By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - gamrConnect Presents: Their 1131 Greatest Games, as of 2021

Darashiva said:

Great work as usual. It's always fun to look at how the full compiled list shapes up. A few things I took note of:

-Dark Souls is criminally low at 112. For such an influential game that I genuinely consider better than pretty much anything else that has been released in the last decade, it just feels weird. Bloodborne should also be much higher than 72.
-I had just three of the games from the community top 10 on my list in general (SMB3 at 31, BotW at 38, Super Metroid at 46), and if the top of the list remains largely the same next year, the number might drop even further because I've already played two new games this year that will take a higher spot than Super Metroid on my list, and possibly the other two as well.
-There were seven games that were only on my list, including two games in my top 10 (three if I go one step further to top 11), which might go at least some way to explain why the top of my list is so different from the combined one.

Can't think of anything else. Already looking forward to this year's event.

Dark Souls is definitely too low, but I think Demon's Souls at #141 is even more unfortunate. I was hopeful the PS5 remake would drum up some more support, but it only rose four spots YOY :-/

Around the Network

After looking through the data, I need to make my annual plug for the following games:

Deus Ex at #225 (my #2) - if you love action RPGs, emergent gameplay, and the ability to play the game your way, you have to play this game
Tomb Raider (1996) at #247 (my #27) - trust me; this early 3D action-adventure game holds up even today
Psychonauts at #332 (my #28) - if you fancy 3D platform-adventure games in the Mario/Banjo mold, give this ingenious game a try

The top 20 is something Personally, I think Super Mario and The Legend of Zelda are the two best video game series of all time, but I'd love to see more diversity in the front half of the list. I suppose it's a product of so many individual Mario and Zelda titles being so beloved.

I think the only game that only I ranked was Beyond Good & Evil. I'm holding down the fort, @Mnementh :)

Question about the Civilization series for those that voted for it:

I love this series and have played I-III and VI and put III and VI on my list (III ahead of VI). But now I see that IV is the highest ranked game on this list. For those that put IV on your list...what makes it the best in your opinion? I may give IV a shot if it's that much better than the rest.

Switch: SW-3707-5131-3911
XBox: Kenjabish

Here is how my games fared, since these are the kinds of stats people are reporting.

Top 10  - 2 games (BotW and TttP)
Top 20  - 5 games total
Top 100 - 11 games total

Games where I am the only vote - 14

It turns out that half of my games are neither top 100 material nor are they total Lone Rangers.  I saw a whole lot of my games get 2-4 votes.  The main reason is that I have gaming for a really long time, and I've played a crap-ton of games.  The games on my list, are ones that many people would consider good if they actually played them.  Many of them are so old though, that they aren't given a chance anymore.  Thirty years ago it would seem cliche to put Double Dragon (arcade) on the best games of all time.  However, nowadays most people have simply never played the arcade version of Double Dragon.  Ah well, the classics will still be represented on my list next year even if most people have never played them.

Machina said:
theRepublic said:

I seem to be the only vote for:

The Simpsons: Hit & Run
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10
The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction
LostWinds 2: Winter of the Melodias
World of Goo
Affordable Space Adventures
Star Wars: The Clone Wars
Fluidity

So 8 games.  Highest rated is Fluidity at my 30th place.  The top couple are in danger of falling off, so they may be gone in the next year or two.

World of Goo is my #51, and has been in my top 50 before, so it was close to having two votes ^^

Yeah, I was really surprised to see that one.  It was a huge indie darling when it came out, but it seems like everyone forgot about it.  I guess it is 13 years old now, so hardly anyone cares anymore.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Around the Network
kenjab said:

Question about the Civilization series for those that voted for it:

I love this series and have played I-III and VI and put III and VI on my list (III ahead of VI). But now I see that IV is the highest ranked game on this list. For those that put IV on your list...what makes it the best in your opinion? I may give IV a shot if it's that much better than the rest.

I don't have your answer because I prefer III to IV. But IV is a great game on its own. Classic Civ play was at its best for this entry. The combat made a lot more sense too. While CIV III, I prefer the scenarios. IV is definitely in my top 100 games, but it didn't make top 50. 

I think it also came out at a more convenient time when more gamers were getting into PC games. Civ III was released as a mangled mess until the complete edition.

Veknoid_Outcast said:

After looking through the data, I need to make my annual plug for the following games:

Deus Ex at #225 (my #2) - if you love action RPGs, emergent gameplay, and the ability to play the game your way, you have to play this game
Tomb Raider (1996) at #247 (my #27) - trust me; this early 3D action-adventure game holds up even today
Psychonauts at #332 (my #28) - if you fancy 3D platform-adventure games in the Mario/Banjo mold, give this ingenious game a try

The top 20 is something Personally, I think Super Mario and The Legend of Zelda are the two best video game series of all time, but I'd love to see more diversity in the front half of the list. I suppose it's a product of so many individual Mario and Zelda titles being so beloved.

I think the only game that only I ranked was Beyond Good & Evil. I'm holding down the fort, @Mnementh :)

Unplayed in my Steam library I have Dues Ex, Psychonauts, and Beyond Good & Evil.  I'll get to them someday.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Thank you so much, mZuzek!