€. Never played that one either, but I have the accessory for the Wii remote.

Gonna be interesting.

Can't wait for Switch Sports.

If you enjoy Wii Sports but haven't played Resort yet, you're in for a treat.

It's one of those sequels that's bigger and better in basically every way, building on the foundation laid by the original while pushing the envelope further with much more content and a level of control nuance that wasn't possibly with the base Wiimote.

Resort was the game I got with my Wii in 2009, and playing it for the first time back then was one of the most "next gen" moments in my gaming life, playing games like the kendo/swordfighting with 1:1 motion controls felt like something from the future. Even today it holds up remarkably in my opinion.

This can be big!!

For me are very few sports and most of them are about to passing a ball above a net...

The deal would have been to have all sports from the first, some from Resort (ping pong, archer...) and some new additions... Maybe if it sales a lot would have extra sports via DLC

Mnementh said:
Dulfite said:

This game has massive disadvantages compared to Wii Sports:

It's launching halfway through the cycle. It will only have 3-4 years to sell unlike the 6-7 Wii Sports had.

It isn't bundled for free with Switch like Wii Sports was with Wii.

Anyone owning a lite probably won't buy it.

Motion controls aren't as popular.

It will probably sell 10+ million copies, but nowhere near Wii Sports, through no fault of its own.

"Motion controls aren't as popular."

Are you sure? It is a point that is often claimed, but I see no actual proof. The thing is, that motion control games were underdelivered after the Wii. So people who played Wii Sports probably didn't play any other console, as they weren't catered to. My boss bought actually a Wii and Wii Sports, and he did ask me once, why they did not do more of that. I will check in a few weeks if he is aware of the new Switch Sports and what he thinks about it.

Being aware is a problem, because you see, your list misses one disadvantage: advertisement. I don't know if Nintendo will step here, they still have time. But so far their only advertisement is a Nintendo Direct, which reaches the big fans already into the system. But Switch Sports is a game that mostly will appeal to people that do not have a Switch so far. So they need some way to advertise this that reaches these customers. TV ads would be the classic way.

With that said, I agree with your conclusion, it is a 10M+ seller, but it depends on some factors if it can reach more. I wouldn't compare it to Wii Sports though, Wii Sports Resort sold 33M, that should be the benchmark to gauge the success of this entry.

I have some question as to how good Switch Sports will be, with my main problems/questions being: Golf coming very late might hurt its sales, will you be able to actually move your character in Tennis, will it have good training modes like Wii Sports, no boxing, not many sports like Resort had and doesn't seem likely more sports will be added after Golf.

Regardless, I agree it'll at least do 10 million. But, if what is there is great and it gets really good word of mouth I could see this thing blowing up to 30m+ Wii Sports Resort type numbers.

Because I could see it appealing to the Ring Fit crowd which looks like it'll eventually hit 20m, but Sports will have more general appeal than a specifically fitness game that costs more with the peripheral. So with really good word of mouth, Ring Fit numbers would be my absolute bottom estimate. Then on the high side I could see this appealing a lot to the Animal Crossing casual crowd. In 2020 I bet a ton of casual gamers and non-gamers bought a Switch for Animal Crossing, and I could see a lot of them picking up Switch Sports, but also Switch Sports will appeal to plenty of people like me who aren't into that super casual play of Animal Crossing but love more active casual gaming like Wii Sports. With AC clearly heading toward well over 40m it is reasonable to conclude Switch Sports could at least go over 30 million. Again this assumes it is really good and therefore gets great word of mouth.

Could definitely have a big launch, be a big holiday seller this year for kids, and be a strong evergreen game.

But on the low side if it turns out to be sort of a low effort product with a lack of great sports (like maybe bowling is the only great sport and Golf coming out half a year later is too little too late) then yeah just 10+ million would sound about right.

Seems like a another great Mii Sports game! I hope they add football eventually into one of the installments but I digress it looks like a 9/10 trailer.

*Does Glide Shotgun Emote*

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Kakadu18 said:

I just played a bit of Wii Sports again after many years of not touching it and boy the nostalgia kicked in instantly.
I never had Wii Sports Resort for some reason, so I just ordered it on Amazon for 30€. What a steal. Also ordered Mario Kart Wii for 50€. Never played that one either, but I have the accessory for the Wii remote.

Gonna be interesting.

Can't wait for Switch Sports.

If you enjoy Wii Sports but haven't played Resort yet, you're in for a treat.

It's one of those sequels that's bigger and better in basically every way, building on the foundation laid by the original while pushing the envelope further with much more content and a level of control nuance that wasn't possibly with the base Wiimote.

Resort was the game I got with my Wii in 2009, and playing it for the first time back then was one of the most "next gen" moments in my gaming life, playing games like the kendo/swordfighting with 1:1 motion controls felt like something from the future. Even today it holds up remarkably in my opinion.

I absolutely love Resort, it really is a similar expanded experience to Wii Sports, as RingFit Adventure is to Wii Fit. There is a lot that drove the title forward, I personally love the most, how every event is on one island, Wuhu Island and you can explore the sites via airplane.

As Nintendo in the early days of the Switch showed no interest in revisiting these games, I bought one of the 3rd-party efforts that were ported from Wii to Switch: Go Vacation. The game is butt-ugly and most events are kinda boring, so I cannot recommend it, but it had one aspect that was glorious: you could freely roam around on the resort you played in, in a variety of vehicles. If the area would'Ve been more interesting with more stuff to explore and discover it would have been more fun, still just driving around in a quad was fun. The single sport events were on the map and you could start them by driving or walking to them and interact. The most fun was the jet-ski, as they built in obstacles and ramps on the water, so I could freely make jumps and drive around.

So my dream game would be a mix of resort and Go Vacation. A Wuhu island in HD, which I can freely explore at foot or in vehicles at land, water and air with stuff to discover and quite some sport events. Maybe even owning a flat on the island you can customize and show off to friends in online.

But well, we get what we get. I hope they don't stop at golf at least and add more events over time. I would love shooting arrows like in resort again, that was fun.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Yeah Resort was unironically one of the best games of 2009 for me, and I had a 360 and PS3 at the time as well as a Wii so it's not like I was limited for choice.

Hopefully Switch Sports can carry the torch forward successfully so that the franchise can re-establish itself and grow.

Registration is open for the playtest on the 18th-20th:

https://nintendoeverything.com/nintendo-switch-sports-online-play-test-registration-open/

Man!! Did I have fun with bowling survival mode!! So cool!!!

Played tennis bowling and chambara. The standard of the bowling was so high! Tennis was really cool. Much more precise than the original and hitting hard shots down the line was so satisfying, Chambara i found myself to be strangely adept at. All in all, great fun!

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!