By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - gamrConnect Presents: Their 1131 Greatest Games, as of 2021

Great work as usual. It's always fun to look at how the full compiled list shapes up. A few things I took note of:

-Dark Souls is criminally low at 112. For such an influential game that I genuinely consider better than pretty much anything else that has been released in the last decade, it just feels weird. Bloodborne should also be much higher than 72.
-I had just three of the games from the community top 10 on my list in general (SMB3 at 31, BotW at 38, Super Metroid at 46), and if the top of the list remains largely the same next year, the number might drop even further because I've already played two new games this year that will take a higher spot than Super Metroid on my list, and possibly the other two as well.
-There were seven games that were only on my list, including two games in my top 10 (three if I go one step further to top 11), which might go at least some way to explain why the top of my list is so different from the combined one.

Can't think of anything else. Already looking forward to this year's event.

Around the Network

I have so much to pour over :D I’ll definitely leave some more thoughts shortly.

Thanks mZuzek for hosting. You’re the MVP!

Mnementh said:
Jaicee said:

EDIT: Well okay, maybe not quite. I note that two, count 'em TWO, original IPs made the top 20 once again,

What do you mean with *original* IPs, because I am lost here? One apparently is Last of Us, what is the other?

Chrono Trigger

Kakadu18 said:
Mnementh said:

What do you mean with *original* IPs, because I am lost here? One apparently is Last of Us, what is the other?

Chrono Trigger

Oh, I see, original means non-sequels. OK, I understand.

Although I have to say, in some cases sequels are very innovative and bring about new and groudnbreaking stuff (Ocarina of Time anyone), while completely new IPs reuse the same old game-mechanics others already do. And in many cases, even if the sequels don't renew everything, it often takes some time to refine the formula to really have a gem on their hand. Which I surely would expect that sequels are more often towards the top of the lists.

Anyways, anyone with me about playing a game that got only one vote to widen their horizons?

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Mnementh said:
Dulfite said:

Nah, it's a GameCube game.

Hmm, will be hard for me then to try it. Maybe the original Paper Mario then, to at least dip into the series.

Original Paper Mario is amazing as well, some even like it more. TTYD is a more refined, expanded experience, and a lot funnier. But PM64 is an absolutely fantastic game. It has rather simple combat mechanics, but the story/charm/character development/humor are all top notch.

Around the Network
Mnementh said:
Kakadu18 said:

Chrono Trigger

Although I have to say, in some cases sequels are very innovative and bring about new and groudnbreaking stuff (Ocarina of Time anyone), while completely new IPs reuse the same old game-mechanics others already do. And in many cases, even if the sequels don't renew everything, it often takes some time to refine the formula to really have a gem on their hand. Which I surely would expect that sequels are more often towards the top of the lists.

Anyways, anyone with me about playing a game that got only one vote to widen their horizons?

Well Baldur's Gate got only one vote, and I was planning to play that already, so yea :D

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

Darashiva said:

Great work as usual. It's always fun to look at how the full compiled list shapes up. A few things I took note of:

-Dark Souls is criminally low at 112. For such an influential game that I genuinely consider better than pretty much anything else that has been released in the last decade, it just feels weird. Bloodborne should also be much higher than 72.
-I had just three of the games from the community top 10 on my list in general (SMB3 at 31, BotW at 38, Super Metroid at 46), and if the top of the list remains largely the same next year, the number might drop even further because I've already played two new games this year that will take a higher spot than Super Metroid on my list, and possibly the other two as well.
-There were seven games that were only on my list, including two games in my top 10 (three if I go one step further to top 11), which might go at least some way to explain why the top of my list is so different from the combined one.

I wanted to check the same stats.

Only one game from the community top 10 made my list. Super Mario 64.

I contributed 15 unique games to the list. One of those games being one of the most popular games in the world in League of Legends. I suppose PC in general has a lack of love here.

It was also absolutely shocking to me that 3 people had Nioh, but I was the only one to also have Nioh 2. Nioh 2 being an equally good if not far superior game.

Farsala said:
Darashiva said:

I wanted to check the same stats.

Only one game from the community top 10 made my list. Super Mario 64.

I contributed 15 unique games to the list. One of those games being one of the most popular games in the world in League of Legends. I suppose PC in general has a lack of love here.

It was also absolutely shocking to me that 3 people had Nioh, but I was the only one to also have Nioh 2. Nioh 2 being an equally good if not far superior game.

I played League of Legends for about 7 or 8 years, but I haven't in the last year (just no time). I've often considered putting it in my top 50, but my feelings on the game change constantly and drastically, so I just haven't. As far as Nioh goes, I've played the first one and I liked it, but not enough to put it in my top 50, and I haven't played the sequel, yet at least.

UnderwaterFunktown said:
Mnementh said:

Well Baldur's Gate got only one vote, and I was planning to play that already, so yea :D

What, Baldur's Gate got only one vote? That is mine then. Someone voted for BGII, which wasn't me, but Baldur's Gate III (early access) is my vote again. One of the few series that make my list twice.

But yeah, great classical RPG.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

I counted my unique contributions to the list too and here they are it is : Battletoads (NES).

I have a few where I'm one of two votes.

As for the Top 10, 8 of out 10 are on my list. (Ocarina of Time and Mario Kart 8 being the ones not featured).

Signature goes here!