By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - gamrConnect Presents: Their 1131 Greatest Games, as of 2021

Great work as always. Have to give it a closer look later.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Around the Network
Dulfite said:

- How have only 12 people (out of what, 70 lists/people?) have Paper Mario: TTYD on their list? That means there are 58 people that never played the game. There are literally no other reasons for that game not being at least in your top 50. Unless you like nothing but mature, gritty, dark, gruesome games, you should at least enjoy the heck out of PM: TTYD enough to put it in your top 50. No execuses, people! You've got a year to get it together and play that game. ONE YEAR.

I admit, I never player any Paper Mario. TTYD is generally named as the best, so maybe I should give it a try. It is on Nintendo Online N64, right?

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Awesome work once again mZuzek! Thanks for everything.

Now, there's of course plenty I could say about all this. What I noticed most is, like everyone did, the brilliant debut of Metroid Dread at #16! With 24 people voting. Very impressive, I might have to get that game sooner rather than later. Mario dominates the top 10, but I guess that's expected with such a long series of unique and recognisable games. Then, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild really is still the victor by a landslide; 40 votes out of 67 compiled lists, and probably most of them have the game at the top or near the top of their lists. I also noticed I was the only voter for quite a few of the games on my own list, even some near my top or some that are well known. Like, no one else voted for Duck Hunt or MediEvil, I'm saddened. What is funny though, is that I think I'm solely responsible for the top 2 of the 'mobile' list, since I noted I played Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic and Prince of Persia also on mobile.

However, there's also a few crimes here. I already mentioned MediEvil, and it's as low as #521. People, people, people, people. Anno 1602 at #435, again I'm the only voter. People, people, people, what has come of this world. Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic at #173 is also much too low, but at least there's a couple votes for that one.

But then, the greatest crime of all, is that The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, a game that's only 24 years old this year, is at the shockingly low #3 spot. Should be way, way, way higher obviously.

I jest, I'm happy to have read everyone's game-stories, and I really tried to read every one of them. I'm happy to have written my own, and I hope everyone liked reading mine as well. It was a fun time, so thanks again mZuzek!

First of all: thanks mZuzek for organizing the event, it is one of the highlights on this site in my opinion.

More to the details:

One Must Fall: 2097 made the list! It sadly didn't made my list this year (only 50 titles is REALLY limiting), but I am happy to see it is still represented. Thank you whoever put it in their list.

I am apparently the only one voting for Battle for Wesnoth, it seems not enough people played it. It is free guys!

Gylt is a little indie gem, that kinda dies with the Stadia exclusivity. It is totally worth it. You can buy it separately, without a Stadia subscription.

Beyond Good & Evil is a great game, again didn't made it in my list of 50, but @Veknoid_Outcast represented it, thank you very much.

King's Bounty II is again a game only I voted for. I hope more people will pick it up in the future. As I learned, it's history is connected to 3DO and Heroes of Might and Magic, which explains why I like it. There are definitive similarities to the Heroes series, but also with only one hero it allows for a much more focused story. I should play older entries in the King's Bounty series, this was the first time I got aware of it.

Radiant Historia is a game I already have but resides still in my backlog. I totally need to play that to form a proper opinion.

Phoenix Point was apparently only voted by me. For everyone enjoying X-COM, that is the game from the guy who invented X-COM initially in the 90s.

Rhythm Heaven Fever (which is to me as a european known as Beat the Beat: Rhythm Paradise) is a game I liked on the Wii, but again, only 50 spots isn't enough. Thanks for @green_sky for including it.

Romance of the three Kingdoms has too many games. I played XIV as the first game in the series this year, and it instantly made my list. But I see the series represented with four different games, only one of which got two votes.

People start to see the light on some of my favorite games though, there was a second vote each for Star Wars: Dark Forces, Pandora's Tower and Heroes of Might and Magic III. Thank you all for playing and liking games that are not that mainstream, but also totally worth it. Child of Light got even four votes, a total gem of a game.

I on the other hand played A Short Hike for the first time and totally loved it and I am now the second one voting for it. Same with Spiritfarer, which deserves more than two votes.

After that we get into the area of more mainstream games, which probably everyone knows anyways.

Maybe we should each pick a game that only one of us had in it's list, and play it this year. Because it probably is a worthy game making one of the exclusive 50 spots in a list, but not well known enough. For me that might be Radiant Historia, or maybe Wizardry 8. Or Alpha Centauri, also a game I wanted to try for some time. Not sure yet, but at least one of these I should play over the course of the year.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

Mnementh said:
Dulfite said:

- How have only 12 people (out of what, 70 lists/people?) have Paper Mario: TTYD on their list? That means there are 58 people that never played the game. There are literally no other reasons for that game not being at least in your top 50. Unless you like nothing but mature, gritty, dark, gruesome games, you should at least enjoy the heck out of PM: TTYD enough to put it in your top 50. No execuses, people! You've got a year to get it together and play that game. ONE YEAR.

I admit, I never player any Paper Mario. TTYD is generally named as the best, so maybe I should give it a try. It is on Nintendo Online N64, right?

Nah, it's a GameCube game.

Around the Network

Thanks for hosting, space raccoon. Another job well done! *pets the top of your head*

Commentary: There are too many Nintendo games!

I think my job here is done.

EDIT: Well okay, maybe not quite. I note that two, count 'em TWO, original IPs made the top 20 once again, and just wanted to take credit for that because The Last of Us (ranking in 20th place) actually lost five votes this year compared to last year (when it also placed 20th), so the fact that it's still in the top 20 is very likely owed to my moving it up to second place on my list. Otherwise, it would've been overtaken by Majora's Mask, making 15 out of the top 20 titles Nintendo games and 19 sequels. Same principle with The Last of Us Part II: it moved up ten ranks this year despite getting the same number of votes probably because I moved it up to #1 on my list. So YaY me! My impact on this site is actually visible this year!

Last edited by Jaicee - on 21 January 2022

Dulfite said:
Mnementh said:

Nah, it's a GameCube game.

Hmm, will be hard for me then to try it. Maybe the original Paper Mario then, to at least dip into the series.

Last edited by Mnementh - on 21 January 2022

rapsuperstar31 said:

Awesome job with the list! I'm going to have to get the younger crowd to play through Chrono Trigger so we can get that higher on the list next year!

I tried to get the DS version, but all I found went for over 200€. I wished they'd bring it to modern systems.

Jaicee said:

EDIT: Well okay, maybe not quite. I note that two, count 'em TWO, original IPs made the top 20 once again,

What do you mean with *original* IPs, because I am lost here? One apparently is Last of Us, what is the other?

mZuzek said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

I looked through the 101-200 list and there are a lot of really good games in there.  It makes me appreciate just how much the top 100 must represent the cream of the crop, even though some of you have very different tastes than me on some of these games *cough*Wind Waker*cough*.  Anyway there were some standout entries in the top 100 for me.

Hollow Knight (#24) - For an indie game to rank so high, that means I need to try it out sometime this year.

Top 10/20 -  Ok, so Nintendo games swept the top 10 this time.  That was kind of expected.  However, there is actually a pretty good variety in the 11-20 slots, which I see as progress.

I feel like the bar was especially high for getting into the top 100 this year, every game on there had at least 7 votes despite the amount of entrants being lower. That said we got quite a few new entrants, or at least games that hadn't been on there for a long time (since before I was doing this). There really is a lot of good stuff in the 100-200 range.

I think you should definitely try out Hollow Knight, since you like the first Metroid. Hollow Knight I feel is to that game sorta what Breath of the Wild is to the original Zelda - a much more modern take, but still retaining that sense of freedom and exploration the original had. Obviously Hollow Knight isn't as open as Breath of the Wild, but it's almost as open as the original Metroid. As a fan of the game myself, it's been really awesome seeing it rise through these rankings year after year, crazy to see it almost breaking into the top 20 now - on my first year of doing this, it had just missed out on the top 100.

And about the 11-20 range, I think it's kinda funny you mention that, because halfway through compiling, many of those games were in the top 10. I distinctly remember seeing Persona 5 and Portal 2 in the top 10 at some point and getting hyped over it, but as I compiled more lists, it eventually became overrun with Mario games as usual. At this point I don't really get disappointed anymore, if anything I'm happy Persona 5 made it so high up. But I can't say I will ever understand what's the deal with Super Mario Bros. 3.

Edit: and speaking of personal notes, I'm proud of my Guardians for getting into the top 200. Non-Nintendo games never have the best debuts here, never mind a game released less than a week before the cut-off date, so, gives me hope for better things in the future. Spider-Man just finally broke into the top 100 this year, so the doors are open for Marvel games.

Bold: It's god damn fun.

Also thanks for all the work you did here. Really appreciate it.