By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - gamrConnect Presents: Their 1131 Greatest Games, as of 2021

Nice work mZuzek! I think I love all games in the Top 20.

Signature goes here!

Around the Network

While you might say the top 100 is particularly dominated by Nintendo, I think the GOTYs list is quite interesting.

It has quite good balance since 2000.

Thanks for doing all this once again! Was a lot of fun! Initial thoughts on this list:

- It's crazy how Metroid Dread is ALREADY 16th on this list. There are tons on this site that still have it on their backlog to buy or beat (I'm still only like 2/3's through it and don't allow myself to review until I'm done with a game). It came out right before we start making this list so I'm really curious how high it will go in the next couple of years after most gamers that want to play it will have.

- I can not comprehend FF8 being in the top 100, let alone as high as it is. That game almost single-handedly derailed me from getting more into JRPGs. I started with FF9, which rightfully belongs high up like it is, and absolutely adored Dragon Quest 11 S, but FF8 almost killed the momentum I had. If it weren't for me trying out and loving JRPG's again after playing DQ1-3 I may have just quit the genre after giving up on FF8. That stupid annoying card-based combat? How could anybody like that nonsense? Cars in a FF game? The silly, cheezy (not in a good way) school drama? How could people love this? Are people just intentionally trolling by putting this game in lol?

- I'm not sure anyone will be beating Botw in the near future. I suspect Botw 2 will be popular, probably even make the top 100, but it doesn't have that newness feel Botw 1 had.

- How have only 12 people (out of what, 70 lists/people?) have Paper Mario: TTYD on their list? That means there are 58 people that never played the game. There are literally no other reasons for that game not being at least in your top 50. Unless you like nothing but mature, gritty, dark, gruesome games, you should at least enjoy the heck out of PM: TTYD enough to put it in your top 50. No execuses, people! You've got a year to get it together and play that game. ONE YEAR.

- Horizon Zero Dawn made it that high? I may have to try it afterall. I was going to when it came out on PC a while back, but people (on this site) and steam reviews turned me off from getting it. But I'm having such a good experience with gow 2018 I may have to try it!

- Banjo Kazooie was only on 10 lists. It just came home, finally, after all these years, on a Nintendo platform today. I have a feeling that game will have a lot more votes come next year.

- I REALLY need to beat Super Mario RPG. I was in the groove of playing it on Wii U, then got distracted and now don't want to bother setting up my Wii U again lol.

Last edited by Dulfite - on 20 January 2022

To whoever remembered Astro Boy: The Omega Factor... you the real MVP. Can't believe I forgot that one.

The GOAT wins once again. Metroid Dread at #16 is impressive and great to see.

Also interesting is how Super Mario Galaxy has such a lead in front of Ocarina of Time.

Around the Network
coolbeans said:

I ought to join for next year's list.

Noooooo. Then you'll negate my story-driven scores. You did that enough when I was an official writer, you can't do it to me here too! ;)

Kakadu18 said:

Also interesting is how Super Mario Galaxy has such a lead in front of Ocarina of Time.

Galaxy 1 had a more recent bump into people's short term memory and exposure for newer players with the All Stars bundle that came out (last year?). Ocarina of Time is on Nintendo Online, but so are a bunch of other games so it kind of got buried, plus it was a remastered version or anything like the three Mario games got.

Dulfite said:
Kakadu18 said:

Galaxy 1 had a more recent bump into people's short term memory and exposure for newer players with the All Stars bundle that came out (last year?). Ocarina of Time is on Nintendo Online, but so are a bunch of other games so it kind of got buried, plus it was a remastered version or anything like the three Mario games got.

Well that would make it even more unfortunate that Super Mario Sunshine didn't into the top 100.

Also disappointed that Ys VIII isn't in the top 100, but it's a niche franchise so no surprise here.

JWeinCom said:

To whoever remembered Astro Boy: The Omega Factor... you the real MVP. Can't believe I forgot that one.

LOL, that was me.  It's the best original action game on the GBA, at least from the ones I've played.  I try to sneak it in near the end of my list each year.

I'm not surprised but the entire top ten is Nintendo games. Of those top 10, 9 of them are Zelda and Mario.

Furthermore, the #11 spot - making it the best game of all time that isn't a Nintendo game - is Final Fantasy VII.

I find a lot of these spots odd, but Nintendo dominating makes me happy. They are a weird company that does a lot of weird things, but when they make games they usually do great! And were WAY ahead of the curve 30 years ago.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android