By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The Road to 160m+ for Nintendo Switch

Tober said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

Well, let's look at the data here, shall we?

Twilight Princess sold more than Skyward sword, which sold more than A Link between Worlds, which sold more than Majora's Mask 3D, which sold more than Tri Force Heroes - and they released in that order until Breath of the Wild released.

So yes, this really compares well as Zelda also seemingly was on the decline before Breath of the Wild showed how well a great Zelda title can sell

If we use data let's not omit some of it shall we?

Ocarina of Time3D sold better than Skyward Sword and Phantom Hourglass. A Link Between worlds and Majora's Mask3D sold better than Spirit Tracks. Not sure why we start with Twilight Princess, it's not the first of its kind. But if we like to start with Gamecube then why not add Wind Waker to the conversation. And if we add the multiplayer Triforce Heroes, why not Four Sword Adventures, which Triforce Heroes handily wins.

Since mentioning the OoT/MM remakes on the 3DS, one should also consider the remake of Link's Awakening on Switch. For clarity's sake I'm not including the remasters Wind WakerHD, Twillight PrincessHD nor Skyward SwordHD

Breath of the Wild is a massive success. So is Link's Awakening Remake and Tears of the Kingdom, but neither will outsell Breath of the Wild.

So yes, Zelda has always been up/down in sales. That it has a higher ceiling nowadays does not change that.

A sequel almost never sells better than the original. A remake almost never sells better than the original.
I dont need to explain that.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 160 million (was 120 million, then 140 million, then 150 million)

PS5: 130 million (was 124 million)

Xbox Series X/S: 54 million (was 60 million, then 57 million)

"The way to accomplish great things, is to be indefatigable and never rest till the thing is accomplished." - Joseph Smith Jr.

Around the Network
The_Liquid_Laser said:
Jumpin said:

Wasn't the whole cliff argument about Switch's success during the first year being an illusion of launch hype, and would ultimately be a failure because of dying sales after the launch hype ran out?

That was the original cliff argument, but it seems to change every year.  A new cliff argument comes out whenever Switch has a sudden negative change in sales (or sometimes a positive change too).

Most of 2018: "Nintendo launched all of it's big guns during 2017.  Sales are declining and are going to fall off a cliff."
Then Smash Bros released in late 2018 and critics were silenced for a short amount of time.

Early 2019: "Now that Smash Bros released, Nintendo has launched the last of it's big guns.  Sales are down and are going to fall off a cliff."
Then in the second half of 2019, several strong titles released for Switch and critics were temporarily silenced.

2020: "These high sales for Switch are due to COVID.  As soon as lockdowns end Switch sales will fall off a cliff."

2021:  "These high sales are still due to COVID."

2022 and most of 2023 didn't have much cliff talk because Nintendo released a lot of strong titles during this time period.

Late 2023: "Look at how much Switch sales have dropped.  Sales are about to fall off a cliff."

Heh, it's the same cliff talk that Switch has had for most of it's life.  It's not based on sound reasoning but on irrational beliefs.  Early on there was the irrational belief that Switch couldn't do well, because the Wii U didn't do well.  There is also an irrational belief that a Nintendo system can't beat the PS2's sales record.  Folks, records were made to be broken.  The PS2's record can be beaten and the Switch is the console that can do it.

The difference is this time that it's not "will fall off a cliff." It literally has fallen off a cliff. -46% YoY Americas, -43% YoY Japan. The drop is humoungous. Maybe it can recover in December and pull itself back up over the edge of that cliff and post more respectable numbers, maybe it can't.

But comparing the talk this month to previous baseless "cliff" comments is disingenuous. The Switch in November 2023 has dropped like a rock, that's not a hypothetical irrational belief, it's a fact.

Last edited by Zippy6 - on 14 December 2023

Zippy6 said:

The difference is this time that it's not "will fall off a cliff." It literally has fallen off a cliff. -46% YoY USA, -43% YoY Japan. The drop is humoungous. Maybe it can recover in December and pull itself back up over the edge of that cliff and post more respectable numbers, maybe it can't.

But comparing the talk this month to previous baseless "cliff" comments is disingenuous. The Switch in November 2023 has dropped like a rock, that's not a hypothetical irrational belief, it's a fact.

I am sure Europe will be big drop as well .. As I said earlier in the year, Switch is not making more than 15M this year, continuing the downward path it started since 2020 (between 4 and 5M down every year after it's peak year) and it's perfectly on track for now. With successor next year, (or even without one) I am sure the decline will be at least another 4/5M if not more.

My sales comparison threads:

Ultimate Showdowns: JP 2023 / JP 2024 / 2024 / 2023 / 20222021

Lifetime Showdown / Historical Showdown / YOY Charts / 140M+ Club Chart / Quantity of Games

The_Liquid_Laser said:

There is also an irrational belief that a Nintendo system can't beat the PS2's sales record.  Folks, records were made to be broken.  The PS2's record can be beaten and the Switch is the console that can do it.

There is no such thing as impossible or can't. There is however thing as " won't " or thing as " the manufacturer don't give a f**k, therefore it won't do enough in order for this to happen " . Guess what. This is one of those cases. Nintendo DS is the other case .

You are right about the records, there is a moment when the record will be broken. And obviously now is not that moment, and the Switch is not the console. Maybe PS5 is ? It is still too early to call .. The record is record because it's tough to repeat it. DS was so close, and I am sure back in 2011/2012 many people were 100% sure DS will break the records, however it didn't. When you are so far in front of all like PS2, you have to come swinging with sales of above 200k weekly not only after 100M, not only after 120M, not only after 130M but after 140M and maybe even after 145M to be sure the given console is beating PS2 (or to compensate for big cliff from the likes of Wii, DS, PS4 just in case it happens). You have to be better than the normal trajectory suggest, because as we see, it isn't looking so hard when you are at 100, 120, 130, 140M and you are selling well (PS4, NSW, NDS) and people start to talk about system that is 30, 40, 50M away. And the closer you come the harder it becomes, just like mountain. The Switch is the next example in the line. The closer you get, the more of momentum of sales you loose. It is the same way in many other things too. When you are of the top of your game then you can fell the baddest and the fastest. (and very often it happens). That's why no one should underestimate the record holders and most notably no one should underestimate those last 10,15,20M to the finish line in our case. Until you are in your full power, a hair of distance before the record holders, until then you can't talk with certainty.. just like the most of people here about Switch reaching PS2, just like pretty much everyone in 2011/2012 for the DS reaching PS2, just like even the many people about PS4 in 2019 and even 2020 (yes, including me, which I was wrong about, in big part because of my thoughts on what Sony will do, but still, I learn my mistake, manufacturer's don't give a s**t, and PS2 trajectory is not happening again).

So with declining sales DS didn't do it, Switch won't, PS4 was even very far. So 3 tries, 3 of them failed. That's why I am saying it has to be more than that. That's why I am saying when you are very close to PS2 (above 140M you have to be at your peak or at worst 1 year after your peak) to be sure you will pass it. Yes I know it is little bit shocking, but the chances of stopping your momentum of sales obviously are the biggest when you are at numbers between 100 and 150M. (PS4, GAMEBOY, NSW, NDS, PS2, just PS2 finished last) Maybe it's saturation point I don't know. However if you want to be 100% or at least 80% sure that a given system will beat PS2, then give me hitting 120M in it's peak year, reaching 145 - 150M in it's next 2 years after that peak year (something like Switch declines after 2020, not the DS/Wii ones), then you are in the game. Then even with big drops it's last 2-3 years surely will do some 10M in total passing PS2. The other variant is PS2 trajectory, but as we all know and see PS2 trajectory hasn't been repeated by no one. So I just rule that out. Crawling just isn't going to cut it. It didn't with DS, it won't with NSW (yes, by the time 2025 comes, Switch will be crawling and it will be about 15M short of it's target). That's why I am saying you have to be swinging in those 140-150M lifetime numbers, not crawling. You should be no more than 2 years after you peak year when you are closing in on 150M, to be absolutely sure you are beating PS2 big time.

And yes, records were made to be broken. The same was said by someone in 2011 for the DS I am sure. Just like it is now by you for the Switch, same will be the result. Even maybe little bit worse, cuz with those declines that Switch shows now, I am even doubting if it will reach close to DS lifetime sales let alone the almost 160M of the PS2 ..

Last edited by XtremeBG - on 14 December 2023

My sales comparison threads:

Ultimate Showdowns: JP 2023 / JP 2024 / 2024 / 2023 / 20222021

Lifetime Showdown / Historical Showdown / YOY Charts / 140M+ Club Chart / Quantity of Games

Bofferbrauer2 said:

Twilight Princess sold more than Skyward sword, which sold more than A Link between Worlds, which sold more than Majora's Mask 3D, which sold more than Tri Force Heroes - and they released in that order until Breath of the Wild released.

So yes, this really compares well as Zelda also seemingly was on the decline before Breath of the Wild showed how well a great Zelda title can sell

A Link Between Worlds sold more than Skyward Sword though.

Around the Network
S.Peelman said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

Yes I don't really see concrete evidence that the Zelda franchise was losing popularity. Skyward Sword selling less than Twilight Princess is expected. Majora's Mask selling less than A Link Between Worlds is expected.

The later titles on a console always sell worse than the early titles due to lack of legs, as the system they are on is replaced sooner. Below is each consoles game in release order, this pattern will continue with ToTK selling less than BOTW I'm sure. Really the sales numbers are just reliant on how popular the console was and how soon after the game released was the console replaced. Until BOTW which clearly marked a huge step-up for the franchise.

Wii
Twilight Princess - 7.5m
Skyward Sword - 3.67m

3DS
Ocarina of Time 3D - 6.44m
A Link Between Worlds - 4.26m
Majora's Mask 3D - 3.46m

WiiU
Wind Waker HD - 2.37m
Breath of the Wild - 1.7m

Switch
Breath of the Wild - 31.15m
Links Awakening - 6.46m
Skyward Sword HD - 4.15m
Tears of the Kingdom - 19.5m

S.Peelman said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

I was going by the sales numbers on the site, and they give me 3.57M for A Link Between Worlds versus 3.97M for Skyward Sword

Despite shockingly low results for November in the USA, I don't see a reason to put much stock into it. After all, both the PS5 and XSX|S had weak results too and they shouldn't have had them, because it's their third year of availability. Switch having a bigger percentage drop than them had to be expected due to Switch's age, but all things considered, we are not witnessing a Switch-only problem here.

The US retail landscape for holiday sales had started a transformation in the late 2000s when major Black Friday deals were introduced, so already back in 2010 it was more sensible to wait for November and December sales combined before drawing conclusions. Later on Cyber Monday muddled the picture even more, especially because it can fall into either the November or December tracking period depending on the year.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV will outsell Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I was wrong.

XtremeBG said:
Zippy6 said:

The difference is this time that it's not "will fall off a cliff." It literally has fallen off a cliff. -46% YoY USA, -43% YoY Japan. The drop is humoungous. Maybe it can recover in December and pull itself back up over the edge of that cliff and post more respectable numbers, maybe it can't.

I am sure Europe will be big drop as well .. As I said earlier in the year, Switch is not making more than 15M this year, continuing the downward path it started since 2020 (between 4 and 5M down every year after it's peak year) and it's perfectly on track for now. With successor next year, (or even without one) I am sure the decline will be at least another 4/5M if not more.

Europe information just came out so we have:

Americas: -46% YoY
Japan: -43% YoY
EU: -35% YoY  (Does not include UK/Germany)
UK: -19% YoY

Depending on how it did in Germany and the other untracked european countries I'm guessing decline for Europe as a whole will be in the low 20's, 23-25% so a better result than the other regions.

Nintendo always makes the same mistakes. They hold on too long to their platforms. They should have had the Switch 2 out this holiday season, it would have been 6.5 years old, more than long enough. Not surprisingly the sales will have collapsed by the time the 8th year of sales starts in March.