By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Switch Sports announced

I didn’t find the Tennis or the bowling handled any differently than the original—they both felt identical. I also didn’t get much into Tennis because both my opponents were duds. One thing I did notice was the tennis racket rose and fell very smoothly, but I didn’t get around to figuring out what that all meant. I also didn’t manage to pull off a smash shot, I’m assuming they’re in the game.

The Chanbara was where the motion controls of the Switch really shined in my experience. Ultra precise and zero lag. It felt like an upgrade over Wii Motion+ and this is really the first game I’ve played on the Switch where I’ve felt that.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network

Really enjoyed the online demo last night. I am definitely considering getting Switch Sports. I do hope they add more sports than just golf in the future though. Would be cool and nostalgic to see Baseball, Boxing, Table Tennis and Air Sports!

I want to try local multiplayer vs online. I played the demo single player online for around 35-40 minutes, and it felt like it was missing something. While I think single player/online is ideal for casual play during for desk work breaks, I think for 15+ minute play sessions that multiplayer is the way to go. It’s kind of like Secret of Mana and Mario Kart in that way.

I find it amusing that this game is (to my understanding) Nintendo's first Super Sampling attempt (or whatever AMD calls their dlss equivalent). We are seeing an early glimpse at what Nintendo will be able to accomplish in the future on Switch and especially on Switch 2 with a sports game that doesn't have anything truly pushing it lol.
I'm really curious, if they stick with Nvidia for Switch 2, what Nintendo can accomplish with dlss on a game with a lot more demands like Zelda, Metroid Prime, Mario 3d.

I think the iterations we see on Switch 2 will blow Botw 2, MP4, and Xenoblade Chronicles 3 out of the water and all those games look stunning already.

So, to the people who played Tennis during this demo: can you actually move your character or is it the same computer controlled thing as Wii Sports?

I'm really hoping there will at least be an option to control the character because Wii Tennis was a total dud for me due to that, while it could be so great if they just let you actually control the character.

Around the Network
Slownenberg said:

So, to the people who played Tennis during this demo: can you actually move your character or is it the same computer controlled thing as Wii Sports?

I'm really hoping there will at least be an option to control the character because Wii Tennis was a total dud for me due to that, while it could be so great if they just let you actually control the character.

I kind of doubt there will be an option for that  just as I don’t think there’s going to be an option to play singles. I understand your frustration. I would love to be able to play singles and move my character,  but in order to be successful, “simplicity/accessibility” have to be kept. 

Slownenberg said:

Same.

It's the same as Wii Sports, the focus of the game is how you hit the ball rather than moving your character around - So, sorry guys, no soup for you :D

I think the sort of tennis game you'll want won't involve motion controls, but something more simplistic when it comes to actually hitting the ball. That way the game can be about positioning. Worrying about both things would just make for a frustrating game experience.

I mean, as is, from my opponents, without the previous Wii tennis experience, my opponents failed to hit the ball, and I ended up with very short 7-0 games. Imagine throwing manual movement at them too? It would be a lot of 1-2 hit games, and anything over that would be a rarity.

Table tennis might possibly including manual movement. There's actually space for it with each player being single characters at opposing ends of the table as opposed to being two characters on the field. I'm not sure, though. So, we'll see how that one turns out, it might be more what you're looking for.

Last edited by Jumpin - on 19 February 2022

Torpoleon said:

Really enjoyed the online demo last night. I am definitely considering getting Switch Sports. I do hope they add more sports than just golf in the future though. Would be cool and nostalgic to see Baseball, Boxing, Table Tennis and Air Sports!

Since we already know golf is coming, I can see more being added if the game performs well and accumulates an active player base.

curl-6 said:
Torpoleon said:

Since we already know golf is coming, I can see more being added if the game performs well and accumulates an active player base.

I wasn't thinking about golf. But now I'm really looking forward to it. The Wii was the only console where I actually found golf games fun, and I found them a lot of fun.