By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Switch Sports announced

Pyro as Bill said:

Finally. I'm guessing this isn't going to do big numbers on the Switch Lite.

Just a proper NSMB left to go now.

I'd say probably not overall (and this is coming from a gigantic Wii fan).

The numbers will be decent because there'll be a few million excited about the Nostalgia and sharing it with their kids who might have been too young or not born yet in the Wii-mania years.

But we're only kidding ourselves if we're equating this to have the earth shattering impact the way Wii Sports did back in 2006.

I feel like the game needs something a little more than what was shown to really get people excited. Wii Sports when it launched was a new frontier for gaming, this is a throw back. Of course, you brought up NSMB which was crazy popular on Wii just based on the Nostalgia. Maybe with the end of Coronavirus, people will crave that Wii experience the way people craved that 2D Mario experience after being starved for over a decade.

We have Wii Sports, now we just need block parties back for the summer of 2022, and I think it'll be a great year :D

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network
Jumpin said:
Kakadu18 said:

I can confirm that, I got a new Switch in 2020 and never had drifting again. Before that I had three pairs with drift within 3 years.

The big problem with the older ones is not so much drifting - as that’s far more trivial than it’s made out to be since it just requires some contact cleaner to fix—spray a little in and swirl the analog until it coats the gear; do this again on day 2, and then you might need it again in about a week, then drifting is usually gone for over a year; just repeat if it comes back. Most controllers in my household are from launch year.

The big problem is the launch year controllers have a tendency to cut out for a split second, but I’ve only found it to be a problem in Ring Fit Adventure challenges that require 100% perfection; it wasn’t a problem with Arms, and I don’t anticipate it’ll be one for Switch Sports.

That's interesting, never noticed that. What I did experience though was Joy-Cons suddenly having a way shorter battery life. Happened to two of the six drifting Joy-Cons.

Pyro as Bill said:

It won't do any numbers on the Switch Lite because handheld mode isn't supported. You would need to get extra Joy-Cons and play it in table top mode, which isn't ideal with the small screen being a bit further away when you're standing.

It's going to be fascinating to see how this sells.

For years, many have pushed the narrative that Wii Sports was just a fad, but then they said the same thing about Wii Fit, and then came Ring Fit Adventure.
Will the appeal of Wii Sports live on in 2022? Can't wait to find out.

Jumpin said:
Pyro as Bill said:

The numbers will be decent because there'll be a few million excited about the Nostalgia and sharing it with their kids who might have been too young or not born yet in the Wii-mania years.

But we're only kidding ourselves if we're equating this to have the earth shattering impact the way Wii Sports did back in 2006.

I feel like the game needs something a little more than what was shown to really get people excited. Wii Sports when it launched was a new frontier for gaming, this is a throw back. Of course, you brought up NSMB which was crazy popular on Wii just based on the Nostalgia. Maybe with the end of Coronavirus, people will crave that Wii experience the way people craved that 2D Mario experience after being starved for over a decade.

We have Wii Sports, now we just need block parties back for the summer of 2022, and I think it'll be a great year :D

You misunderstood. It's obviously not suited to the handheld which makes it sort of exclusive to the hybrid. It's possible they'll add classic controls but personally I hope they don't.

Earth shattering? No but it'll comfortably do 10m if not 20m and not because of nostalgia but because Wii Sports is a genuinely good game.

NSMB Wii's success couldn't have been nostalgia either given it was selling gangbusters on DS after releasing a few years earlier.

I'm starting to wonder if RFA isn't a spiritual sequel to Wii Fit after all and is a core version instead like ARMS is to Wii Boxing. A new balance board with ring compatibility for Switch Fit, Switch Sports, SMB Switch and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Deluxe would be a very attractive proposition for the 'casuals'. Release an EyeToy/Kinect accessory and Nintendo will have all the bases covered.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Around the Network

You guys cannot understand how happy I am with this announcement!! Wii sports was my jam!! Man, now I will get home from work everyday and play some tennis or bowling online. That badminton game looks pretty fun too. And when fall comes it’s all abou that golf my friends!! Thank you Nintendo!! Thanks a lot!!
Now just gives that 2d Mario.

I don't get why they aren't using Miis. Miis have shown up in some Switch games.

This is an easy seller, and one I figured we would get at some point. They should bring back Nintendogs. It's not a demanding game at all, and it will be another easy seller in the last years before the Switch 2 comes out.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Wman1996 said:

I don't get why they aren't using Miis. Miis have shown up in some Switch games.

This is an easy seller, and one I figured we would get at some point. They should bring back Nintendogs. It's not a demanding game at all, and it will be another easy seller in the last years before the Switch 2 comes out.

Nintendogs and Brain Age became pointless with tons of mobile game with same mechanics, released in 2011 Nintendogs+Cats sold less than 20% than the original DS versions. It's a Nintendo game so it would be a 1-2 million seller regardless, but if they want to release something like that it's better than develop a mobile game, I'm sure it's going to sell 20x times more 

h2ohno said:

Another great move - though I'm not too keen on the choice of sports. Badminton is too similar to tennis, volleyball doesn't look good in my opinion. Soccer with the joycon actually attached to your leg could be amazing or could be terrible, so very curios about that. Tennis, bowling, and eventually golf will all be great again. The sword-fighting was fun in Resort and should be just as good here. Lack of boxing is a big disappointment, as the original boxing was really fun in Wii Sports and the more 1-1 movement of the joycons combined with hd rumble would have made it a fantastic sport.

Another disappointment is the decrease in the number of sports. Resort had 12, and while no one is clamoring for cycling to return, why not bring back archery, frisbee. wakeboarding, ect. Maybe with more updates down the line. I also hope these sports will all have alternate or training modes like the first 2 games.

Yup same thoughts. It better have the training modes. And if they included a better version of boxing I'd be perfectly happy between that, golf, and bowling. Should still be real nice to have a Switch Sports though.

Jumpin said:
Pyro as Bill said:

Yeah will be interesting to see how it sells. I think if they had really knocked it out of the park it could do 20 million, but based on what we've seen so far I'm thinking 10 million would be good. Also the waiting like half a year for Golf to come I feel like will hurt sales.

If they actually had the whole game ready for its release, and had an improved version of boxing from the Wii game, and through in some smaller sports like Resort had, and assuming they have the training modes, I think this would be a 20 mil seller for sure. Actually I think they'd be better off releasing it for the holidays with everything included and market it as casual game to pick up for the holidays. But whatever, should be interesting.