By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - gamrConnect Presents: Their 1131 Greatest Games, as of 2021

Runa216 said:

I'm not surprised but the entire top ten is Nintendo games. Of those top 10, 9 of them are Zelda and Mario.

Furthermore, the #11 spot - making it the best game of all time that isn't a Nintendo game - is Final Fantasy VII.

I find a lot of these spots odd, but Nintendo dominating makes me happy. They are a weird company that does a lot of weird things, but when they make games they usually do great! And were WAY ahead of the curve 30 years ago.

My favorite two franchises dominating is heartwarming to me.

Around the Network
The_Liquid_Laser said:
JWeinCom said:

To whoever remembered Astro Boy: The Omega Factor... you the real MVP. Can't believe I forgot that one.

LOL, that was me.  It's the best original action game on the GBA, at least from the ones I've played.  I try to sneak it in near the end of my list each year.

Great game. Definitely would have put it over a lot of the ones on my list. But it's hard to remember it all. 

Here are some of my thoughts:

First of all a huge thanks to mZuzek.  This looks like a lot of work, and I appreciate all of the effort you put into this.

I looked through the 101-200 list and there are a lot of really good games in there.  It makes me appreciate just how much the top 100 must represent the cream of the crop, even though some of you have very different tastes than me on some of these games *cough*Wind Waker*cough*.  Anyway there were some standout entries in the top 100 for me.

Tales of Symphonia (#96) - I've never played a Tales game, and I've always wondered where to start if I did.  Looks like Tales of Symphonia might be a good candidate.

Age of Empires 2 (#87) - Seriously, this game was not on my radar at all.  Sometimes I'm looking for a good old strategy game that I've never played before.  I didn't realize AoE2 was such a hit.

Hollow Knight (#24) - For an indie game to rank so high, that means I need to try it out sometime this year.

Metroid Dread (#16) - Man, you guys really frikken love Metroid Dread.  Not sure if I will like it, or if I will play it anytime soon.  But I am surprised how many awards and stuff are going toward this game, not just in this thread but in general.  Clearly, there is a certain part of the gaming community that really loves this game.

Top 10/20 -  Ok, so Nintendo games swept the top 10 this time.  That was kind of expected.  However, there is actually a pretty good variety in the 11-20 slots, which I see as progress.  Look at this:

20.  The Last of Us (PS3)
19.  Final Fantasy 9 (PS1)
18.  Persona 5 (PS3/PS4)
17.  Final Fantasy 6 (SNES)
16. Metroid Dread (NSW)
15.  Chrono Trigger (SNES)
14. LoZ: Twilight Princess (GCN/Wii)
13.  Super Mario World (SNES)
12.  Metroid Prime (GCN)
11.  Final Fantasy 7 (PS1)

If you look at those games, there is actually a pretty good variety there.  (I put the system the game originally appeared on unless it had a simultaneous release.)  Six of the games originally came to Nintendo systems and four originally came to Sony systems.  Also there are games from several different time periods there.  Of course it's not perfect because it leaves out Microsoft, Sega, the 80's and handhelds.  But still, I think there is more variety there than previous years, so that is pretty good.   

Last edited by The_Liquid_Laser - on 20 January 2022

JWeinCom said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

LOL, that was me.  It's the best original action game on the GBA, at least from the ones I've played.  I try to sneak it in near the end of my list each year.

Great game. Definitely would have put it over a lot of the ones on my list. But it's hard to remember it all. 

I'll have to remind you next year.  "Astro Boy!  Astro Boy!"

Last edited by The_Liquid_Laser - on 20 January 2022

Awesome job with the list! I'm going to have to get the younger crowd to play through Chrono Trigger so we can get that higher on the list next year!

Around the Network
coolbeans said:
Dulfite said:

Noooooo. Then you'll negate my story-driven scores. You did that enough when I was an official writer, you can't do it to me here too! ;)

There's no escaping me, Dulf! >:D

Fine! Have at it with your list next year! lol

First of all, I want to say thank you to @mZuzek for making this. It's great! I loved participating for the first time - excited to possibly do the discussion thread stuff later this year :)

Second of all, cool list! Wouldn't say there's enough high-ranking Capcom representation for my tastes, and the Xbox 360 launch exclusives seem to be charting a little low, but what you gonna do ;)

Going to be interesting to see how things change next year. Hoping the top 2 Metroid games chart even higher and that there's even more diversity next year! For my money, Metroid really is just as good, if not better, than Mario & Zelda, but I get it's nicher hahaha!. 

Last edited by AngryLittleAlchemist - on 21 January 2022

Great job with the event like always!

Honestly I always look forward more to the discussion thread than the actual results because it's always the same games near the top (though most of them are certainly deserving) and overall it's pretty predictable.

Though I must say that the #4 definitely is not top 5 material or even top 10 material. Also, Tales of Symphonia is so inferior to the other two Team Symphonia games but I guess being one of the few worthy Gamecube JPRGs has always helped it in this kind of contests.

Last edited by Link_Nines.XBC - on 21 January 2022

Link_Nines.XBC said:

Great job with the event like always!

Honestly I always look forward more to the discussion thread than the actual results because it's always the same games near the top and overall it's pretty predictable.

Though I must say that the #4 definitely is not top 5 material or even top 10 material. Also, Tales of Symphonia is so inferior to the other two Team Symphonia games but I guess being one of the few worthy Gamecube JPRGs has always helped it in this kind of contests.

Wind Waker is just too charming to people. It's not really something that can easily be quantified. Robots could write essays about what makes Ocarina of Time a great transition into 3D. It takes an actual heart to like Wind Waker, but as a result you have to overlook a lot of the more meh moments.

It was the first Zelda game I really played, and my memories of it are great, but even being left with just memories I can't say I remember any super good dungeon or level design in the game. Didn't even finish it once I got to the Triforce quest, hence why I won't put it on my list till Nintendo makes it easily accessible again. 

Great to see Tales of Symphonia in the top 100 again, cutting it a little close, but it made it! Also awesome to see Astral Chain breaking into the top 100, and at a pretty solid spot.

And Dread... did pretty ok I guess.

Spoiler!
holy moly

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat