By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Switch Sports announced

Kind of a limited number of games. Wii Sports resorts had way more. The new ones look fun, although I think three "ball over the net" games is a bit much. Wonder if this will be a full priced release, or more like $40. I sort of hoped they'd go something like Ring Fit Adventure with more of a single player/story component, but maybe best to keep it simple, as that was the game's selling point.

Seems odd that they included the leg strap just for soccer. Wonder if they'll be adding more games that use it.

I dunno how this is going to sell. Clubhouse games sold over 3 million, and Ring Fit is doing well, so some of that audience is definitely there already. 10 million seems reasonable. I think more Switch owners may have been Wii owners than people imagine. As for those who gave up after the Wii, I wonder how many will come back. Easy to imagine someone who played Wii Sports in college now wanting to play with their kids (with less alcohol hopefully).

Nostalgia is a powerful thing, which is why we have more reboots than new series nowadays.But $300 (plus the game if they don't bundle it) is a bit steep for that nostalgia hit. Although, it's not that much more expensive than the Wii was at launch, and maybe even cheapers when you factor in inflation.

At the very least, this is a much better effort than Wii Sports Club... Seriously baffling that the same company was responsible for all of the terrible decisions in the Wii U era, and the (mostly) great decisions for the Switch.

Around the Network
JWeinCom said:

Kind of a limited number of games. Wii Sports resorts had way more.

I've been waiting for a Switch Sports but yeah the actual Sports on offer is a little disappointing.

Bowling is obviously awesome.

Tennis will be great if they actually let you control your character, but if you can't like in Wii Sports its mostly a waste.

Badminton just feels redundant with Tennis in there but maybe it plays different enough to feel unique?

Volleyball may or may not be cool but currently I'm not interested in it.

Soccer and Chambara both could be cool.

Golf I'm very much looking forward to but it's bizarre it isn't coming until the Fall.

I wish they put boxing back in there instead of badminton and maybe added a couple of Wii Sport Resort games or a couple new sports.

I don't think they knocked it out of the park with Switch Sports but as long as Golf and Bowling are great and you can (hopefully) move in Tennis and the other games are decent this should be a good game. Online bowling competitions I think is what everyone is looking forward to anyways.

Also, now that we're talking about Wii Sports, isn't it somewhat sad that, while my Wiimotes and nunchucks work flawlessly, all joycons I have got the drifting disease in less than two years (and broke yet again after taking them for repairs)?

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

JWeinCom said:

Kind of a limited number of games. Wii Sports resorts had way more. The new ones look fun, although I think three "ball over the net" games is a bit much. Wonder if this will be a full priced release, or more like $40. I sort of hoped they'd go something like Ring Fit Adventure with more of a single player/story component, but maybe best to keep it simple, as that was the game's selling point.

Seems odd that they included the leg strap just for soccer. Wonder if they'll be adding more games that use it.

I dunno how this is going to sell. Clubhouse games sold over 3 million, and Ring Fit is doing well, so some of that audience is definitely there already. 10 million seems reasonable. I think more Switch owners may have been Wii owners than people imagine. As for those who gave up after the Wii, I wonder how many will come back. Easy to imagine someone who played Wii Sports in college now wanting to play with their kids (with less alcohol hopefully).

Nostalgia is a powerful thing, which is why we have more reboots than new series nowadays.But $300 (plus the game if they don't bundle it) is a bit steep for that nostalgia hit. Although, it's not that much more expensive than the Wii was at launch, and maybe even cheapers when you factor in inflation.

At the very least, this is a much better effort than Wii Sports Club... Seriously baffling that the same company was responsible for all of the terrible decisions in the Wii U era, and the (mostly) great decisions for the Switch.

It is $40

RolStoppable said:
Darwinianevolution said:

Also, now that we're talking about Wii Sports, isn't it somewhat sad that, while my Wiimotes and nunchucks work flawlessly, all joycons I have got the drifting disease in less than two years (and broke yet again after taking them for repairs)?

Somewhat sad? No.

It's pathetic that Nintendo put out such low quality controllers. Apparently the Joy-Cons produced after 2019 are of higher quality, but I haven't had one of these myself.

I can confirm that, I got a new Switch in 2020 and never had drifting again. Before that I had three pairs with drift within 3 years.

Around the Network

Another great move - though I'm not too keen on the choice of sports. Badminton is too similar to tennis, volleyball doesn't look good in my opinion. Soccer with the joycon actually attached to your leg could be amazing or could be terrible, so very curios about that. Tennis, bowling, and eventually golf will all be great again. The sword-fighting was fun in Resort and should be just as good here. Lack of boxing is a big disappointment, as the original boxing was really fun in Wii Sports and the more 1-1 movement of the joycons combined with hd rumble would have made it a fantastic sport.

Another disappointment is the decrease in the number of sports. Resort had 12, and while no one is clamoring for cycling to return, why not bring back archery, frisbee. wakeboarding, ect. Maybe with more updates down the line. I also hope these sports will all have alternate or training modes like the first 2 games.

It appears to be £30.99 in the U.K. Result!

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

We should get a VGChartz league going! Challenges, rankings, tournaments, the works! We could even get a writer to make articles on tournament results, bringing more attention to the league and get the community more engaged. Could be a lot of fun!

Kakadu18 said:
RolStoppable said:

Somewhat sad? No.

It's pathetic that Nintendo put out such low quality controllers. Apparently the Joy-Cons produced after 2019 are of higher quality, but I haven't had one of these myself.

I can confirm that, I got a new Switch in 2020 and never had drifting again. Before that I had three pairs with drift within 3 years.

The big problem with the older ones is not so much drifting - as that’s far more trivial than it’s made out to be since it just requires some contact cleaner to fix—spray a little in and swirl the analog until it coats the gear; do this again on day 2, and then you might need it again in about a week, then drifting is usually gone for over a year; just repeat if it comes back. Most controllers in my household are from launch year.

The big problem is the launch year controllers have a tendency to cut out for a split second, but I’ve only found it to be a problem in Ring Fit Adventure challenges that require 100% perfection; it wasn’t a problem with Arms, and I don’t anticipate it’ll be one for Switch Sports.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Finally. I'm guessing this isn't going to do big numbers on the Switch Lite.

Just a proper NSMB left to go now.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!